325i Convertable, General Discussion on extension after 10 years

Barry

Dear Friends,

Would appreciate any feedback on the following. This is my first post for feedback so please excuse if it is unclear.

1. I own and have been driving the 325i hard top convertible for the last 10 years and it is now 2 months from COE extension. The PARF is 33K and I have done 110 K mileage on the car. The car is due for COE extension in Sept 2018.

2. I was sure that I would extend till a recent damage to the undercarriage requires Gearbox and mechatronics change. In addition I have been advised to change suspension, engine mountings, head and sump gaskets etc with a total approx expense of around 23K S$.

3. Not knowing what other expenses may crop up in the future, I am unsure whether I should extend or buy a new cheaper car of around 120 K. Knowing the approx maintenance costs of older cars of this type will help me to make the best decision.

All feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Ken,

Thank you for our reply. Just to clarify, the 23 K S$ includes the gearbox change complete with the Mechtronics. The rough breakup given by PML is as follows:

1. Gearbox change 13 K
2. All others and generally as mentioned in your mail 10K S$

Regards

Thank you and I will recheck the price for the repairs.
The main question I have and would appreciate your help on is, even if I do undertake these repairs, what sort of maintenance costs should expect, say years, once this car crosses over the 10 year age?
Thank you

Thank you and I will recheck the price for the repairs.
The main question I have and would appreciate your help on is, even if I do undertake these repairs, what sort of maintenance costs should expect, say years, once this car crosses over the 10 year age?
Thank you

It's difficult to predict which part will fail and when it will fail hence i doubt maintenance cost can be accurately calculated.

Having said that, the fact that you owned the car for 10 years puts you at better starting point than most since you already know what needs to be fixed and what has been fixed. I don't think part prices will increase given the number of COE E9x cars we have around and the wide array of BMW workshops and the ease of indenting parts via Eng Soon.

Also the quote you got from PML is exorbitant to say the least.
OEM suspension replacement can be had for around $1k.
Gasket replacement + engine/gearbox mount can be done for $1k+.
How they arrived at the $10k figure is beyond me.

This is my opinion, please feel free to disagree.

Dear E60

I fully agree with you about the un-predicitbilty of an older car. For rough calculation purposes, I have allowed for 30K over the next 10 years averaging 3K S$ / year. Does it seem reasonable?

I also agree that I am in a better position being the first owner and that is the reason, along with lower present COE's , that I am considering extending.

I will definitely check the prices as you are recommending. The price of the spare gearbox with the Mechatronics is around 12K S$ and the 1K is labour for changing the gearbox and Mectronics hence adding to 13K.
The other 10 K is for changing all gaskets of engine, engine mountings, suspensions, vacuum pump etc. Does that still sound very high??

I appreciate your feedback. having done all previous servicing by PML, would also appreciate any recommendations on a reliable workshop who i can recheck the prices with.

Is there any possibility of rechecking gear box prices to see if these are in line with what is being quoted??

Thank you for your time and patience.

Dear E60

I fully agree with you about the un-predicitbilty of an older car. For rough calculation purposes, I have allowed for 30K over the next 10 years averaging 3K S$ / year. Does it seem reasonable?

I also agree that I am in a better position being the first owner and that is the reason, along with lower present COE's , that I am considering extending.

I will definitely check the prices as you are recommending. The price of the spare gearbox with the Mechatronics is around 12K S$ and the 1K is labour for changing the gearbox and Mectronics hence adding to 13K.
The other 10 K is for changing all gaskets of engine, engine mountings, suspensions, vacuum pump etc. Does that still sound very high??

I appreciate your feedback. having done all previous servicing by PML, would also appreciate any recommendations on a reliable workshop who i can recheck the prices with.

Is there any possibility of rechecking gear box prices to see if these are in line with what is being quoted??

Thank you for your time and patience.

Gents,

Thank you all for your guidance.

As recommended by many, I went out and met some workshops for 2nd opinion which I must say varied a bit and got me a bit more confused. I lay it out for the more experienced members to comment.

1. One of the workshops told me that they could overhaul the gearbox complete with clutch change and change the mechtronics for around 4K S$ as opposed to around 13 K for a new one. They did have one open for a different model which they were overhauling and advised that this is a simple procedure. They also gave prices for the other works which of course were lower than PML.

2. the 2nd workshop told me that while this was possible for some gearboxes, the 325i convertible gearbox could not be overhauled and that getting the original from PML was the only option.

Not sure which one is correct and would like views if possible.

Have any members gone in for an gearbox overhaul and what are their experiences? i do realise that even if this is possible, it would depend on the experience and dexterity of the mechanic.

regards

I have a 2006 325i e90, mileage 140K. Not sure if e93 is substantially more costly to maintain but would share that presently my maintenance is running well below $3K per year. I try to maintain my own schedule of preventive maintenance and buy parts (mix of BMW original and OEM parts depending on which part) from stockist (Eng Soon mostly) and ask workshop to install.

I have not gone for gearbox overhaul but read it’s in the range of $4-5K. Not sure about e93 vs e90 but did a surface check on realoem.com the gearbox for e90 and e93 3.25i seems to be identical..but, would defer to feedback from more experienced members !

I have a 2006 325i e90, mileage 140K. Not sure if e93 is substantially more costly to maintain but would share that presently my maintenance is running well below $3K per year. I try to maintain my own schedule of preventive maintenance and buy parts (mix of BMW original and OEM parts depending on which part) from stockist (Eng Soon mostly) and ask workshop to install.

I have not gone for gearbox overhaul but read it’s in the range of $4-5K. Not sure about e93 vs e90 but did a surface check on realoem.com the gearbox for e90 and e93 3.25i seems to be identical..but, would defer to feedback from more experienced members !

THEY ARE IDENTICAL... BUT ONLY 2 TYPES ARE USED... YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHICH ONE.
GM = GA6L45R OR ZF GEARBOX?

Brand Rating
$28.00

Click for More Info
Automatic Transmission Relays, Sensors and Switches
transparent.gif

This section contains the relays, sensors and switches to service and repair the vehicles automatic transmission.
transparent.gif

Auto Trans Gear Selector Valve

Part #: 24-33-7-617-803-M9
[ More Info ]

Note: Thru 08/10, all., From 09/10, only for GM automatic transmission GA6L45R.
pelican_preferred.gif

Brand Rating
$21.75

Click for More Info

Speed Sensor for Automatic Trans GA6L45R

Part #: 24-35-7-646-994-BOE
[ More Info ]

Note: Thru 08/10, all., From 09/10, only for GM automatic transmission GA6L45R.
pelican_preferred.gif

eal for Auto Trans Valve Body (Mechatronic) - Valve Body to Transmission Housing (31.2 mm)​

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back