964 : Breathing life into an old girl...

BorisRS

Did you guys catch this in Sunday's edition of the Newpaper?

>> ASIAONE / MOTORING / OWNERS / STORY
blank.gif

20090427.180648_porsche_964.jpg
blank.gif

Almost $200,000 spent to strip and soup up Porsche
blank.gif

IT'S a coveted racing pedigree, costs a bomb and goes from 0 to 100kmh in five seconds.
But that's not enough for one power-hungry Porsche owner.
The bank officer, who wanted to be known as John, 29, would not reveal how much he has spent on his 18-year-old orange Porsche 964 (above) which he bought in 2007.
He did not want to be named as he didn't want to be seen as a spendthrift in the current economic climate.
He would only hint that on top of the hefty price tag of $100,000, he has spent so much that the car's value is now closer to that of a brand new $200,000-plus Porsche Boxster.
Why spend so much souping up a 3.6-litre sports car that's already built for speed?
"Effectively, I'm creating a better-handling car with components which are more durable, straight from the Porsche factory," said John.
He added that his father used to own a Porsche 964 and he wanted to recreate the "spirit of the race cars in the Carrera Cup series era".
The Carrera Cup series is a long-running race series held in several countries where only Porsches are raced.
John has made the 1.5-tonne car lighter by 400kg by removing the passenger seats, original air-conditioning unit, carpets and installing plastic car windows and engine parts made of lighter material.

porsche_1.jpg

Mod my Porsche |

Everything which is not necessary has been thrown out, like the carpet, glass rear window, passenger seat. The car's shell has also been made stronger
with a roll cage, which protects the driver in a crash.

He has also souped up the engine so that its brake horsepower is now 360 bhp compared to the previous 250 bhp.
To handle this extra power, he had to upgrade the car's suspension and braking system.
Unlike modern supercars which are easier to drive because of technology, older Porsches like the 964 have a unique feel, said John's mechanic, who declined to be named.

He said he was given instructions to build a replica that "has the original rawness of older Porsches".
He also installed a roll cage in the car - a shell that protects the driver in a crash.
And until last Friday, John hadn't driven his car for almost a year.

That was how long the Porsche had been in the workshop.
Now that his pet project is ready, he's not sure whether he'll race it at the Pasir Gudang race circuit.
He has another track car - a Porsche GT3 estimated to be at least $500,000.
But he insists the Porsche 964 won't just sit pretty in his garage.
He will drive it on the roads, but not on race tracks because he fears flying debris from the track could damage the precious paintwork.
John said: "To some extent, my friends think that I'm insane, especially during this economic crisis.
"But you can't set a price on building your dream car on the road."

Not sure whether any of you caught sight of this rather bright orange projective slowly being completely rebuild at Flatsix in Sin Ming....

I like!

Re: 964 : Breathing life into an old girl...

thats a project i'd love to undertake in the future...but does a roll cage make a car road legal? :confused:

saw the shell some weeks ago when it had just been resprayed..
gd stuff..

Owner is a regular PCS trakkie too...

geez....400kg! thats one helluva a porky.

Shows how often I join PCS nowadays! In fact, I have never met you at a PCS event before.... Sad.....

Real nice person and a good driver too... one or two classes/races away from becoming a skip barber trained certified instructor

BorisRS;433028 said:
Shows how often I join PCS nowadays! In fact, I have never met you at a PCS event before.... Sad.....

ha, not that i m very active attending events either....
12th Jun SIC....come ok?

Porkies look sweetest in bright colors :) I applaud the owner for keeping a low profile and for not wanting to appear too extravagant. It is not easy balancing the love for upmarket sports cars and the need to avoid conspicuous consumption.

Actually if I'm him, would rather not be interviewed for the article. Besides the rollcage which is illegal, I'm sure the authorities can nitpick on other stuff easily.. :eek:

Up until the last para of the article, I thought it's a de-reg vehicle.. But still, kudos to his love and efforts man.

What's the logic of a roll-cage being illegal? Unsafe fixture?

doesn't the roll cage prevent the driver from being crushed alive in the event of car turn turtle? If it really is illegal than what the hell is LTA thinking..

= Fundamentally and irreversibly altering the chassis of the vehicle.

Of cos, if it's straight from the factory, ala GT3RS option... shouldn't be a problem I think.

marklee;433060 said:
doesn't the roll cage prevent the driver from being crushed alive in the event of car turn turtle? If it really is illegal than what the hell is LTA thinking..

yep that is in the context of racing..not street....
having said that, quite many road cars hv semi roll cage too....

Polis maybe dun wan kar chiao him cos its a Porsche? wakakaka....

but what a great build... deserves to be in a magazine or sumthin

kenntona;433058 said:
What's the logic of a roll-cage being illegal? Unsafe fixture?
prevent pole dancing inside the car - phil say one

Saw the actual article in the paper... unfortunately it's a sidebar in a bigger story on an illegally modified Proton Wira and Toyota Wish...

Cage does not crumple easy and safety ratings for almost all road cars is without cage. Lack of give has potential to hurt not only the driver (accelerations in a crash, tradeoff for keeping impacts away from driver's body). But also not safe at all without a helmet and harness (unprotected head hits bar) but also any person or car he hits.

foxfrc5;433107 said:
Saw the actual article in the paper... unfortunately it's a sidebar in a bigger story on an illegally modified Proton Wira and Toyota Wish...

Why do people even bother with a proton wira? :lol: Anyways, beautiful rides, I just love that classic porsche!

till abt a yr or 2 ago, i can't appreciate any 911s older than the 996

993s and 964s are looking very yummy

however i still can't quite bring myself to terms with the interior of the air cooled 911s, maybe i need to grow older/age a little more? heh

but dis 964 is very nicely done.... great choice of color

i still think porkys r ugly..spec. the cayman n 996. the GT sits in well with me though....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ko66press
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back