About COE - True or Fake?

Baby1M

Re: About COE - True or Fake?

The COE is actually about the money!? OMG!!!! REALLY!?!?!

True or not, I will never know. What I do know, one can never escape death and taxes. If you want to play then be prepared to pay to stay in the game. Simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luxury taxes of sorts are implemented in many countries.

The issue is their objectives and effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:

ex-TOP civil servant

how to qualify as TOP civil servant ar

top in ranking or top in quality or top in long serving?

the rest are "low" civil servant? :lol:

I have asked myself this - if I am Lui, what would I have done?

The first answer is still the same - COE will stay. We cannot afford everyone to own a car.

He headed the civil service ......

wt_know;1038889 said:
ex-TOP civil servant

how to qualify as TOP civil servant ar

top in ranking or top in quality or top in long serving?

the rest are "low" civil servant? :lol:

kenntona;1038890 said:
I have asked myself this - if I am Lui, what would I have done?

The first answer is still the same - COE will stay. We cannot afford everyone to own a car.
They worry SG road will end up with traffic jam similar to the picture below;

Jam in Beijing that is ~90km long and lasted 11 days... disregard if picture is real or photoshopped.
View attachment 55533

Current population 5.4m.

Current vehicles, local plate, 970,000.

Assuming everyone who has a license get to buy a car and drive........ we should have 2-3m cars on the roads not counting Malaysian plates......

Nightmare.

Baby1M;1038899 said:
They worry SG road will end up with traffic jam similar to the picture below;

Jam in Beijing that is ~90km long and lasted 11 days... disregard if picture is real or photoshopped.
View attachment 55533

whats the FC of cars stuck in jam??

What they could have done better was NOT to do what some scholars always try to do - make it sexy to their bosses and over package. Call a spade a spade, keep it as a "Luxury Tax" or something to that effect. The public will understand that cars are only for those who can afford it, period. Call it anything else, such as 'Certificate of ENTITLEMENT' and every father mother's son will bang so hard on the freaking table demanding to be ENTITLED to own a car because they are this and that and whatever f, and miss the whole freaking point of the luxury tax system in the first place.

Case in point - if a person had to pay a Lux Tax of $80k to buy a car, he would first think twice about affordability within his means (or the combined means of his household). Now instead of that, we have COEs, and we feel ENTITLED to have that because we serve NS or pay GST or live/lived/rented HDBs etc etc. And the rest, is history.

yadda yadda u all talk and talk, but still line up at PML booking BMWs and then go bang table and demand free servicing vouchers and 3M car mats..and then come in ask abt FC

Sometimes, is it true that when one gets and start to huan xiong, they will be more outspoken cos they have nothing much to lose?

Given limited COE quota, what is the best way to allocate them?

MW;1038908 said:
yadda yadda u all talk and talk, but still line up at PML booking BMWs and then go bang table and demand free servicing vouchers and 3M car mats..and then come in ask abt FC

Excuse me. I only bang table to change cars. I've learnt from the LaMWyer ... atas BMW drivers don't worry about FC. LaMWyer teach one.

kenntona;1038912 said:
Given limited COE quota, what is the best way to allocate them?

good question actually..... when COE was abt quota numbers, it failed, so it became a price allocation..obviously this failed..so now they try engine power allocation...which will also fail sooner or later..

Next they may try number of cylinders allocation

MW;1038915 said:
good question actually..... when COE was abt quota numbers, it failed, so it became a price allocation..obviously this failed..so now they try engine power allocation...which will also fail sooner or later..

What about engine oil use?

MW said:

Imagine it is NOT based on price, but on an egalitarian approach. Allocation across all income cohorts. Fairer from the lower income brackets, but within each bracket, there is still a problem of allocation.

sherman0888;1038922 said:
What about engine oil use?

How about percentage of window tinting?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sin88bar
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups