ABS Light up on E39

henry2429

I have the following problems, 3 things occur

1. ABS Warning Light Is lighted up
2. ASC Warning Light is lighted up
3. Cruise Control cannot function

Whet to do a diagnostic and confirm that the control unit is faulty. reason is that this sensor is too close to the engine unit thus early failure due to heat (design problem ???)

Anyone has any idea if this item could be repaired (Where ? p/s recommend if any) ? The quotation i got was abt 1.3k for this part

Thanks

Re: ABS Light up on E39

did happened to me before, went back to pml. They said my ABS is not working due pump failure. Cant remember how much i paid (will check for u).
It cant b the design prob..

Thought it was pump problem too initially but 3 things happen at the same time , ABS & ASC lights up + cruise control not working.

why i mentioned design problem is that some said that the control unit is mounted on the left side of the car looking from the front of the car . which is quite near the engine. there was no insulation to shield between the unit and the engine so it's no that good for electronic devices to be expose to such heat . (just sharing views)

anyway , awaiting your price to access my damage needed to solve this problem.

will go and double check on the price, looks like my ride is beginning to fall sick already

henry2429;127870 said:
I have the following problems, 3 things occur

1. ABS Warning Light Is lighted up
2. ASC Warning Light is lighted up
3. Cruise Control cannot function

Whet to do a diagnostic and confirm that the control unit is faulty. reason is that this sensor is too close to the engine unit thus early failure due to heat (design problem ???)

Anyone has any idea if this item could be repaired (Where ? p/s recommend if any) ? The quotation i got was abt 1.3k for this part

Thanks

DId you manage to fix this problem?

This is a common problem and will happen once every 3 to 5 years. U have no choice but to change the ABS control unit..which comes to about SGD1.5K to SGD2K. Changing the sensors do not help most of the time.

v_sach..

The relays would help if its on the E36....for E46 and E39..they have abandoned the relays and built those in the control unit.

is this a common problem on E46 too? mine is a 4 year old e46. can the car still be driven with the light on? ie without ABS functionality?

Got it fix 4 months back , it's the control unit which controls , odometer , cruise etc etc , all in one . damage is 800 + . cheers

hey guys,
here's my lil 2 cents to this after observing the lights on the e46. sometime in june i drove my car with a totally flat tyre and didnt realise it until i was told by somebody after about 2km. i put the spare,took it to the tyre shop and they replaced the tyre that was flat.surprisingly there was no visible damage, my ABS & ACS lights came on a few days later and i took it to the dealer to diagnose and it gave out the hydro pump. so i decided to ignore the lights and drive without anything done. the lights would go out for about 3 weeks and reappear.
after about 2 months (i.e around early sept), i decided to do wheel balancing and alignment.
it was at this time that the guy who was doing the balancing realised that the wheel that i had previously drove flat was oval! something called wire separation, so i discarded the tyre, put a new one and it's all good now.
so here is my analysis of the whole situation (it might be wrong it might be right but with my Reliability Engineering background i cant be far from the correct analysis)...since the wheel was oval, the hydro-pump couldnt decide what the actual rotation speed of the wheel is and it took the decision to shut down the ASC & ABS and make you search for the fault. unfortunately, we dont usually search for faults in the tyres but look at what the diagnostic machine says (the machine only gives what it reads ! and we have to think of the causes).
upon looking at the alloy wheels i realised that the same one that had a flot, was bent. so i fixed it and cant complain now...anyone with a similar experience please share...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miso88bar
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back