Active Steering Wheel-Lock Indicator Light

mengteck71

My E90 was having the Active Steering Wheel-Lock Indicator light on (in Yellow) now and then. Each time its on, I took out the key and then reinsert and started the engine.. everything seems fine..

Just now, the indicator light comes on in Red. From the "help desk" he said that I should not be able to start the engine if its RED. However, I could still start the engine and drive home.. nothing seems abnormal during the drive..

Anyone has similar experience? Should I book in my car to workshop?

Re: Active Steering Wheel-Lock Indicator Light

Hi!

Just had the same prob with my car. How was yours fixed? Thanks.

how do i check whether i have active steering or not?

i sometimes get a steering wheel lock warming (e.g. if i park with my wheel turned way off centre) - couldnt figure it how to clear it the first time actually...

The user manual may probably mention it.

My warning light started off intermittently....last 2 days was permanent...

Just booked an appointment with PML today

Hi Guys, i got this same problem as well.. went down to PML to check.. they changed the steering wheel lock thingy since car is still under warranty. They also did mention to me that the car will not start but i could drive it for a day.. lol..

I could start and drive my car throughout the period the warning was on, which was about 3-4 days. I sent my car in to PML on Thursday..only collected it on Friday. They said its software related. Had to upgrade the firmware to fix the problem.

Std procedure from the dealer is to update the firmware to make the system less sensitive, but the problem won't go away from my personal experience. The next stage is upon firmware upgrade and it still happens, they will replace the entire steering column for you. This happens on earlier batches E90s from my understanding 05-06 and 07 onwards steering column has been revised in part no.

thanks bro.

Mine's a 2007 model, but will monitor the situation.

bro,

so is it ok now? I had the same problem and they 'fixed' it last year as it was under warranty. it just come on again yesterday and my babe is already out of warranty...:(

sorry to hear that bro. Mine never recurred....touchwood.

Should try to go down again and insist they fix for free since it is a recurrence. Good luck.

procrastination - my babe went dead just now. red and refused to budge.,

just called the bmw mobile service and will have to tow her in tomorrow...not sure whats the damage....:((

Just got my babe back - changed the steering column & new control unit.

better dont ask abt the damage. :p

hi buckrogers, dont mind telling me the dmg? cos i'm now having the same problem and its out of warranty, sigh..

Wow Buckrogers, that is exorbitantly expensive for a design flaw! Anyone had this similar problem and got it ironed out at a local workshop other than PML? Appreciate any inputs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehasingh028

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back