Advice Needed : Brake Pad Indicator Light

Racebred

Core Group Members
if you're comparing the same brand of pad, then you can just change outside. saves you time too. but remember once the indicator light is on, means you have to change the pad sensor also. this kind of thing is a one-time usage only.

i'll never change pads in PML. too boh hua already.

I think id yuo change it at other workshops you can customise your pads to the ones that produce less brake dust

My advice is to choose what pads u want and get them replaced outside. The price for PML to change for u is totally ridiculous!!

Thanks guy... those are good infor... any recommendation for brake pad that produce less brake dust, this been a pain for a while. BTW, any good mechanic that can take care of changing the brake pad and also do the servicing for my ride.

Cheers
Adrian
==========

AdrianNg said:
Thanks guy... those are good infor... any recommendation for brake pad that produce less brake dust, this been a pain for a while. BTW, any good mechanic that can take care of changing the brake pad and also do the servicing for my ride.

Cheers
Adrian
==========
Adrain u mau like to try Agritz, Aussie product. Reduces break dust at least 80%. Just changed mine at BVO & they do servicing too, you can also look at workshops like J4C, tropical success etc.

Can I just check what rotors are you using with the Agrtiz? Agrtiz has 2 types of pads rite?

I thouht of doing agritz and stock but was told that the after market pads may be too hard for stock rotors...

altreality said:
Can I just check what rotors are you using with the Agrtiz? Agrtiz has 2 types of pads rite?

I thouht of doing agritz and stock but was told that the after market pads may be too hard for stock rotors...
hi, there are 2 types, 400 & 700 deg ones. most of us using the 400 ones, good enough for norm driving..even if you gun once in awhile. not a prob running it with stock rotors which I'm doing so. As for the 700 deg ones, better upgrade the rotors as stock ones may not be able to cope. got the xtra bux to spend, of course go for the upgrade those rotors man..

Was quoted S$250 per pair performace and the one outside is S$100

I just came back from my first servicing at PML and they changed my front brakes without my knowledge... was charged $115.17 for 1 pair of NORMAL brakes, 21.66 for brake sensor and $73.50 for labour. $210.33 for 1 pair of brakes that produces so much brake dust is not worth it!

Go BVO, get Agritz, less brake dust, pay much much less and give PML a miss....

servicing blues

Winston said:

I just came back from my first servicing at PML and they changed my front brakes without my knowledge... was charged $115.17 for 1 pair of NORMAL brakes, 21.66 for brake sensor and $73.50 for labour. $210.33 for 1 pair of brakes that produces so much brake dust is not worth it!

I just serviced my car at PML last week and apart from the oil change, they took the liberty to change the aircon filter and add 0.5 litre of wiper fluid additives...it wasn't that much but for future scheduled servicings, I was just wondering if we can actually request that they don't replace these parts...instead, just inform us of worn/defective parts and give us the option to do it ourselves outside. I wonder if they would void our warranty in this case. I mean, what's to stop them from replacing any part they wish and presenting us with a big bill at the end ? Even if they returned the worn/defective part to us, I think the typical bmw owner would not have a clue of whether it was sufficiently worn that it warranted replacing.

Winston - did you have any indication (warning light or something?) at all that your brakes were worn ?

changing of aircon filter and wiper fluids are part of the long list in the servicing checklist. so i would say it's part of what they are supposed to do.

unless you give them specific instructions not to for eg, throw your K&N filter away and replace with stock ones, or change out your aftermarket Iridium spark plugs, or replace your neon aluminium turbo blade aerodynamic super galaxy combat rain wipers with BMW wipers, they will go ahead and do it. The onus is on the owner, as long as these parts are inside the checklist.

Winston, as long as your pad warning light did not light up on your dashboard, the sensor can still be used, and they have no reason to give you a new one.

Re: servicing blues

I totally agree with the notion that we should first be informed before any changes or replacements are made to the car... I would not want want to pay exhorbitant charges for basic labour and parts.

One side question - what is included in the first maintanence servicing? I have about 4K to go before my car goes in...

Thankhs :thumbsup:

g0yogi said:
Winston said:

I just serviced my car at PML last week and apart from the oil change, they took the liberty to change the aircon filter and add 0.5 litre of wiper fluid additives...it wasn't that much but for future scheduled servicings, I was just wondering if we can actually request that they don't replace these parts...instead, just inform us of worn/defective parts and give us the option to do it ourselves outside. I wonder if they would void our warranty in this case. I mean, what's to stop them from replacing any part they wish and presenting us with a big bill at the end ? Even if they returned the worn/defective part to us, I think the typical bmw owner would not have a clue of whether it was sufficiently worn that it warranted replacing.

Winston - did you have any indication (warning light or something?) at all that your brakes were worn ?

pick up a copy of the checklist from the counter.

I also agree that any repairs/replacement OUTSIDE of the checklist, costing more than $100, should have owner's approval first. Actually this is their standing order.

The last time my Z3 went in, and they replaced something >$100 without informing us. We told the fella we didnt authorise them to replace, and in the end they lan lan share half of the cost with us.

we not trying to pull a fast one, but the fact is that i really wanted to repair it at outside workshop coz cheaper. so must stick to principles.

changing of aircon filter and wiper fluids are part of the long list in the servicing checklist. so i would say it's part of what they are supposed to do.

unless you give them specific instructions not to for eg, throw your K&N filter away and replace with stock ones, or change out your aftermarket Iridium spark plugs, or replace your neon aluminium turbo blade aerodynamic super galaxy combat rain wipers with BMW wipers, they will go ahead and do it. The onus is on the owner, as long as these parts are inside the checklist.

Wow...such high handedness! We'd better be forewarned then, I guess.

One side question - what is included in the first maintanence servicing? I have about 4K to go before my car goes in...

They do the following for the 1st servicing :-

*oil service - change oil and renew oil filter element
*brake pads - measure lining
*safety check - steering, tyre, wheels, lighting, instrument warning lights, battery acid level, radiator coolant, brake reservoir fluid, windscreen wipers and washer, seat belts, warning systems.

A'Gritz 400 is good - if brakedust is your major concern. Changed my front/rear pad on Saturday, and till now, there is not a speck of dust on my rims. Still kim kim swee swee. In the past, took only 2 days to accumulate one layer of brakedust on my rims.

But there is a catch. The initial feel is that brake efficiency is lost in comparison to stock pads, by 30/40% somewhat. But I was told that the pads must be ran-in for a week before the real grip kicks in.

Will let you know of the ran-in grip as it goes along......

Of course there is no warning light or anything! If there is any lights I would have asked them to change instead of them changing without my notice.

Couple of days before this, Ah Wee at BVO (the man who installed my suspension with such sweetness and precision that I'm eternally grateful) checked the brakes and did not find the brakes to be worn out - FOC. The slight squeek could be due to the heavy rain for the past few days. After oiling, no squeek. However, I was foolish enuf to tell the CA when he asked me if theres anything that he need to note. The foolishness cost me over $500 for my 1st servicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston said:

Of course there is no warning light or anything! If there is any lights I would have asked them to change instead of them changing without my notice.

Couple of days before this, Ah Wee at BVO (the man who installed my suspension with such sweetness and precision that I'm eternally grateful) checked the brakes and did not find the brakes to be worn out - FOC. The slight squeek could be due to the heavy rain for the past few days. After oiling, no squeek. However, I was foolish enuf to tell the CA when he asked me if theres anything that he need to note. The foolishness cost me over $500 for my 1st servicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If indeed there was some indication, I wonder if you could have asked BVO to change the brakes for you instead of PML ? Without voiding the warranty of course. After all, better Agritz than the normal brakes that PML installs...

wa, luckily got this forum. i tot most authorised agents nowadays will call and inform first b4 changing any major parts. else customer have right to :shoot: them.

how can change then bill w/o asking ... 'black shops'.

If indeed there was some indication, I wonder if you could have asked BVO to change the brakes for you instead of PML ? Without voiding the warranty of course. After all, better Agritz than the normal brakes that PML installs...

I would of course! Siao why pay over 200 when you can get it done for slightly half the price? Ken juz did his in BVO and my jaws dropped when I saw his bill! My labor cost was almost half of his, but he changed brakes, belt, etc etc, labor for a whole day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted the Agritz so bad cos I'm so sick of the brake dust on the rims....

Hey Kenn

If there is really a loss of 30-40% braking efficiency, then I think it is not right... I thought the up- rated pads should improve braking and reduce braking distance with less dust..
let me know when you have travelled about 300km - should have run in by then.... :shock:

altreality said:
Hey Kenn

If there is really a loss of 30-40% braking efficiency, then I think it is not right... I thought the up- rated pads should improve braking and reduce braking distance with less dust..
let me know when you have travelled about 300km - should have run in by then.... :shock:

Prob just the initial feel before run-in, and this applies to any new brake pad change. I had similar experience the last time I changed to stock pads 9 months ago at BVO. But Ken should definitely go gentle on the brakes for first few hundred km to ensure even wear.

Some folks mentioned PML changing parts w/o owner's consent. Shortly after I change to stock pads, I sent in for 2nd scheduled servicing at PML. I always make it clear to the CSA that PML should not change anything w/o informing me. So far, PML has come very clean with all my servicing with them (no unexpected overcharging). FYI, I usually service at BVO, but only go back to PML for either scheduled servicing (to keep service record intact) or for warranty issues.

My 2nd set of stock pads were installed by BVO and I have absolutely no issue with warranty. Will change to after market for 3rd set, since warranty will be over in 2 months time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogohiephienvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back