Advice Needed on Tyres

snowman

Re: Advice Needed on Tyres

LuvMyUDM said:
Hi All,

I'm technically not sound in car. Currently, in a dileman of what tyres to change. I've visited Stamford Tyres, the guy recommended me CSC (i dont know is it CSC 1 or 2) and quoted me a price of S$310 per piece.

I need advice from Bros in this forum, what is a normal driver like me who enjoy cruising on my 520i (2001 Model) to go for on my tyres change.

I've not done any modifications or rim change, original since i bought the car since 2001.

Look forward to your advice on brands, model and price point I should look out for.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Ridiculously, this is my first time changing tyres after owning this car for over 3 years.
wow! your tyres lasted for 3 years ah??? thats amazing, whats the distance u have travelled???

LuvMyUDM said:
Hi All,

I'm technically not sound in car. Currently, in a dileman of what tyres to change. I've visited Stamford Tyres, the guy recommended me CSC (i dont know is it CSC 1 or 2) and quoted me a price of S$310 per piece.

I need advice from Bros in this forum, what is a normal driver like me who enjoy cruising on my 520i (2001 Model) to go for on my tyres change.

I've not done any modifications or rim change, original since i bought the car since 2001.

Look forward to your advice on brands, model and price point I should look out for.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Ridiculously, this is my first time changing tyres after owning this car for over 3 years.

If you want cheap and good, which you can change pretty often, then Kumho 712s are a good budget buy. If you're on 18"s, think you can get it for around $200/tyre or slightly more or less. :)

i had the kumho supras on my previous car and they were pretty decent in the dry and cheap too.
but they didnt do too well in the wet and was quite noisy too.

just some unsolicited user comments.... :shoot: :)

Hi, just don't ever buy the CSC 1 which are dangerous in the wet. The CSC 2 is better in that respect. Other tyres to consider are Pilot sports 1 or 2 ( the 2 costing more) - PS have a very long thread life. Bridgestone SO-3 are also good but tent to follow road irregularities, grip slightly better than PS 1. Price is also cheaper slightly. The tyres listed are performance orientated. You can also consider P zero nero - have no experience with them though.
Cheers 8)

hi

wat tyre size u need?

maybe u msg mi at 98368640 for pricing

anyway css2 cost only $200plus hee :errr:

LuvMyUDM said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Bro, if u are on stock 16" rims, u can consider Michelin Preceda. Quite a few of my friends have installed them on their 5 series and are happy. More of a comfort tyre. Price shd be around $220 to $240 per tyre. One place to get them is Soon Tyres near Outram. I dun have their tel number but u can check the phone book. Cheers!

LuvMyUDM, T6,

second T6's recommendations. Suggested to my uncle to get the Michelin Preceda on his E39 (16" rims), and he's been very pleased with the tires over the stock Continentals.

BTW, is CSC1 really that bad in the wet?

i love the bridgestone S03s.. but i guess if you are just doing some normal driving, i would consider the pilot sport... with the s03s, you feel more grip, but i believe they wear out a lot faster than the pilot..

lecabrio said:
Hi, just don't ever buy the CSC 1 which are dangerous in the wet. The CSC 2 is better in that respect. Other tyres to consider are Pilot sports 1 or 2 ( the 2 costing more) - PS have a very long thread life. Bridgestone SO-3 are also good but tent to follow road irregularities, grip slightly better than PS 1. Price is also cheaper slightly. The tyres listed are performance orientated. You can also consider P zero nero - have no experience with them though.
Cheers 8)
Hi Lecabrio,

So glad to have heard such feedbacks from you u guys here. My tyres are going 'botak' pretty soon, especially the inner trim, after lowering my car.

Besides this tread, I've seen other treads which recommended Michelin PS1 & PS2. However, I checked the Michelin website, it only showed one type of PS & not the stated PS1 & PS2. So, I presumed the one shoeing inside should be the PS1.

In fact, can you enlighten me on the both types & where can I probe further into it. What's the difference between PS1 & PS2, in terms of durability, pricing, etc...

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

HungryM3 said:
i love the bridgestone S03s.. but i guess if you are just doing some normal driving, i would consider the pilot sport... with the s03s, you feel more grip, but i believe they wear out a lot faster than the pilot..

Juz to add that the SO3s wld cost less than the Pilot Sports.

branlye said:
Besides this tread, I've seen other treads which recommended Michelin PS1 & PS2. However, I checked the Michelin website, it only showed one type of PS & not the stated PS1 & PS2. So, I presumed the one shoeing inside should be the PS1.

In fact, can you enlighten me on the both types & where can I probe further into it. What's the difference between PS1 & PS2, in terms of durability, pricing, etc...

Bro, as far as I know, the PS2 is meant to be a replacement for PS1 but u can still find stock of PS1s around coz I understand from a tyre shop that the full range of tyre size for PS2 not out yet. So they still need PS1s to complement the tyre range.

I was on SO3s and now on PS1s. I found PS1s to be much lighter and comfortable becoz of their softer sidewall. Even my steering feels lighter though I am using larger tyres. As I dun do tracking, comfort is pretty important to be too. For those who track, some may prefer Bridgestone SO3s which has harder sidewalls.

As I mentioned earlier, though SO3s are cheaper, they do wear off faster compared to PS1s.

I can't comment on PS2s as I have not tried them.

T6 said:
branlye said:

Bro, as far as I know, the PS2 is meant to be a replacement for PS1 but u can still find stock of PS1s around coz I understand from a tyre shop that the full range of tyre size for PS2 not out yet. So they still need PS1s to complement the tyre range.

I was on SO3s and now on PS1s. I found PS1s to be much lighter and comfortable becoz of their softer sidewall. Even my steering feels lighter though I am using larger tyres. As I dun do tracking, comfort is pretty important to be too. For those who track, some may prefer Bridgestone SO3s which has harder sidewalls.

As I mentioned earlier, though SO3s are cheaper, they do wear off faster compared to PS1s.

I can't comment on PS2s as I have not tried them.
Hi T6,

Thank you for your valuable info.

Anyway, I trust you guys, so mostly I'll cosider PS1. Any recommendation of any tyre shops that offer the best price. My tyre size 225/R40 18.

Thank you.

Bro, juz check out the folder in this forum on workshops and call up the usual suspects. Be sure to check that the tyres are not too old. Ask the year of manufacture etc. If u have the budget, why not go for PS2. :thumbsup:

emiffy said:
LuvMyUDM, T6,

second T6's recommendations. Suggested to my uncle to get the Michelin Preceda on his E39 (16" rims), and he's been very pleased with the tires over the stock Continentals.

BTW, is CSC1 really that bad in the wet?

...mmmm... I guess so otherwise we wouldn't have another version called CSC2 in the market.

I'm currently using the stock CSC1. It's so far still ok in wet and dry. i have tried a few times with wet cornering. May be it is still new (4 weeks old). but let's see....

branlye said:
lecabrio said:
Cheers 8)
Hi Lecabrio,

So glad to have heard such feedbacks from you u guys here. My tyres are going 'botak' pretty soon, especially the inner trim, after lowering my car.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Hi
The PS1 , was just plain pilot sports and I guess when they released the new tyre PS2 it was referred as PS1. The thread pattern is V-shaped. The current PS2 has reverted to conventional thread pattern. It has a softer outer compound. The PS2 is supposed to have increased wet and dry grip over the PS1. I believe they came up with this to counter Bridgestones SO-3 and the Pirelli P-zero nero. Some members are using the PS2 and are better able to comment - Piggy

Currently still on PS1 ( had the SO-3 previously). Outright grip is less than SO-3 but tyre life from others seems to be much longer. S)-3 may tramline a little, following road irregularities. SO-3 is supposed to have a dual compound layer in order to maintain the grippy performance over time. The rubber is slightly softer and after a drive particles adhere to it and is slightly sticky to the touch. PS1 is a very balanced and predictable tyre which you can drift it through bends rather controllable. Would be better if the grip level is higher which the PS2 is supposed to be.

I bought mine from South East Tyres - not the cheapest prices but they know their stuff.

Cheers 8)

Asked the guy @ the tyre shop and he said Michelin Preceda and PS1 are both made in Thailand. ( I dunno but does it really matter where the tyre is made? All lubber right? )
The dunlop 9000s that i bought made in japan. But yea...nice n quiet now.heh..previous tyres a little bald so noisy.

$195 considered costly fer 17 inch?

i'm on CSC2.. 16"' got it from stamford for 235 per pc abt a yr ago.. ride became exceptionally good esp in dry... :thumbsup:

jhio

225 40 18 es100 ard 245 ea
225 40 18 falken at 185ea

98368640 :) check out the advertising thread

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789winofficial