Advice on BMW 1M issues

TheEvilEwok

Hi all, I did not see any other threads on this topic
so kindly direct this to the relevant thread if it exists..

I'm looking at purchasing a 4-5 yo 1M and would
like to get advice on what are the common wear and
tear parts that might require replacement and also
what I should look out for - common issues etc..

Thank you for reading and any advice at all is appreciated !

Re: Advice on BMW 1M issues

Was also considering the m3! But wife prefers the 1m look..
Assuming the 1m is daily driven with the occasizonal spirited
drive.. would workshop visits for frequent repairs be a highlight
of the 1m experience ...?

The 1m coupe has the same N54 engine as the preLCI 335i...hence the common issues pertaining to the n54 will be similar...IMHO....
Yes, the asking price for the 1m now IMHO is crazy in my opinion, in Malaysia...asking price is as high if not higher than the
v8 m3......
If i were you and had the budget the get the 1m coupe, might as well get the e92 m3....hehe

Ya I would definitely get the V8 M3, it's a more handsome car. It's quicker, bigger and got the soundtrack. I thought the 1M has very odd shape IMO. Since you are asking for opinion here, I'm just sharing mine.

I may be wrong, but if u get the 135i, mod the bodykit, change all the suspension bits to the e9X m3, change the exhaust and maybe install an aftermarket LSD, u basically get the 1m coupe right? Just curious...

I'm bias. Get E92 M3 instead. Solid chassis, NA v8 linear power and sound, plus it looks better than 1M IMHO :goodup:

Until now I still won't sell my E92 M3 for Fx M3/M4

Thanks for the inputs guys ! Looks like I'd be doing myself a disservice if I don't check
it out ..! Planning to get one with a manual gb though ... M3 and 1m share same manual
Gb and are there issues with the manual gb I need to check before purchase ?

Cheers !

TheEvilEwok;1131823 said:
Thanks for the inputs guys ! Looks like I'd be doing myself a disservice if I don't check
it out ..! Planning to get one with a manual gb though ... M3 and 1m share same manual
Gb and are there issues with the manual gb I need to check before purchase ?

Cheers !
Not many E9x M3 with manual GB around. Mine's DCT so can't comment on manual DB. Howeven can say M3's DCT is one of BMW's fastest and best GB around, love the auto blip and has 11 settings for the driver to choose (D1-5, S1-5 and S6 which can only be engaged with DSC deactivated)

Haha.. Never did I expect that upon asking for advice on 1m issues, I'd be introduced to the m3 instead!
Think I'll be starting a separate thread over at the m3 section soon ..

Anyone here converted from a 1m to an m3? Would just want to know pros and cons .. Eg. Fuel consumption / maintenance costs etc..

Thanks !

Absolutely no issues with the 1M... I couldn't be bothered getting a 135 to mod it up (and you'd never get the same performance or aesthetics anyway). The V8 M3 looks good but it's heavy like hell, some say it drives more like a GT than a sports coupe. If it's more power you want, get a GTR.

Go see the other thread some guy is selling his 1M :yummie:

TheEvilEwok;1131805 said:
Was also considering the m3! But wife prefers the 1m look..
Assuming the 1m is daily driven with the occasizonal spirited
drive.. would workshop visits for frequent repairs be a highlight
of the 1m experience ...?

Always listen to the missus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey there Mr Oilman ! Thanks for the reassurances for the 1M .... and i just realized you're selling your ride .. ! Looks beautiful ...
Kind of read your entry a little late... wife dropped by to view an M3 and 1M yesterday and i must say both cars have their attraction,
If i had the cash .. i would buy both ! :) but i do not...
If your rides still available coming weekend, it will be the only time i can make it to come view.. !
Just out of curiosity , why do you wanna sell a potential keeper of a car !?

alfaboi : R56 rocks too ... but depending on whether its the N18 or N14 engine ... Used to drive an R53 and though she caused
me much distress with the frequent workshop visits, the drives when she was healthy more than made up !

Thanks for all the replies guys !

Advice on BMW 1M issues

I know [emoji6] just teasing

Hope you find a nice M!

Last edited by a moderator:

I am owner of 1M and M3. Women including wifey like 1M because cute look. Performance bit behind M3 while nimbler but e92 M3 is a totally different animal. Handles beautifully, body is designed for racing, pull in incredibly predictable and linear, roomier, muscular look and oh that deep V8 sound gives me a hard on each time driving it. Sound of car is part of experience driving V8. Unlike turbo or wanna be sound from bigger exhausts that can't match throaty and rhythms of 8 cylinders singing even at cruising speed.

Buy 1M if like the look and smaller car but get M3 V8 for pure driving lust!

Thanks Johnny for that valuable insight ..!! You're 1 lucky fella to own both M cars !!
Did you encounter any maintenance issues with any of the cars ? Or rather... did any one of them break down or require repairs more often?
Just generally speaking, i would expect a forced induction engine like the 1M to be subject to more wear and tear issues than the M3 ..
Also, read from some US websites about HPFP issues with the 1M ...
Seems as though 1M might require more care and attention than the M3 ... or did BMW actually manage to achieve reliability and performance in an M car?!

Personally I would just get the V8. Such engines are harder to come by these days. Manufacturers are going to the 3.0 FI engines in that HP class. U can still get a n54/n55 based engine later on. IMHO, anyway. Hope it doesn't cause you to lose further sleep :p

T
TheEvilEwok;1132005 said:
Thanks Johnny for that valuable insight ..!! You're 1 lucky fella to own both M cars !!
Did you encounter any maintenance issues with any of the cars ? Or rather... did any one of them break down or require repairs more often?
Just generally speaking, i would expect a forced induction engine like the 1M to be subject to more wear and tear issues than the M3 ..
Also, read from some US websites about HPFP issues with the 1M ...
Seems as though 1M might require more care and attention than the M3 ... or did BMW actually manage to achieve reliability and performance in an M car?!
Neither car has major maintenance issue but sold 1M after 1 yr thus not much input on maintenance but can say engine bay ran very hot. M3 is usual wear tear and not that expensive even with 9L of engine oil for its high revving V8 engine. Nothing wrong with 1M but we ended enjoying driving M3 much more thus no use keeping 1M. Go drive test both and confident you'll buy M3. You haven't lived life if haven't own a V8 animal!

Driven both cars extensively. The V8 sounds is nice and throaty, but can feel the heave upfront. You need to wring the car in order to enjoy the power and performance of the M3. Unfortunately, due to the traffic condition here, we may not be given much of chance to do so without risking your license.

The 1M is often dismissed here due to its puny size and being a parts bin car. However, the price of the 1M has been pretty firm in the USA. You may say exclusivity may play a part but surely there has to be some reason as to why the car is able to hold the value, with some journalist predicting the car as future collector's classic. There has to be some intrinsic that we do not see from just the sum of all the bin parts being put on the car alone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79snet

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back