Advice on Cost for Change of Colour

:helpp!:

Dear friends,

I need some advice on the cost of re-spray and whether or not it's wise for export / re-sale purposes in the future.

1. Change of colour from Green to Black, how many days it usually take, which is the cheapest yet good quality workshop?

2. Is it detrimental to the re-sale value if it's discovered that the car has been re-sprayed before?

Please feel free to share with me your opinions as I really intend to do this very soon.

Please help and thanks alot.

8884 aka Ben

:helpp!:

Re: Advice on Cost for Change of Colour

Hello Ben,

Didn't you just get your car? If you want to do a full body respray it won't be cheap. Meaning the internals at the engine bay will be sprayed. Check out ADSM.com.sg or go to Yew Lip. I think they are reasonable but not the cheapest. Mike (Sin Wee Chuan) and Ah Boon are also recommended but they're more expensive than ADSM.
Ahy reason for wanting to respray?

Cheers
J

For export, depends on which year you are exporting (i.e., to which country). Generally, anything more than 3 years old, don't bother with respray.

If you are selling locally, most will prefer original condition, i.e., better to get lousy, dented, etc - than a nice respray.

If you are respraying and thinking of selling at a better price, don't bother. The cost you pay for the respray cannot be re-coup. In fact, it would even raise some suspicion.

If you want to respray because you like another colour, then go ahead and do it.

Yew Lip, ADSM, Mike -- all highly recommended by fellow brothers. Ask around. You get what you pay for.

Thanks dudes,

actually I don't have any other special reasons to respray except that I would like to have it black... fierce and cool...

My biggest mistake is that I didn't buy a black coloured car instead now having to go thru the hassle.

By the way, I'll check with the paint shops recommended.

My car is a 2002 production and has been around for a while. Body so far so good, accident free I meant. Just that I had a very bad experience with a paint shop at Autopoint, Ang Mo Kio Ind Park 2 as they sprayed my car nicely except that some other parts of my car also kena the new paint coat hence making spray marks here and there. Upset lah.

:furious:

But anyway going to respray whole car so let it rest.

Thanks again for your commend.

BTW normally the fastest lead time is about a week for the paint shop? any faster than that?

8884 aka Ben

Hey Ben,

For a complete respray of your car, its better for the shop to take their time to do it. I know that it will inconvenience you a bit, but hey, but I think they should do a better job!

My 2 cents!

Yea. Agree with Sam. Plan for it maybe when you don't need the car or headin overseas.

Spoke with someone before and it was one of the complaints. That people rush them thru the paint jobs then scream about the quality. Let them take their time and do a good job. Heard it's about 2 weeks. Whole car.

2 wks would be good... Allowing for the paint and lacquer to settle down... and defects can be detected by the spray painter and rectified etc etc... Engine bay, door pillars, inner boot etc! Major job if u want it to be done well, cuz they would have to strip out some parts to spray those areas as well.

Ben,

Green is not a bad colour at all. Black is getting common. If your car is accident-free, u might wanna leave the paint colour as it is. For myself, I always draw adverse inference if a car has been resprayed. But dat is juz me.:) Future buyers might or might not feel that way. Hope to see u at Sun meet. Cheers!

Hmm...

You guys got a strong point there.... yeah I agreed on the time spent for the guys to do a good job. Will bear that in mind.

I will be scouting around for quotations and reputation of the workshops.

BTW just want to check with you guys... is it true that some parts will be broken and got to be replaced when the car is sent for respray? Heard that the paint shop guys got to dismantle some parts in order to spray certain areas hence I have to make provision $$$ for damaged parts.

Please advise.

Thanks and I really do appreciate all your kind input and time spent on my questions.

Have a great weekend ahead.

Cheers!!!

Yo,

I just got mine respray from silver to alpine white with Mike. Then a few days after that i scratch my kit by a little bit. So cannot take it and didn't have time to go back to Mike. So just got any workshop near my workplace and the result?

DAMM JIA LAT! :mad:

So in the end still cannot take it and kuai kuai go back to mike and got him to respray again. and back to orginal condition man!

He charge me $2.5k which includes fitting of the m kit and respray the whole car alpine white. Few of my frens say the quality is really good and even internal parts in sprayed as well.

Conclusion, MUST go to someone who knows how to dismantle a bimmer and spray and not cheap cheap never take the kit and others out and use musking tape and spray.

Duration... 10 Days.

Cheers!

Hi,

So you did a total color conversion internal engine bay and external lah? After that must report to LTA anot? Was thinking of doing mine to Silver Gray but I don't think so anymore man.

Cheers
J

Hi,

The didn't took the engine out and parts that i could see like inside the boot all white now. I think must go LTA. heard its like $10 but i have not gone down for one month. Think better go this week.

Cheers.

U can change it online anytime but it will only appear as the new colour in the new log card. This will mean tat if your finance company is still holding the old log card, it still reflects the old colour.

My personal experience in selling my previous re-sprayed car was that dealers take in such car very reluctantly for export and thus tend to press down the resale price.

i am thinking of spraying my E46 too if only I can have a updated copy of the log card from LTA. I doubt we can do it unless we are holding the log card personally.

Cheers!

i don't understand why dealer would make such a big fuss over a re-sprayed / colour changed bimmer! As long as the engine and body condition is good, why should the colour make any difference? It's probably just an excuse for the dealers to press the price down.

Anyway, i changed the colour of my 2nd hand E46 from original purple (yucks!) :eek: to black. To me, since i am driving the car, i want to drive it in a colour of my liking. 8) At least when i see my car, i would WANT to touch it, DRIVE it and LOVE it! haha! :lol:

Well said guys...

I'll pass my car to Mike for spray paint job.

Thanks a million.

I'll be doing either white or black...

hehhe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts