after service, drivetrain problem

Alex Lee

damn sian. after leaving the car at PML for 3 days for a routine service + alignment check, just the next day, this error message shows up and PML says have to put the car there for at least 10 days - 2 weeks :(

View attachment 50083

diagnosis from SA is that a screw controlling the valve timing from the gearbox "broke" hence massive jerk upon startup. Broken screw fell into engine compartment (or some other compartment as he wasn't clear) and needs to be retreived or else will further damage other parts (sounds logical to me).

Anyone driving F10 experienced the same issue before?

Re: after service, drivetrain problem

I'm thinking if they took your car out on a joyride and trashed it. It is a routine for them to "test drive" after a service. You have a in-car camera?

If the car cannot take the thrashing then there is a problem with the car.

detach8;986517 said:
I'm thinking if they took your car out on a joyride and trashed it. It is a routine for them to "test drive" after a service. You have a in-car camera?

Every car will break if taken past its limits.

Alex Lee;986491 said:
damn sian. after leaving the car at PML for 3 days for a routine service + alignment check, just the next day, this error message shows up and PML says have to put the car there for at least 10 days - 2 weeks :(

View attachment 50083

diagnosis from SA is that a screw controlling the valve timing from the gearbox "broke" hence massive jerk upon startup. Broken screw fell into engine compartment (or some other compartment as he wasn't clear) and needs to be retreived or else will further damage other parts (sounds logical to me).

It seems to me that this Drivetrain error msg cover quite a lot of issues. Had this msg a couple of weeks ago and was towed back to pml. Car was there for about 2 days and was told it was a faulty plug in the engine. After replacement, everything is fine till now.

Alex Lee;986491 said:

Let me share with you my 'breakdown-after-servicing' exepriences... not the same problem (mine is 'shelf life' i think) but it is the irritating feeling of problems happening just immediately after servicing.

2 days after servicing, vehicle will not start, strong crank but wont fire up. Mobile service came, check front, inside cabin, rear and vehicle suddenly started. Followed mobile service vehicle went back for diagnosis, after a quick diagnosis, nothing was wrong, went home.
3 days later, vehicle will not start, same strong crank but wont fire up. Towed vehicle to venue to have it diagnose again, findings... low pressue sensor and high powered fuel pump went up the lorry... and have the parts replaced.

Red_Bean_Bun;986540 said:
If on autobahn .... yes.

Singapore road ..... How to over limit ?
I think he could be referring to mileage or 'shelf life'. I can be wrong if comparing the response to your question :lol:

Alex Lee;986491 said:

View attachment 50083

Wow... if there is such fault, BMW should give you a replacement car.

Sounds serious, but why a $250K car can result in such dangerous defect?

My 30K servicing is due soon, should I send in to PML?

Red_Bean_Bun;986939 said:
Send to MA ....

car still under warranty. i asked SA at PML if no warranty how much would the repair cost. he told me at least 6k lol :shakebon:

Better fully test car before bringing it back ...

Alex Lee;987461 said:
car still under warranty. i asked SA at PML if no warranty how much would the repair cost. he told me at least 6k lol :shakebon:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnrgloballogistics
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back