Aircon taking outside air while on recycling mode

apache

Hi all,
I noticed that my E90 aircon is taking outside air once in a while, eventhough I set it to recycle the cabin air. Any idea on what could cause this?
Could it due to compressor lack of power, thus the electronic starts to take outside air to compensate? This is what I was told from the workshop, which is weird to me.

When it is idle, we did check the switch that changes the mode from cabin to outside air and vice versa and it seems to be working.

Anyone experieced similar problem?

thanks a lot! :)

ps: apologize if this is a repeat question. I couldn't find any aircon threat that talks about this issue so far.

Re: Aircon taking outside air while on recycling mode

Hi All,
I found that the aircon, if set in auto mode and low temperature like 19 C, it would open the vent and take outside air. If I turn off the auto mode, it would close the vent.

I did my test by opening up the filter and manually see the vent being open or close.

anyone has any idea on why it takes outside air in auto mode on low temperature setting? Is this something to do with electronics or sensor problem?

thanks!

eddyyeo;654910 said:
switch to the recycling mode with the A. Cheers!

thanks! let me try that. currently, I set to auto and recycling the air inside the car. By right it should just recycle the air inside the cabin. I noticed that it only does that when the car cabin temperature is very hot and it needs to cool down the whole car. somehow the electronics thinks that the way to cool down the car is by taking outside air. very strange. brought to a few mechanics and everyone are scratching their heads.

Hi Apache,

I have encountered similar problems too..

But this inly happened after I started using auto mode - i'm not referring to 'A'...

In the past I always used internal circulation only without turning on auto. But on a few occasions, the windscreen fogged up & I read in this forum to use Auto mode to rpevent this.

Well, it did help remedy the fogging...but ended up taking in outside air in the process "((

Am thinking of letting PMLcheck during my next service in Aug. It doesn't affect me much thankfully.

If anyone got other sugg/methods to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

mohankls;655183 said:
Hi Apache,

I have encountered similar problems too..

But this inly happened after I started using auto mode - i'm not referring to 'A'...

In the past I always used internal circulation only without turning on auto. But on a few occasions, the windscreen fogged up & I read in this forum to use Auto mode to rpevent this.

Well, it did help remedy the fogging...but ended up taking in outside air in the process "((

Am thinking of letting PMLcheck during my next service in Aug. It doesn't affect me much thankfully.

If anyone got other sugg/methods to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mohankls,
yes, same problem. It occurs when the aircon is set to Auto (not 'A') + recycle mode (circle) + cabin temperature is hot. Basically the aircon needs to pump a lot of cold air to cold down the cabin. Besides pumping cold air, it also pumps in outside air, which is hot. in turn the whole cabin won't be cold, unless I switch off the Auto mode.

Initially I though I am the only one having this problem. Looks like there are others as well.

Any suggestion from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Alrite on my ride .. ( 320i E90 LCI ) I set the clrculation mode to cabin only whereby the light will be on the right of the switch @ yur console.

Switching e air -con to Auto mode will circulate outside air into cabin, same as switching the circulation mode to A too.. (light will lid up above the A wording)

My nee jiam ~~ :)

Cheers ~~~

I just leave it on recirculation mode (not A) throughout. i..e the vent is always closed (i hoped so).

Will open the vent only in cases like someone farted, etc. :)

As regards the aircon, I've yet to activate the "auto" feature. Does it mean that when it is set to auto, the car will automatically blow harder, cool harder to bring the car cabin temperature to the set temperature? If that's the case, i would reckon that it will be hard on the aircon.

Correspondingly, what's the diff if the aircon is not set to "auto" but we set the temperature to say e.g. 22 deg cel. The aircon in this case will just blow out 22 deg cel worth of air regardless if the car cabin is indeed lowered to 22 deg cel?

this is in the manual (if i'm not mistaken)

recycle mode (without the word A) = 100% internal recycling, not taking outside air
recycle mode (with the word A) = 30% outside (automatic sensing) + 70% inside, this is to refresh internal air

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwinltd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back