Another Maths question.

Re: Another Maths question.

hitmee;762530 said:
May i know what job is that? I wanna go apply
Good pay and increment

Guest relation officer - got guest, got relatives, got occifer some more. What more can anyone ask for?

First few replies - relevant.
The rest - OT.
Haha... great thread.

Anyway, I often get asked for help on maths questions like this by my nephew in Pri 4.
By using algebra and simultaneous equations, they are all actually pretty straight forward.
But the catch is that they are not yet thought these methods, and are not suppose to use them even if they know how.

Apparently, they have to figure out the answer through some form of "modelling" technique that I have no idea about.
So i end up just being able to verify his answers but can't help him with the working.

1MinuteMan;762552 said:
The rest - OT.
Haha... great thread.

Aiyoh! This is The Lounge - no such thing as OT... hahah.

Yeah same here..I always use Algebra to sove simultaneous equation....Modelling is crap to me.... I only know how to play with model (PRC or TW or Korea mms)

maths is fun especially those you pick any number then + - x / some extra numbers ... the final answer is always the same :D

Last edited by a moderator:

modelling is the new way u solve problems

algebra is old school

1MinuteMan;762552 said:
The rest - OT.
Haha... great thread.

Anyway, I often get asked for help on maths questions like this by my nephew in Pri 4.
By using algebra and simultaneous equations, they are all actually pretty straight forward.
But the catch is that they are not yet thought these methods, and are not suppose to use them even if they know how.

Apparently, they have to figure out the answer through some form of "modelling" technique that I have no idea about.
So i end up just being able to verify his answers but can't help him with the working.

Yes, you are right they need to use modelling and reasoning to solve math problems. For this queston posted by Horfun below is the answer solved by reasoning.

Hint #1: no matter what the salary is, Hassan would always save 20% of his salary.

Hint #2: Salary increase by 10%.

Hint #3: Save $60 more after the salary increase. This $60 is proportional to the 10% increase in salary.

Statement #1: When salary increase by 10%, savings must also increase by 10%.

Statement #2: Savings after increment is still 20%. 10% increment in both salary and savings would give yo uthe following;

10% x 20% = 0.02 = 2%

This 2% is the extra $60 he saved after the salary increment.

1% = $30

Original salary is 100% = $3,000

New salary (10% more) = 1.1 x $3,000 = $3,300

which grade is this question for? i need to brace up for my kids n myself.

What salary increase?

Not sure how these primary schools get their terminology of 'modelling'. This doesn't suffice to modelling techniques. The teachers have no idea what they are talking about.

Real maths. Try solving this.

walao ... modeling i catch no ball ....

gov is damn good in using modeling to smoke people GDP to HDB subsidy to CPF minimum sum = catch no ball

Dinosaur hunter;762592 said:
Yes, you are right they need to use modelling and reasoning to solve math problems. For this queston posted by Horfun below is the answer solved by reasoning.

Hint #1: no matter what the salary is, Hassan would always save 20% of his salary.

Hint #2: Salary increase by 10%.

Hint #3: Save $60 more after the salary increase. This $60 is proportional to the 10% increase in salary.

Statement #1: When salary increase by 10%, savings must also increase by 10%.

Statement #2: Savings after increment is still 20%. 10% increment in both salary and savings would give yo uthe following;

10% x 20% = 0.02 = 2%

This 2% is the extra $60 he saved after the salary increment.

1% = $30

Original salary is 100% = $3,000

New salary (10% more) = 1.1 x $3,000 = $3,300

Modelling is not practical when the equation become more complex....and you can write program to solve simultaneous equation but how to do it with modelling? Again I can do rendering on Models (PRC TWM or Korean)

Legit...PRC chinese tuition teachers dun come cheap.... S$40 / hour...

yes.... quite chio...

no comments on tabao'able, dapat'able, debit her account able, credit our account able etc etc.....

make sure you don't naked in front of web cam hor ... hearsay mr. robert pays $100K :lol:

jasonmaxima;762610 said:
Legit...PRC chinese tuition teachers dun come cheap.... S$40 / hour...

yes.... quite chio...

no comments on tabao'able, dapat'able, debit her account able, credit our account able etc etc.....

DrK;762598 said:
Not sure how these primary schools get their terminology of 'modelling'. This doesn't suffice to modelling techniques. The teachers have no idea what they are talking about.

I HATE math.......:lol::lol::lol:

Here's an equation:

♀xPRC*xmm < 18 + ♂xCPF = 9*strokes of the cane & face appearing in TNP

DrK;762598 said:

This one too difficult for primary school children because they do not have the foundation yet. The reason why moe set those difficult questions and yet cannot solve by using algebra because they want the children to think and look at the problem from different perspective. It do help in their problem solving skills.

wobbles;762639 said:
Here's an equation:

♀xPRC*xmm < 18 + ♂xCPF = 9*strokes of the cane & face appearing in TNP

what is the solution for for 'married man + prc mistress = ??'

zorro;762609 said:
Modelling is not practical when the equation become more complex....and you can write program to solve simultaneous equation but how to do it with modelling? Again I can do rendering on Models (PRC TWM or Korean)

Modelling is higher level of solving problem. This will compliment those complex formulae when solving complex problems.

In fact scientist would create a model of the problem. From there they will apply mathematical formulae to model the problem and thus find a solution. My humsum lecturer say one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexjamesalex21
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back