Any reprogramming needed for a Varta AGM battery other than the registering?

Hi guys, I'm driving an E90 323i LCI. The factory fitted battery has been tested as weak according to the service advisers at PML.

I have finally decided to get a Varta AGM battery and was happily thinking of bringing to PML to have it installed until the service adviser told me PML does not install aftermarket parts and REPROGRAMMING is needed (other than the usual registering that a new battery has been changed).

Has anyone here installed a similar battery? Is reprogramming really needed or just registering the new battery do? Also, I was told that not all AGM batteries can be fitted to the car and it depends on the code found on the battery.

Re: Any reprogramming needed for a Varta AGM battery other than the registering?

I heard about AGM battery as well.
Also want to find out more.

iceagebear;999372 said:
Hi guys, I'm driving an E90 323i LCI. The factory fitted battery has been tested as weak according to the service advisers at PML.

I have finally decided to get a Varta AGM battery and was happily thinking of bringing to PML to have it installed until the service adviser told me PML does not install aftermarket parts and REPROGRAMMING is needed (other than the usual registering that a new battery has been changed).

Has anyone here installed a similar battery? Is reprogramming really needed or just registering the new battery do? Also, I was told that not all AGM batteries can be fitted to the car and it depends on the code found on the battery.

Re: Any reprogramming needed for a Varta AGM battery other than the registering?

Just register would suffice ....... how much is the new battery ?

i'm surprised that you think can bring in "aftermarket" part to PML to install ...

iceagebear;999372 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Bean_Bun;999378 said:
Just register would suffice ....... how much is the new battery ?

Half the price PML quoted me! PML quoted me 680 bucks for an AGM battery, exclusive of installation. .

wt_know;999379 said:
i'm surprised that you think can bring in "aftermarket" part to PML to install ...

I did that for my servicing ma; brought oil, filter and stock pads then. So I cheekily checked with them if they could do the same for the battery lo. Ok so that was wrong la but what about the O2 sensors? I got the original parts but they are claiming now that the sensors are considered "after market" as well. . :(

Call up their road side assist service and ask those guys how much to replace. Don't mention your earlier quote to them.

iceagebear;999384 said:
Half the price PML quoted me! PML quoted me 680 bucks for an AGM battery, exclusive of installation. .

Red_Bean_Bun;999390 said:
Call up their road side assist service and ask those guys how much to replace. Don't mention your earlier quote to them.

That was what I told them! My dad had a flat battery on his previous E60 and was given a Varta battery as the replacement.

But my plan is to have the battery installed along with the sensors and I'm wondering if any special programming is needed lo.

Thanks for the advice though! I'll leave that as an alternative if it's really too troublesome.

As long as follow part numbers it should be ok.......ES grave wrong parts ?

iceagebear;999389 said:
I did that for my servicing ma; brought oil, filter and stock pads then. So I cheekily checked with them if they could do the same for the battery lo. Ok so that was wrong la but what about the O2 sensors? I got the original parts but they are claiming now that the sensors are considered "after market" as well. . :(

I asked for the parts that are faulty and got the same from Eng Soon lo. PML considers any parts brought from other dealers as "aftermarket" apparently..

There is a difference between the AGM battery and the normal lead acid batteries because of the different construction techniques used inside. The discharging characteristics are different and most of the time, AGM batteries are suitable for deep cycle uses (like for the auto start / stop) function.

the car needs to know when a new batt is fitted and if the size is altered so that it can recharge properly and also set the min level to which to cut off power to non essential devices which will allow you to start the car again.

Registration of the battery just tells the car that a new one is fitted. Programming is to change the characteristics I.e. capacity and type of batt.

cheers

R2D;999519 said:
There is a difference between the AGM battery and the normal lead acid batteries because of the different construction techniques used inside. The discharging characteristics are different and most of the time, AGM batteries are suitable for deep cycle uses (like for the auto start / stop) function.

the car needs to know when a new batt is fitted and if the size is altered so that it can recharge properly and also set the min level to which to cut off power to non essential devices which will allow you to start the car again.

Registration of the battery just tells the car that a new one is fitted. Programming is to change the characteristics I.e. capacity and type of batt.

cheers

Hi bro,

so to conclude, programming is indeed needed because the stock battery isn't an AGM type ya? Do you provide such a service then?

anybody call me??? hahahaha

anything bought outside is considered "illegitimate child" ... papa don't want ok ... LOL

iceagebear;999397 said:
I asked for the parts that are faulty and got the same from Eng Soon lo. PML considers any parts brought from other dealers as "aftermarket" apparently..

R2D;999519 said:

cheers

Checkout VARTA for Start/Stop tech
Varta Autobattery. The heart of every Start-Stop System. - YouTube

Yes we can program the car to accept the AGM battery and even change the size of the battery.

Presently we are introducing the grata silver start stop batteries during a batt change. These batteries are the normal lead acid type but use much thicker lead plates and this aids deep cycle required for auto start stop cars.

wt_know;999538 said:
anything bought outside is considered "illegitimate child" ... papa don't want ok ... LOL

Hmm, probably they do not want the responsibility that comes along with "it" as well la. I do not agree but, I can understand.

Rodney, can pm me price to change my car battery (AGM preferred) ?

My car E65 2008. Thanks.

What's the diff between a deep cycle agm battery versus lead acid in the context of deep cycle requirements ? Size / weight ?

R2D;999863 said:
Yes we can program the car to accept the AGM battery and even change the size of the battery.

Presently we are introducing the grata silver start stop batteries during a batt change. These batteries are the normal lead acid type but use much thicker lead plates and this aids deep cycle required for auto start stop cars.

i changed my batt at r2d too last yr! so far so good!

There is a original BMW batt lying on the floor, i saw Varta name on the batt..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvipbeauty

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back