Anyone done a conversion of Aftermarket LED Tail Lights for E46?

branlye

Hi,

All this while, I'm quite attracted to the looks of LED tail lights, only those CI our our roads. I have been thinking to change to LED doe quite some time, but the original do not manufacture for E46 Pre FL 4-door sedan, which is my current ride.

However, I came across the rear tail lights in one car accessories shop in Ubi. They're selling the E46 Aftermarket LED tail lights for both 4 doors & 2 doors. I was rather happy to see that initially, but I started to think whether will it be compatible for my ride. Can anyone advise me?
1) I feel that it will not be 'Plug & Play', cos my existing lights are using those conventional bulbs with sockets. What will be the modifications required, any relays or anthing that I need to get?
2) Will the colour of the Aftermarket tail light fade after some time of usage, under the exposure to rain & shine. I've noticed some commercial vehicles & taxis on our road with their tail lights turning to almost pink in colour.
3) Any idea what will be the cost of labour for the modifications.

Cheers.

Regards

Re: Anyone done a conversion of Aftermarket LED Tail Lights for E46?

Branlye, a couple of issues:

(1) Do they actually carry LED tails for sedans? Cause AFAIK, there are only LED tails for facelifted coupes and cabrios. Even coupes and cabrios carry different part numbers for LED tails.

(2) You definitely need a relay. Not plug and play.

(3) Perhaps you wanna PM forummer nick cybertron. He is one of the few (if not only) who did a retro-fit of LED tails on his cabriolet at BVO.

Cheers

there are led tails for sedan, just that i saw one on Ebay and i know of a few guys over at E46fanatics having done them, in SG quite surprise to hear that a shop is carrying tails for sedan, find out more dude.. let us know..

Hi Kenntona,

From the cluster design, I'm very sure that it is for the E46 Pre FL. Both tail lights were displayed for both sedan & cabriolet, I saw the difference cos the height for 2-door tail light is shorter than the sedan.

Maybe I shall contack nick cybertron to find out more, thank a million.

Regards

Hi Kenntona,

I cannot find nick cybertron, as you've mentioned. Can you help?

Regards

How much the sedan tails going for?.

Hi Shazz,

It's going at S$502.00 per pair, for both sedan & cabriolet, quite expensive to mod on this. Another problem will be the hassle to get rid of the existing pair on the ride.

Although its a headache, but LED tail lights are definately look attractive on my old car.

Cheers...

that's actually not too bad.. frm what i heard.. it should be more... i mean frm states .. it costs at least 1k, neways.. got the addie for the shop??.. i'll drop by and take a look

shaaz said:
that's actually not too bad.. frm what i heard.. it should be more... i mean frm states .. it costs at least 1k, neways.. got the addie for the shop??.. i'll drop by and take a look

It's aftermarket product & not original, I believe its Made in Taiwan. What I'm afraid is the possibilities of discolouration after the exporsure under rain & shine after some time of usage.

I saw the LED tail lights at McWell in Ubi, displayed in the glass cabinet. Take a look then & revert with any new information. I'll appreciate, thanks..

Regards

His nick is "cybertron"......

Does McWell offer any warranty for this? Some of the cheaper units actually have some LEDs failing after a while.

When that happens... wah.. like smiling with a few teeth missing. You know how it looks like on those old boot spoilers with a row of LED brakelights...

$500 sounds pretty reasonable for LED lights if the quality is acceptable.

I have an illness and there is no cure.
Looking to retrofit e60 LCI tails into an e38. Not possible right? ;-)

Since my car will never be sold I'd like to update the tails and am probably the only one asking bout this.
Any experts here, I'm not new to BMW's but this is a first post here. Thanks for not bashing the idea.

Errr, u can check with Lance, he brought in from Taiwan or China, quite cheap, not more than 500 if I can recall correctly. There is choice of tinted or clear type. He changed his side lights too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noblehospitals
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back