Anyone tired LEDs

xuexun

Has anyone tried LEDs light bulbs to replace the rear number plate lights for their e46? I know bugaboo tried it on his e60. I would like to know if the replacment will be plug and play and will the dash board indicate a blown bulb?

I found this website www.superbrightleds.com that sells 12 VDC Festoon Base Bulb with 9 LEDS for about 5USD. I emailed them if they know whether it will work but they replied "we cannot verify how your vehicle will react to the low current draw. All vehicles are different in this regard."

Would like to know if anyone have an insight on this?

Re: Anyone tired LEDs

xuexun said:
Has anyone tried LEDs light bulbs to replace the rear number plate lights for their e46? I know bugaboo tried it on his e60. I would like to know if the replacment will be plug and play and will the dash board indicate a blown bulb?

I found this website www.superbrightleds.com that sells 12 VDC Festoon Base Bulb with 9 LEDS for about 5USD. I emailed them if they know whether it will work but they replied "we cannot verify how your vehicle will react to the low current draw. All vehicles are different in this regard."

Would like to know if anyone have an insight on this?
Hi Xuexun,

I've four LED bulbs, initially bought for the purpose to replace the number plate(rear) light to a whiter one, like those Lexus GS300 on our roads, hehe...

Unfortunately, the warning light will emit, like what you've said.., an indication of a blown bulb or similar. I suspect it has something to do with the bulb's wattage. I've also tried those after market blue bulbs, but the wattage is 10W for the size of the OEM bulb E46 is using. Due to that, the panel(where we open the rear boot), had two funny 'melting' zone where the bulbs were sitted & subsequently there was a thin crack on the panel.

I believed the 10W bulbs were too hot for the plastic panel. At the end fo the day, my damage was a replacement of the entire panel whick was near $150. So, my advise is.., don't buy the bulbs first, try on the LED & see whether will there be any warning light.

Regards

So am I right to say that there is no way to fix one on without any wiring modification?

hi xuexun.

to get around the error, i did this.
normal_DSC02027.JPG

not the most elegant solution, but works for me. had done this on my car for more than a month.

What you did is to connect a resistor(stock bulb) in parallel with the LED am i right?

thats exactly wat i did...
didnt know it'll melt the panel...have to check my car later...

hetraa said:
thats exactly wat i did...
didnt know it'll melt the panel...have to check my car later...
hi xavier,

ya, pls check, see whether is there anything wrong on your rear boot panel, which is just above the car reg. nbr. pls revert after your finding.

my case, due to the heat generated from the 10W bulb, the panel was melted from inside, which subsequently lead to a fine crack. it can be seen from outside. or maybe you were using a different brand of bulb, with a different wattage?

regards

If it is too hot, then isolate it by placing a thick aluminum plate or heat-sink around it. Or install it in some 'mid-air'location, after all it is extended out already.

I use Philips Diamond Vision (I think 5000K) for the headlight and it caused a slight melting on the headlight cover. The cover is probably 6 inches away the bulb!

The diamond vision is not suppose to cause melting on the headlight cover.... I think you are using bulb of higher wattage thats which causes of the increase in temperature..
I read from e46fanatics that most cases of melting are caused the usage of bulbs of incorrect wattage.

The LED white lights on the rear of the GS300 is damn cool.... :) Good Luck Xuexun

MapleLeaf said:
If it is too hot, then isolate it by placing a thick aluminum plate or heat-sink around it. Or install it in some 'mid-air'location, after all it is extended out already.

I use Philips Diamond Vision (I think 5000K) for the headlight and it caused a slight melting on the headlight cover. The cover is probably 6 inches away the bulb!

My Diamond visions have been installed for a month and so far so good...

My headlights were Philips Diamondvision 5000. I installed it together with my angle eyes at J4C.

Newredbug said:
The LED white lights on the rear of the GS300 is damn cool.... :) Good Luck Xuexun

I actually ordered a pair with 18LEDs from a uk website.. Now waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I hope it won't be too too bright. Wonder how will it look.. Can't wait, ha~

MapleLeaf said:
My headlights were Philips Diamondvision 5000. I installed it together with my angle eyes at J4C.

Installed at J4C, then i its quite unlikely they use the bulb of wrong wattage. Maybe you should bring down for a check. I don't think melting of the headlight cluster is anything common.

XueXun

wats the webpage? maybe i can also go snoop around ..... and convert my ride to GS318 hahahah

Newredbug said:
XueXun

wats the webpage? maybe i can also go snoop around ..... and convert my ride to GS318 hahahah

The site is www.ultraleds.co.uk ... I ordered from there because it is one of the few site which provide a festoon bulb with alot of LEDs with the required length. However, i dont know if it can work or not. So why not wait for me to try it out first before you take out your cash:)

Let me know how the UK LEDs go... I'm very interested to convert my signal and brake lights too. One thing, you need additional resistor to present the proper load to the system, or else you'll get check lights popping up all over the place. Did you order with these?

I've got the LED festoon bulb in and have it fixed on in the middle of the night. Perfect fit and dont have the blown bulb indication in the dash board. Very bright like GS300. Very satisfied. Going to post some pictures asap for your view:) Now got to test it for a few weeks and see how well it goes

For those who are interested...

Picture quality not so good because lazy to find my camera, so use phone

picture 1 - 18LED festoon bulb
picture 2 - Changed one side without light cover on
picture 3 - Changed one side with cover on
picture 4 - both bulb changed
picture 5 - close up

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics