Anyone tired LEDs

Re: Anyone tired LEDs

xuexun, beautiful bulbs. What is the model or parts number of the bulbs?

Good simple mod! Would be nice if u could do a DIY for the rest of the forumers who would want to go down this route!

1 thing to note, i think my car doesn't come with the blown bulb indicator as i tried with the bulbs removed, there is nothing on the dashboard. Ordered them at http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

1pair of (239) 36 -39mm Bright White Dome Light (18 Leds) Superior Ver Xe for 7.05pounds each.

It is really simple to change the bulbs. Just remove the cover, pop in the bulbs and put back the cover. Anyone need help sure can find me:)

xuexun said:
For those who are interested...

Picture quality not so good because lazy to find my camera, so use phone

picture 1 - 18LED festoon bulb
picture 2 - Changed one side without light cover on
picture 3 - Changed one side with cover on
picture 4 - both bulb changed
picture 5 - close up

Hi Xuexun,

In your given website, there are 3 types of LED bulbs, which appeared same to me. Can you confirm which is the exact one you bought? Price of GBP8.23/pc. How long did the bulbs get to reach you, upon confirming your order?

Regards

I think some of them come with a Voltage Regulator now as stated in the website. I think they say that it can withstand higher voltages... don't really know what it means. I think some other products u see are of different length(our car use 37mm one) and of different colour(bright white and warm white)..

I noted something about the bulbs too. It remainds dimly lighted all the time except when the car is parked and locked. Doesn't really bother me though, just to let you know

Congratulations ON ur SUCCESSFUL mod....

Well DONE... NOW u are the 1st GS318 In singapore :)

Just ordered the cool white version..... kekekekke..:)

2-5 working days for delivery.... REALLY????

actually it took me 7 days to recieve it after they confirm the despatch... Don't think i'm first la.

Going to change out my reversing lights to white ones too to match the white light theme :)

xuexun said:
actually it took me 7 days to recieve it after they confirm the despatch... Don't think i'm first la.

Going to change out my reversing lights to white ones too to match the white light theme :)

Xuexun is our white-lover here.. Haha..

Someone just ask me about the bulbs, so i'll like to update those who are interested... Out of the 18 bulbs each side, 12 have blown over the the past 4-5months... I've ordered the 2nd pair that comes with the voltage regulator, so far so good... Hope they have really improved it :)
They claim that I am the only one who complain to them that the LEDs failed so quickly...

Hi just to highlight, LED ultra bright are running on 3.6V and draws about 12 milliamps.. roughly about 0.4 watts. Hence 18 of them sums up to < 8 watts.

Your DC supply of 12 volts needs to be stepped down by resistors and resistors generate more heat than LED (LED are quite cool). You can connect 4 LED in series to your vehicle supply without much problem but if one blows, all goes. Having resistors hence prevent this.

If your car governs both voltage and wattage output in your ECU, then the LED may not match up in the wattage aspect. Adding more resistors (or ohms) may be a way to match the figures but the heat generated would be of concern.

LED are also polarity sensitive.. meaning (+) and (-) cannot be wrong. The feeston bulb I see in the pics are likely to have a complexity of micro diodes and relays to handle this. Micro relays are reliable in stationary application such as computers and even handphones. But on a bumpy vehicle, they may short causing one bank of LED to "blow".

Don't know much about the E46 ECU, hence can't offer any solution at hand.

Hmm, anyone else knows if it is harmful or anything... Actually at my first buy, i bought a few resistors and thought i may need to connect them in parallel for the bulbs to work and not for the car to sense a blown bulb.

However, after installing them, i realise that these bulbs can light up fine. The only irregularity that i observed at the beginning is that the bulbs are on all the time. Even when the lights are off, the bulbs are dimly lit.

Another thing is that the person at the website says that the bulb can manage up to 12V of voltage and can be used as a direct replacement over normal festoon bulbs. The bulbs i got blew up row by row, meaning 6 at a time. I think this time round they may have fixed it adding the regulator thingy. And for it being polarity sensitive, it can light up both way round, and in the detail of the site, it is stated that the bulb can work both way round, so i think the circuit has something that fix this.

Handphone leds work well in my pocket and even works fine when dropped a couple of times, i'm quite sure the bulbs in the car will not experience so much bump as compared to a handphone.

This are just my opinion, any gurus care to help? Regarding the ecu part, i'm totally clueless...

LED is definitely polarity sensitive.. LED means Lights Emitting Diode. The circuitry that comes with your festoon probably has the micro relays and diodes to detect the positive and switch the pole position. It is the relay and not the LED that is sensitive to bumps.

It could also be that your light switch is connected to the ground (-) with the live (+) being direct, hence causing a mild leakage in the circuitry when your switch is off resulting in the LED to still light up in low intensity. The draw is only 12 milliamp per LED and not likely to drain your battery overnight. I won't know if there are other hazards.

Resistor of around 400 ohms are used to step down your 12V to an appropriate voltage to work the LED, so 12 volt supply is not a problem. In reducing the current, the resistor consumer the additional electrical energy normally by converting them to heat energy. Hence, the back of the festoon (where I suspect the circuitry is) will be hotter than the LED (front).

I don't know much about ECU either but if it can be re-program not to read the wattage of your tail lights, you can revert the circuit and those LED will probably work like clockworks.

Just sharing my knowledge on LED application. I uses them occasionally for experiment and some work projects.

just to let u know that aftermarket leds on un-original applications dont last! the guys at autobacs will tell u that. even parking light leds blow after 2mths at most. thats 14$ each side

coupe1 said:
just to let u know that aftermarket leds on un-original applications dont last! the guys at autobacs will tell u that. even parking light leds blow after 2mths at most. thats 14$ each side

i've been running these pair on my rear licence plate lights since nov 2005 without any problems.

Hope i didn't just jinx myself here. next thing i know the bulbs will blow tomorrow nite. :)

leds have a life span, the harder you drive them the faster they burn out... maybe one led blows out on each row affects the entire row coz maybe they are connected in series.

if you fiddle around with the blown ones you might be able to fix them yourselves. Just bypass the blow LED and see if the rest works...

if you connect them wrongly (wrong polarity) it'll probably not work that's about it... since I dont think the breakdown voltage is less than 12V

just my 2 cents worth...cheers!

bugaboo said:
i've been running these pair on my rear licence plate lights since nov 2005 without any problems.

Hope i didn't just jinx myself here. next thing i know the bulbs will blow tomorrow nite. :)
Meng - where did you buy them from? Cheers

Meng - Many thanks. Can you remember the unit no? If you are free, can we meet up next Sat night?

Hmm, ok, after being fascinated by the white led for a few months, my 2nd set of bulbs have blown after holding on for barely 1.5month. Totally lose faith already. Definately after trying and testing, I DO NOT recommand people buying from the website i posted earlier. They simply dont last.

I shall get the ones bugaboo have and try them out soon

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debet39com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back