Are older BMWs good value?

clubbye

Hi, am a newbie here. Am considering picking up a bmw which is more than 10 years old ie. COE car. Looking at the 318s. Maybe a cabrio or coupe too. Are they generally ok cars to own and maintain. Have heard enough horror stories aboout maintaining BMWs but surprisingly from people who keep buying them anyway!

Dun think i am v fussy owner cos i been driving an old mini for the last 10 years and am looking at getting a new daily use car.

Advice?

Re: Are older BMWs good value?

I just bought one.... a 1992 320i...

Yet to be seen whether I will regret the decision - but here's hoping.

Either way, it looks and drives a lot better than similar alternative "COE" cars (for similar price!)

agree. am also considering the COE miata also. Nice drive that car.

btw, how much did you pay above the COE for your bm? did you buy from dealer or owner?

It really depends. I bought a 1991 e34 two years ago. Till today i still enjoy it more than any other car i have owned in the last 25 years. But condition is important. Since i decided to keep the car till 2011, I have renewed many parts. But for dollar to quality of ride value, nothing beats a good old 'COE' Bmw. One more thing: a really good honest mechanic!

My E36 is more than 2 years with me and I'm still enjoying it. The only car that I missed most is the E30 before it. Maybe the most regretful thing is why the hell I didn't jump into an old BMW much earlier...

Enjoying every moment when driving my e30......till scrap do us apart hahahahaha

clubbye said:
Have heard enough horror stories aboout maintaining BMWs but surprisingly from people who keep buying them anyway!

Advice?

Cause nothing drives better than BMW's, the old BMW's are way ahead in terms of driving dynamics when comparing to other present cars. And even though its more than 10 yrs old, it still is a BMW and a BMW is a BMW.:lol2:

My MY92 E36 320i has been with me for 1.5 years thereabout.

Big pluses are the wonderful driving dynamics, comfort and interestingly reliability. Beyond that, the spares are very affordable compared to my Japo machine.

Only minus is the fuel consumption doing 8 km/l or 8.5 km/l urban driving at best.

To say the least, I will not hesitate to make the same decision If I want to pick up another COE car.

LanEVO8, i guess u must be buying the parts ur self rite? hehehehehe

Recently i tested the E90 320i and 323i. Whilst they were great cars, i came away impressed by the fact that my e34 must have been at least 15 years ahead of its time, because it still feels so modern to drive, with almost equally high refinement. i didn't feel 'behind times' at all. However, the e32/34/36 share many parts so the parts costs are still reasonable.

I cannot think of any other brand of car of this vintage that is comparable. Today, however, is a totally different story. I have to admit the IS250 does give the e90 a real challenge. And having driven them all, I can tell you its a tough fight.

Still, my e34 is really rewarding to own. How i wish they still built cars this way.

ersalle71

Right on on picking up the spares myself... Just pay labor and no more. In all honesty, I won't mind paying for the cost associated with inventory holding, but 30% is beyond me. Beyond my gasoline cost too even at 8 km/l.

have been scouting around the last 2 or 3 days. will keep looking to find a nice COE 318 to buy. Appreciate the feedback, and if you know anyone selling gimme a buzz!

clubbye said:
Hi, am a newbie here. ......................Dun think i am v fussy owner cos i been driving an old mini for the last 10 years and am looking at getting a new daily use car.

Advice?

If u can live with a Mini for 10 years u and live with any car!!! Trust me, I had 3 Minis. and now I have a 23 year old 320 ........... but all said and done BMW's have different set of nightmares......... cost wise i think both Mini and E36 will be the same.... just don't bring your E36 to PML

haha, ok. How much above the residual COE value should i pay? I know dealer usually ask for 10k, and they probably offer 5k only to sellers. whats a fair price? 6k?

Was just wondering if there will be any significant rattling or internal squeakings etc. My ex 4.5 yr old bimmer already started having window rattling despite just changing the power window regulator. Makes me a little weary of buying COE bimmers as I am quite sensitive to such sounds.

opvaulet said:
It really depends. I bought a 1991 e34 two years ago. Till today i still enjoy it more than any other car i have owned in the last 25 years. But condition is important. Since i decided to keep the car till 2011, I have renewed many parts. But for dollar to quality of ride value, nothing beats a good old 'COE' Bmw. One more thing: a really good honest mechanic!

Hi, I'm new here as well. Would you recommend a good and affordable mechanic shop for old BMW upgrades and maintainance?

yogi_lite no worries, change the door panel clips and I have custom some rubber washer for each of them and my 12 yrs + car door panel doesn't squeak no more. Hmmm.. I have hard suspension, low profile tyres and drive like a nut some time.. hence many other noise e.g. rattle glove box, stuff in boots tossing around especially fire extinguisher.. coins and small item in ash-tray, side pocket etc etc.. but by now, those were close to music and pretty much enjoyable.

fusion25 you may try the link below;

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/workshops.php

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamewin79mobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back