Audio system upgrade for E46

Kickers,

Lanzar originated from US but nowadays most of their products are Taiwan made. Cheap labour what to do....

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT Taiwan made...

The "sian" thing is that as u talk to another shop, u hear another different thing. i went to another shop recommended in this forum and was told that i need a pre-amp (audiocontrol). The manager say jus adding a subwoofer with a 2ch amp is not the way. Was told that minimum is an amp, 2 + 2 speakers, and pre-amp. Anyhow, bump into a evo-owner , and he recomended Rainbow, which he claim is better for mid-range, whilst the shop manager reco Bazooka, more mid-bass.

I'll jus listen to Arsony's ride first b4 deciding.. Its just too confusing.

I heard Lanzar is made in China. Btw, anyone heard of Orion brand of amps, subwoofers etc ?

An experienced mechanic suggested to me a 12" Orion subwoofer, without cutting the back speaker board/panel, which i am more comfortable. ANy opinions ?

Orion used to be a famous brand for ICE, however nowadays like bro Arsony said, due to cheap labours you can hardly find equipment that is still made in USA.

I am using 2 ch ORION 300W to drive my JLAudio 10 inch. Mine is a very old amp borrowed from a friend so have to return, thinking of replacing it with Sony 2x400W cos adding another sub.

I just called Hong Guan and I was impressed with the lady who answered the phone as she knows her stuffs. Recommend me to try Cadence but a bit ex leh...any suggestion?

haha...i went to hong guan also and like the svc very much. She's knowledgeable and very helpful. I m thinkin of buying the Orion HCCA 225Gs , old one made in USA. But what i wud prefer is a 400w RMS x 4 at 4ohm impedance. My budget means its hard to find, unless a used one.

I'm not sure of Sony amps..i think u should check with HOng guan in terms of matching the power etc..

oneHeadlight,

What do you have in your ride now?

I'm doing mine step by step, originally I wanted to use the front a/d/s from my old car but was told by the installer that I have to cut the metal which I don't want, so end up using the Infinity components which is ok only..plus I installed 1 10' JLAudio freeair as I don't want to use up the trunk space. The bros in this forum are correct, I watched as they drilled holes in my baby, wah heartpain boy! Anyway I use the Orion purely to drive the sub and the other one is Lanzar 4 ch which I use for front and rear.

Now I'm saving up to buy my next gadget one by one, so far I managed to get the other JLAudio, next item would be headunit and another Amp (Sony).

Maybe I should go to HongGuan to check them out but still no money leh...hee..hee..by the way any idea how much they charge for installation only?

i dont have anything in my ride now :) But intend to do someting less than wat u have currently. Helix front components, 12" sub boxed, a 4 ch amp of 100W RMS x 4. My budget not high so got to do some homework.

I'm not sure how much they charge for installation only. I guess they are familiar with the electronics. Don't think they are cheap. Example, i was quoted $100 more when i asked another shop about the sub including building of the box for the sub. But in terms of whole package, they are willin to negotiate. THe consideration is probably peace of mind.

The swedish made DLS component speakers are quite good as they can really hit the high notes and the sound quality is quite clear.......Amps and subs....i am using Rockford....the sound quality that they give out is quite powerful...and given the fact that they are the only few audio parts still made in the US....the standard is somewhat there....thats in my own opinion anyway...if u want can always hear my system....can intro the shop to u.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The swedish made DLS component speakers are quite good as they can really hit the high notes and the sound quality is quite clear.......Amps and subs....i am using Rockford....the sound quality that they give out is quite powerful...and given the fact that they are the only few audio parts still made in the US....the standard is somewhat there....thats in my own opinion anyway...if u want can always hear my system....can intro the shop to u.

What about the bass? Which shop would that be? Cheers!

I'm using the basic DLS component speakers for the front, driven by a Lanzar 2-channel amp. really cost effective upgrade done by Acoustics Auto Sound at 6th Avenue. much much happier now compared to stock system, which is rubbish.

The mid bass would be punchy, depending on your other set up.
Mids are accurately produced as DLS' mission is to get natural sound.

:thumbsup: DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS DLS :thumbsup:

Woah....With such unwavering support and reviews for DLS components,I guess I'd hafta roll with DLS then.

Just a last check, the DLS UP6 fits like a glove right? No major operation, etc. Do you guys concur?

Thanks for your astute opinions buddys. The lack of available 6.5 components for the E46 has been driving me up the wall. Finally!

MaVrk,

DLS aint the best speakers around for the same price.
A bit of operation will allow u to buy better front components.

Lanzar aint recommended, no offence to anyone using it but thats the opinion of ICE enthusiasts. Wud suggest Audison if its just betwen the two.

Thanks for the advice buddy, but the thought of having the new speaker cover on the door panel somehow gives an unsightly feel.

Unless you spray it gray, and when you wanna sell the car and take out the speakers for the next, you'd probably have to replace the whole door panel right?

But you're right, for the price of DLS UP6 in which I was quoted about almost $800, you're looking at other speakers with much better capabilities for the same price range.

Was really considering brands like Focal K2P 165W, JBL GTi Series, Infiniti Perfect Series, or Rockford Fosgate Type RF which were the bassier models, but the mounting depths were key issues.

By the way, I think Boston Pro 60, Morel Elate 6 or Genesis A16.02 might fit. Is anybody using the above-mentioned? Do share.

From my limited knowlege, I think the E46 can only have speakers that have a mounting depth of not more than 65mm or 2,56". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Damn freaking beemers, German's are not much of ice enthusiast eh. Maybe they kinda forgot along the way. Sheesh.

go MOrel....!!! i think HYbrid Ovation good enough. Elate 2 way or 3 ?
how much can u get for MOrel elate, and which shop ?

btw, i may have interpret the word "panel" wrongly. I meant u can actually cut the door itself, so the panel is left untouched. When u sell the car, nobody knows unles they remove the panel. U can do a rainshield. I personally not comfortable to go so far, but if u are an enthusiast, then u can consider it.

Focal K2P is quite brilliant... i m thinkin of buying it also..

Hi oneHeadlight, went with DLS in the end. Likewise, didnt wanna go too far with the door mod. Just didn't wanna go thru repercussions of having leaks etc. Though i feel that K2P would prob give out better mid-bass.

The DLS speakers aint too bad afterall, very clear mids, by my entry-level standards. Now, hafta find good coaxial speakers to match the sound from front. Don't think DLS provides coaxial right? My current Blaupunkt coaxials aint too good. Any suggestions? Or should I add splits for the rear as well.

oneHeadlight said:
Focal K2P is quite brilliant... i m thinkin of buying it also..

Go for it...tried so many speakers and still this is the only one that I fit liao no regrets.

I may sound bias...but what I like is..

1) clean sound
2) easy to drive

If you consider clean sound...there are other speakers out there that sounds better...but needs power or cost the moon.

Easy to drive...again many choices...BUT either sounds too crappy for my liking.

Personally...I cringe at the price of the Perfects....cos it cost a bomb and tweets sounds so bright that I dun even need to clean my ears....all the wax drop out !!

Actually you already get a hint from the speaker spec...

Titanium/aluminium tweeters usually end up rather bright. Has to be tamed with custom work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bong88nyc
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back