Awkard Pedal & Posture Positioning... anyone?

johnny cash

Hi,

I have been driving my F30 for a couple of weeks now, and still having a hard time to set a comfortable seating posture.

This is mainly due to the footing position, so let's not talk about the upper body positioning!

I have been driving with my heels in between the brakes and accelerator, and the heel acts as a lever point to switch between the 2, and I think comfort is an important factor as well. (I believe the same for all of you, or I have been using the wrong technique all my years of driving?)

However, in my procedural memory settings in my F30, my heels tend to slip further in and in whenever I switch between the 2 during driving.

The F30 floor is somehow angled downwards. The heel area of the mat (3M provided by PML as well as the original mat) is also slippery no real friction to hold my heel in place --- this is really quite frustrating!

I have to adapt to putting my heel or sole on the accelerator pad instead and twist more to the brakes instead, and this is also causing my leg to be extended more. If I adjust the seating more inwards, the angle of my ankle will make it difficult to bend and switch to the brakes.

Please advise your pedal position.

PS: I should have taken a pic to illustrate. Will do that tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, "floor" type pedal will always be awkward, in my case, rather than "ceiling" type of pedal commonly found in japs car. But in F30, its normal and seems the same position as my merc as both floor type

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

I have similar observations too. Part of this problem is that the gas and brake pedals are more offset to the right, whereas in other cars I've driven the brake is pretty much close to the center. I also left foot brake, so it is annoying that I have to sit in a slightly awkward position when doing so. The pedal position causes you to move your right feet to the right. Maybe it is more comfortable to sit with feet slightly apart than together but for me if I left foot brake I will have to tilt to the right. I guess in a LHD that's fine but the orientation is wrong for RHD. In most cars including a VW Golf which has a floor mounted pedal my heel is usually placed closer to the gas than the brake. Our feet rotates inward more easily than outward so reaching for the brake is not awkward at all plus the brake is usually higher than the gas.

Regarding your heel slipping, two things:
1. Throw that 3M piece of crap mat away and order a proper BMW all weather rubber mat for your car
2. Try sitting a little lower. You may be sitting too high causing you to lift your foot to an uncomfortable angle to get om the brakes, that's why your heels are slipping.

Cheers.

I think apart from heel slip, the general comment is that the newer RHD BMWs have awkward pedal positions... annoying that they actually market it as "sheer driving pleasure" when you have "sheer right foot displeasure"

"Thumbs Up"!

Thanks for the all the advices including same sentiments from detach8

The floor pedal is not awkward, it's ok for me.

I'm already sitting very low. Actually higher will be more comfortable for me as I have long legs and the heels are better angled --- but still slips. I have spent a lot of time and sweat to adjust various positions that my neighbours think I am crazy in love with my car!

I've even contemplating changing my car to a mini (Still my favourite car now)... haha!

detach8, where to get the BMW all weather rubber mat and price?

Doesn't make sense to keep changing my shoes every time I get in my car, right : )

Oh believe me you aren't the only one who spends so much time adjusting the angle of your seat.

The 3M mats slide all over the f***ing place, and over time all the crap gets stuck in there and it's hard to get them out and they develop a smell. I sworn not to ever use them again.

The original BMW rubber floor mats can be ordered from PML or Munich Auto. Just go to the parts department with your vehicle number and they'll get the right mats for you. It has the same velcro pieces as the velour mats so it will not slip at all.

The new Minis are comfortable, but I find them no longer "mini". In fact if you park the new Mini beside a Toyota Altis, it looks bigger. I prefer the previous generation (R56) Mini, but some find the ride a tad stiff for daily drive. If you like sporty driving, the Mini is pretty nice. But remember... it's a FWD.

Thanks bro,

lol : )

My 3M mat is not slipping. They are held well in place. It's my heels that slips further in whenever brakes are depressed and when switching between the brakes and accelerator.

Now that I place my heels at the accelerator instead, slipping will go away as the heel is stopped by the base of the floor pedal. And now it's all about adapting a new foothold.

I agree the new minis aren't mini anymore, but I prefer the new models (but not the rear lights design). They are more comfy, but I know that mini die-hard fans love the R56 for the rally drive feel.

One of them is my bro and I do also enjoyed driving his cooper s, but not long distance.

Wanted to take a pic of my foot positions today but totally forgot, hope I remember tomorrow.

Try installing heel plate. It might help

http://www.pedalhaus.com/heelplates.html
e30hp-2.jpg

Finally I found a thread I can relate to. Ok, for me it's the lack of lumbar support in the sports seat. Mine is 318i Sports. Didn't realise the seat didn't have lumbar. Thought its standard for sports seat. Anyways, it's killing my back and yes in addition to the awkward foot positions. I've been getting bad back aches. Had to buy lumbar support cushion. Sigh.

Also, another question around the Sensatec. Damn hot lah the seats. Is it just me? Backside and thighs always sweating!

Yes only models above 318i comes standard with lumbar support.

And yes to the seats, which I think is slow in cooling down after parking under the hot sun, and in turn might cause you to have this problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1jun88net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back