Battery Died at one and half years.

MapleLeaf

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
My battery died last night, so had the chance to spend two hours at a quiet car park with a lovely lady last night waiting for BMW Emergency Service.

Varta battery. 80AH. Replaced March 2011. Called up battery shop this morning and was told nowadays btty lifespan one and half to two years normal.

My previous E46, btty lasted 4 years.

Tmr morning I am sending my car to Munich for ATF and brake fluid replacement. Anybody happen to be going MA tmr morning 9am?

Re: Battery Died at one and half years.

MapleLeaf;839065 said:
My battery died last night, so had the chance to spend two hours at a quiet car park with a lovely lady last night waiting for BMW Emergency Service.

Varta battery. 80AH. Replaced March 2011. Called up battery shop this morning and was told nowadays btty lifespan one and half to two years normal.

Tmr morning I am sending my car to Munich for ATF and brake fluid replacement. Anybody happen to be going MA tmr morning 9am?

today another BMW Service Mobile came to the carpark...

Think original BMW batteries last longer. My first battery (that came with the car) lasted 2+ years and probably because it was not used much during its first year as the car was manufactured in 2006 but only clocked 2,000km by Nov 2007 (when I bought it from PPSL). My second battery (courtesy of BMW Mobile Service, free of charge as under warranty then) is still working (3+ years) and fingers crossed it will last till year-end. Trouble with modern maintenance free batteries is that they don't have a habit of letting you know they are going to fail.

156F1;839080 said:
Think original BMW batteries last longer.

Trouble with modern maintenance free batteries is that they don't have a habit of letting you know they are going to fail.

My btty gave me no warning that it's failing. I guess it's a heart-attack with no symptoms. No ICE, no coughing symtpoms. Even when it died last night, headlight was normal and horn could still be blasted. Just no energy to crank.

Is original BMW btty better? I dunno. But the battery/tyre shop quoted me $260 for a 80Ah btty with 6 months warranty and BMW Emergency Service quoted me $320 for an original BMW btty with TWO years warranty.

Any since BMW ES came to my assistance twice without charging me, I bot the btty from them. I want to be grateful to those who are helpful.

MapleLeaf;839085 said:
My btty gave me no warning that it's failing. I guess it's a heart-attack with no symptoms. No ICE, no coughing symtpoms. Even when it died last night, headlight was normal and horn could still be blasted. Just no energy to crank.

Is original BMW btty better? I dunno. But the battery/tyre shop quoted me $260 for a 80Ah btty with 6 months warranty and BMW Emergency Service quoted me $320 for an original BMW btty with TWO years warranty.

Any since BMW ES came to my assistance twice without charging me, I bot the btty from them. I want to be grateful to those who are helpful.

I would do the same too.

MapleLeaf;839065 said:

Is MA open on sundays now?

156F1;839080 said:
Think original BMW batteries last longer. My first battery (that came with the car) lasted 2+ years and probably because it was not used much during its first year as the car was manufactured in 2006 but only clocked 2,000km by Nov 2007 (when I bought it from PPSL). My second battery (courtesy of BMW Mobile Service, free of charge as under warranty then) is still working (3+ years) and fingers crossed it will last till year-end. Trouble with modern maintenance free batteries is that they don't have a habit of letting you know they are going to fail.

Mine lasted 5 years - you might be right that original batteries last longer.

MapleLeaf;839065 said:

Did you leave aircon running with engine off? hehehe carpark at night.. hmm… happening eh.

I think modern ECUs should be capable of detecting a weak battery. Afterall voltage is *already* being monitored... more so for the newer EfficientDynamics bullcrap with alternator clutch... the car should be able to tell when batt is weak and resume charging.

My car is 3 and a half years old and this morning I saw a fault message saying battery charge level low while I was adjusting the climate setting after I turned off the engine. But when I brought the car to PML, I was told the battery is ok as the voltage is 13.65v with engine running. According to the SA, only models from FL E90 onwards are able to monitor the battery's condition.

My previous E60 battery lasted 6.5 years and still strong with ICE and woofer. =) Nicely done =)
My previous E46 battery lasted 4.5 years and still strong but changed it when everyone told me to change it.
1.5 years seemed too fast. And I just heard another case few days ago with 1.5 years lifespan for his battery..... =(
Maybe it will be the new normal?

The website below claimed that new batteries installed have to be registered in the iDrive to enable proper charging and monitoring. I wonder if anyone has seen this being done when their batteries are changed. Perhaps, this is why stock is better since the iDrive will not need to 'learn'. If a new battery is improperly charged, this can explain why it will die in 1.5 years?

BMW New Battery Replacement and Registering – 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 Series, X3, X5, X6 | Bavarian Autosport Blog

Don't forget to ask them to "program" the battery change.

MapleLeaf;839065 said:

my original battery that came with the car lasted for 5+ yrs, stock car w/o ICE tho. called in the BMW Emergency service and had it changed out weeks back, cost me just below $300 and was about 1.5hrs job,mostly was for the time taken to register/ program the battery. accordingly the change is 'registered' onto their tablet, which would then be downloaded into PML's database

My factory fitted battery after 1.5 years on the road now showed "Change Battery" on the screen. Heard most lasted 3, 4 years or more. What would be the cause of my short lived battery? Could it be digital TV and cameras (front & back) that drained up the battery?

Where can I get the battery changed? I mean original battery.

cymon;914280 said:
My factory fitted battery after 1.5 years on the road now showed "Change Battery" on the screen. Heard most lasted 3, 4 years or more. What would be the cause of my short lived battery? Could it be digital TV and cameras (front & back) that drained up the battery?

Where can I get the battery changed? I mean original battery.

actually it's a very simple answer if you have been following forum trends..

If AD car, go back AD..or your warranty void..n also AD is the God

If PI car, go back your PI or any good workshop like one of the site sponsors.

Not sure if anyone shares my luck. My 530i is 8yrs old, and still on original battery! No ICE, but just TV tuner and in-car cam. 84,000 km now. Maybe what helped would be that about one and a half years ago, I added a Nanopulserwhich I think did a lot to save the batt. Before I fitted, the car was going strong but battery checker said 0% life left, then it gradually went up to 60% and now its 80+ % life. Let's see if it can really last the entire COE lifespan... hahah

I think what helps a lot is that the batt is in the boot and unlike other cars, not exposed to all that extreme temperature cycling in the engine bay. BMW original batt rocks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winterbrian89
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back