Best tire for the 3 series?

Re: Best tire for the 3 series?

Hi there!

Am looking for tyres to replace. Currently running on 225/40/R18 Breyton Rims.

A few things that I hope to achieve with new tyres:
1) Stability -- Noted that with the above, facelifted E46 is still not as good as non-facelifted E46. Anti-roll definitely not as good
2) Grip
3) Noise
4) 235/40/R18 advisable for 318i?
5) Budget about $250/pc but cheap and good recommendation better!

Can any bros advise pls?

vintantc said:

In that price range in terms of quality/performance you are most probably looking at Eagle F1 GSD3, Toyo T1-R and Dunlop SportMaxx. F1s should be spot on in your budget, the Toyos and SportMaxx maybe a bit more.

From what I have read, any of the 3 should come real close within each other, although recent reviews by Tirerack rates the SportMaxx the best.

Personally I am on 225/40/18 F1s and I find them great so far.

Went to track at Sepang with SO3, I swear by it.

Recently changed to PS2, havent gone tracking with it. But did a few unexpected G pulling turns that saved my life. I am certain i doubled swear by PS2 now. Although the tire thread looks sissy.

BlackStealth said:
Went to track at Sepang with SO3, I swear by it.

Recently changed to PS2, havent gone tracking with it. But did a few unexpected G pulling turns that saved my life. I am certain i doubled swear by PS2 now. Although the tire thread looks sissy.

good to know my tires saved u couple times.. im not that of a bro then after all eh .. muahahahahhaa

vintantc said:
Hi there!

Am looking for tyres to replace. Currently running on 225/40/R18 Breyton Rims.

A few things that I hope to achieve with new tyres:
1) Stability -- Noted that with the above, facelifted E46 is still not as good as non-facelifted E46. Anti-roll definitely not as good
2) Grip
3) Noise
4) 235/40/R18 advisable for 318i?

Can any bros advise pls?

recently I did some 'mkt survey', and finfd that Poh Heng in AMK Ind park 2 offers great price n service. Frankly I think all the top range tyres of each brand is quite good for general road driving, most shops I go to recommend Toyo, Dunlop, Yokohama, bridgestone. No one recco Michelin bcos the price is high n also stock seems to be diff to get at times. Some even say Hankook[korean] is acceptable.

You mean my tire have not save your life? Better drive safely or else i kena sued.....

shaaz said:
good to know my tires saved u couple times.. im not that of a bro then after all eh .. muahahahahhaa

Thank you Guys! : )

More questions:

1) will increasing the width to 235 increase the stability significantly? anyone had tried that?

2) I love the look of the F1 tyre particularly the thread -- so "chio"! But any comments on the Thai Made VS German Made. Someone said for singapore road condition, Thai one is adequate. But I am more concern about whether it will last and will it make more noise?

i too think Hankook tire can perform on BMW as they already have tied up with Germany HAMMAN Technology to fix their tyre on the BMW during modification.Secondly last year Porsche Cup in Austria was also sponsor by Hankook .almost half of the car was fixed with Hankook tire.I hv been using this tyre for over a year i find the wet grip is superd.

CSC 3 would be the best compromise performance versus price, as Michellin and Pirelli in the similar group performed better by 10-12% but cost up to 30% higher, 18" rim size with similar width and profile.
The next lower budget tyre would be Yokohama Sport with lower price than CSC3, reasonable performance wet and dry, lower price than CSC3 for sure.

I had to change my tires as a nail struck one of them.

As I retained the original 14 inch rims on my E30, it was almost impossible to find the stock size of 195/65/14 and from a European marque.

After numerous calls to many tire shops who introduced alternatives, one of them manage to find me a Continental ContiEcoContact5 in 185/70/14.

I understand now that 14 inch wheel replacements are harder as everyone has moved on to 15 inches and above.

This is FYI for those of us who still use stock rims on our E30s. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w9betgroup
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back