BMW 1 series

Re: BMW 1 series

Just collected my ride on Friday.

Today while trying to start moving at a traffic light stop, the car just refused to move.

Then there is this drivetrain error on the screen warning that car can only move very slow.

Struggle at 30-40+ km/h till home and shocked to find that cannot engage Reverse gear. Thus got to park head on. Called th SE who in turn arranged for towing.

But when I restart engine again all errors are gone. Car drives normally now!

Anyway will send in to PML tomorrow.

Also since day 1 the brakes when heated produce an irritating loud hi pitch screeching that my wife can hear few blocks away. SE told me it is normal which I sincerely doubt so.

Any kind soul here has experience like this?

Thank you,

wow nashqband73,

definitely haven't experienced the above two problems before...PML must give your new baby a thorough check!

For mine, it's just that the runflat tyres lose pressure quite quickly like once a week, esp the right front. have been advised my SE since day 1 that it should be 220 front 230 behind. When I called PML technical assistance, it's 200 front 220 behind which is lower! anyway both can't work out too well!

for bros driving the 116i, what are ur tyre pressures and any issues? Other than that I luv the 116i since having it 2 months ago! :)

I've been driving my 116i for 1 week already and today while I was parking my car at PML at Dunearn Road, I forgotten to switch off the engine, locked the door with the thumb on the handle and left for dinner.

When I came back after dinner (1.30 hrs later), my wife saw that the car's engine is still running!

Arrghhhh........wasted probably 5-6 litres of fuel liao.......

Luckily battery can still start....

Still not used to keyless entry yet !!!

Hi, I experienced the same engine problem like u..
Every start of the engine is like a loud roar.. I highlighted the prob to my SE too, and their answer is the same as urs.. Another prob I encountered is the aircon. Every start of the engine, the aircon seem to give out a smell. Told my SE about it, he said maybe it's bcos it's a new car..

naqshband73;746432 said:
Just collected my ride on Friday.

Today while trying to start moving at a traffic light stop, the car just refused to move.

Then there is this drivetrain error on the screen warning that car can only move very slow.

Struggle at 30-40+ km/h till home and shocked to find that cannot engage Reverse gear. Thus got to park head on. Called th SE who in turn arranged for towing.

But when I restart engine again all errors are gone. Car drives normally now!

Anyway will send in to PML tomorrow.

Also since day 1 the brakes when heated produce an irritating loud hi pitch screeching that my wife can hear few blocks away. SE told me it is normal which I sincerely doubt so.

Any kind soul here has experience like this?

Hi, I did experienced the same engine problem like urs...
Every start of the engine seem like a loud roar.. Which I highlighted to my SE too..
But well.. My answer is just the same as urs..
I guess it's an "official" answer to we buyers...

Thank you,

Update:

Sent in the car this morning to PML.

Told have to leave car there so gave me 2 taxi vouchers.

Called me just now to say brakes has obvious problems which they are trying to rectify now.

But the drive train issue is more complicated so they need 2 to 3 days more to diagnose and solve.

Asked them for a replacement car and they said request is pending.....KNS!!!

Will call me again to confirm.

Brand new car and kena so many major issues......how????

Update:

SA called yesterday saying brakes are serviced already.

But they still cannot locate the Drive Train error I encountered. No error log as it is not a permanent error......KNS.

He said they will upgrade the SW of the car to the latest version and test drive again.

Will be able to collect car by today.....

BTW my replacement is a Ford Mondeo from Hertz as PML has no more BMW replacement cars....

I suspect we 1 series owners may be not good enough for them to give us a BMW replacement....:roll:

Naqshband73, sad to hear of your experience.
Hope the issues are resolved and rectified satisfactorily.

So far, my 116i has no major issue after 3mths, just the driver's door has some rattling when go over humps,
Yet to send in to pml for check.

Tire pressures are well and maintained at 220/230.

mindtheshark;748207 said:
After a year with the strawberry, I have decided to let it go...
How much u r looking for? OMV & COE pls.

Update:

SA called at 1430hrs saying car is still not ready to be returned to me.

He said it is beyond his control as the Technical Dept is handling it.

Hopefully can get it tmr.......

He also said they replaced some speed sensors thingy and did some other SW stuff.....need to be test driven by few more pple before releasing to me.....

Hope all these are Blessings in Disguise.

naqshband73;748301 said:
Update:

SA called at 1430hrs saying car is still not ready to be returned to me.

He said it is beyond his control as the Technical Dept is handling it.

Hopefully can get it tmr.......

He also said they replaced some speed sensors thingy and did some other SW stuff.....need to be test driven by few more pple before releasing to me.....

Hope all these are Blessings in Disguise.

This sucks man. Imagine a brand new car going into the workshop the moment it goes onto the road and breaks down. Hope it works out for you after they fixed it.

davidtch;748288 said:
How much u r looking for? OMV & COE pls.

BMW Strawberry
OMV: $45,842.00
COE: $18,854.00
Registration Date: 21st April 2008
Mileage: 55k km currently

Maybe you would like to PM me an offer and then we could start discussing.

Thank you for the interest. :)

naqshband73;746919 said:
Update:

Sent in the car this morning to PML.

Told have to leave car there so gave me 2 taxi vouchers.

Called me just now to say brakes has obvious problems which they are trying to rectify now.

But the drive train issue is more complicated so they need 2 to 3 days more to diagnose and solve.

Asked them for a replacement car and they said request is pending.....KNS!!!

Will call me again to confirm.

Brand new car and kena so many major issues......how????

Not acceptable at all. In a respectful but forcibly assertive manner, ask for explanation and compensation. Do this via your sales man but if that doesn't get you anywhere, you have a great case to bring to higher management. Remember your documentation.

Your sales man earned your commission is supposed to solve your problems and more. PML also have a pretty big margin on this little car.

All the best.

Family;748630 said:
Not acceptable at all. In a respectful but forcibly assertive manner, ask for explanation and compensation. Do this via your sales man but if that doesn't get you anywhere, you have a great case to bring to higher management. Remember your documentation.

Your sales man earned your commission is supposed to solve your problems and more. PML also have a pretty big margin on this little car.

All the best.

Hi,

Thank you for the concern.

I wrote an email to my sales guy and asked him to forward to his director of sales.

I am awaiting their reply.

Update:

Collected my ride back today at 1730hrs. Same time as last week but this time collected from workshop instead of show room :(.

SA showed me a long list of stuff they did but mostly diagnostics and tests and SW reset.......

Nothing was replaced but they have driven the car for abt 100+ km. This is to reset the adaptive transmission thingy......accoring to the SA.

He said it was a SW bug that caused the drive train error. So I aksed him what abt those who already own the 116i, is there a possibility that the bug will hit them too? He evaded my question.....

He also said they upgraded my 'Firmware' to the lastest so the bug shld be gone......

Hopefully my ride is ok now......

BTW still no reply from the Sales Director abt my complain......

naqshband73;749690 said:
Update:

Collected my ride back today at 1730hrs. Same time as last week but this time collected from workshop instead of show room :(.

SA showed me a long list of stuff they did but mostly diagnostics and tests and SW reset.......

Nothing was replaced but they have driven the car for abt 100+ km. This is to reset the adaptive transmission thingy......accoring to the SA.

He said it was a SW bug that caused the drive train error. So I aksed him what abt those who already own the 116i, is there a possibility that the bug will hit them too? He evaded my question.....

He also said they upgraded my 'Firmware' to the lastest so the bug shld be gone......

Hopefully my ride is ok now......

BTW still no reply from the Sales Director abt my complain......

Bullshit 1 : Needing to drive 100+ km to reset transmission. There's nothing to adapt. It adapts to you, not PML cowboys.

Bullshit 2 : This is not like a Software Update kind of thing.

Whether the problem goes away or not, assert your right for explanation on documentation. Now, add in question on why 100+ km is required for the test-drive. That's a lot of mileage covered for no good reasons.

If you hear nothing from your sales man's manager, talk to the manager's manager. You deserve compensation.

Good night.

Hi all,

Wondering what are your fuel consumption like so far for the 116i?

Seems like mine is no way near the 5.8L/100km they claim......

Update:

Finally got a reply from PML via a posted letter.

The letter is from some Senior Customer Relations Manager. It just apologise for the inconvenience etc......

It says the service department will handle any further issues and that's it.

End of story for them.

Sian.....

naqshband73;751179 said:
Update:

Finally got a reply from PML via a posted letter.

The letter is from some Senior Customer Relations Manager. It just apologise for the inconvenience etc......

It says the service department will handle any further issues and that's it.

End of story for them.

Sian.....

Bro, really feel your pain. Like what bro Family said, I wouldn't take this lying down - and I'd escalate this as high as I can. Even if they can't give you a brand new car, they should at least compensate you for the horrible buying experience & the time/inconvenience/hassle that has occured.

Family;749701 said:
Bullshit 1 : Needing to drive 100+ km to reset transmission. There's nothing to adapt. It adapts to you, not PML cowboys.

Bullshit 2 : This is not like a Software Update kind of thing.

Whether the problem goes away or not, assert your right for explanation on documentation. Now, add in question on why 100+ km is required for the test-drive. That's a lot of mileage covered for no good reasons.

If you hear nothing from your sales man's manager, talk to the manager's manager. You deserve compensation.

Good night.

Our F20 has been fine so far but I share your pain. This is not the end. Those CRM "managers" are totally useless. They do nothing more than cut-and-paste and re-direct emails.

Ask them, in addition to your earlier email, why the need for 100 km? Ask them, in writing, that since your sales man says "firmware updated", an assurance that the problems will not recur.

Email your response to your sales man's manager. At the same time, on a busy day at PML, bring a printed letter along and say you want to give to GM or whatever title they give themselves.

Say it loud, respectfully and clearly so that all those prospects can listen. They will, human tendencies.

You spent your hard-earned money on a BMW and you deserve better.

Do this, let us know the response, and we take the next step.

Keep calm, be firm. You will get what you deserve.

Good night.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7clubcomde

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back