BMW 325i vs 523i

mrericlee

Hi Guys,

Considering the 2.... which would you pick? The pricing are close enough for me to assume it's the same.

Only me and my wife will be using it and we've got no kids at the moment. I also don't have to ferry customers or bosses.

It's kinda hard cos the 5er looks more higher status, but yet I'd like a more powerful engine... Just wanted to get inputs from you guys.... in your perspective, which would you pick and why?

Regards,
Eric Lee

Re: BMW 325i vs 523i

if i were you, i wld pick the 325. and better still the E92. i would assume you are young and in that case, i suppose the sportier 3 would suit you better than the 5

You and your wife and no kids?

Then take the 3-series 323 at least. Why do you need the 5 at all? The new E9X chassis is tighter, lighter and more capable than the 5-.

You may even want to consider the coupes, which arguably has a nicer design (though I LOVE the say the sedan looks, esp in white)

That the 5-series gives more status - this one no comment. I cannot understand why one would want to be accorded status according to the car they drive. If people see you drive a VIOS do you think that they will look at you with disdain? If they do and if their impression of you is BS, then screw their opinion, you don't need their `good opinion' of you .... or do you?

Me the 523iA unless top up for the 325iC or 325i Cab.

The improved 523iA with 190bhp is still much popular than the E series in term of price/power therefore assuming better re-sale value in it's Class.

The majority Singapore car-buyers' 523iA choice cannot be wrong.

I just turned 31... I think old liao.... but others don't think so. Hahaha...

I kinda agree with you guys. A 523i a bit over the top. Maybe when I am 35 and above. My heart is closer to the 325i but many people tell me since same price range, why not get the bigger car!

E92? Coupe is it? It's 30K more for the highline version (which I believe has the same equipment list as the 325i). That's a lot.

As for the Coupe basic, the price jump is another 10K right? But I lose the Navigation system. That's actually quite a good suggestion. My wife hates the gauges already and she dun like the E90 tail lights... she says 5er rear tail lights got eyebrows looks nicer. Maybe I can convince her to top up 10K for the Coupe.

Woman are all about aesthetics.

hmmm, 31 u say old...then many in this forum must be very young to be driving the 3er hahaha.

You know I'm not rude, but .... If you wife talk so much as her to buy and finance the car lah.

My heart is closer to the 325i but many people tell me since same price range, why not get the bigger car!

Because:
1) Big car heavy, use more resources to make, more greenhouse emissions - good reason for tree hugger wives.
2) Big car make you look like unker - both popular with wives and young looking husbands
3) Big car go to work, if not towkay, kenna `envy' issue - utterly stupid reason, but most GLC have this issue anyway

You really might not need the 325 if your lust for power is not great. Since you are already considering a heavy car with smaller engine (523) I think you are not really lustful for power. Get the 323 instead. The 323 instead of 320 simply because the 6-cylinder engine, ANY 6-cyl engine, sounds and feels better than a 4-cylinder engine. Once you owned a 6-cyl engine you will never wanna go back to 4. Even Civic Type R cannot tempt you.

well said centurion

centurion;274908 said:
You know I'm not rude, but .... If you wife talk so much as her to buy and finance the car lah.

Not possible.... cos, she say, stick with the JDM Accord. If I wanna change car, my own problem.

centurion;274908 said:
You really might not need the 325 if your lust for power is not great. Since you are already considering a heavy car with smaller engine (523) I think you are not really lustful for power.

I do lust for "some" power.... not EVO/WRX kind but just a tad more..... cos if I had bought a Euro R (220BHP) instead of a regular JDM Accord, I probably won't change car.

I love the way my JDM Accord looks... but the 2.0L VTEC engine just doesn't cut it.

THe engine on 523i (LCI) and 325i is exactly the same i.e. N52N ,so it is not a smaller engine ,its just tuned differently.

The 523 is about 100kg heavier than the 325.

mrericlee;274921 said:
I do lust for "some" power.... not EVO/WRX kind but just a tad more..... cos if I had bought a Euro R (220BHP) instead of a regular JDM Accord, I probably won't change car.

I love the way my JDM Accord looks... but the 2.0L VTEC engine just doesn't cut it.
aiyo, wanna switch from JDM accord. Already quite nice but soft handling, now you spend more buy BMW also quite soft one ... and you never gonna get the benefit of RWD if you dun drive real aggressive anyway.

If you want more power, but you don't need any stupid status you get from driving a `prestige car, PLEASE lar... don't get contis with overpriced power over rice with right priced power. Rice is best value for money when it comes to power. Get a nice interior one - that's the only problem with ricers.

Suggested: Evo X - good interior, nice new tech inside, BIG, 4WD safe, reputedly handling much better than E9X, nice exterior. And not expensive. Yes it's not a 6 cylinder, but damnit, you're not complaining about lack of refinement, but a lack of power.

desertfox65;274942 said:
THe engine on 523i (LCI) and 325i is exactly the same i.e. N52N ,so it is not a smaller engine ,its just tuned differently.

The 523 is about 100kg heavier than the 325.

Some hardware differences as well, the exact same motor would be from the 525i.

In terms of power ratio and to address the weight penalty, to get an equivalent ride to 325 in the 5 series, would be the 530i (LCI)...272hp/315nm sweet!!!

if you are in the early 30s, a 5 is an overkill... the 325 would be the best balance for power and image. try to skipped the 323 (same amt of road tax, but 40hp less is hard to stomach)

centurion;274954 said:
aiyo, wanna switch from JDM accord. Already quite nice but soft handling, now you spend more buy BMW also quite soft one ... and you never gonna get the benefit of RWD if you dun drive real aggressive anyway.

If you want more power, but you don't need any stupid status you get from driving a `prestige car, PLEASE lar... don't get contis with overpriced power over rice with right priced power. Rice is best value for money when it comes to power. Get a nice interior one - that's the only problem with ricers.

Suggested: Evo X - good interior, nice new tech inside, BIG, 4WD safe, reputedly handling much better than E9X, nice exterior. And not expensive. Yes it's not a 6 cylinder, but damnit, you're not complaining about lack of refinement, but a lack of power.

The best of both world's always comes with a price. An EVO/WRX is not suitable for work image.... bosses likes people who appears mature yet not over their top.

I am not complaining... I am just struggling with the right choice.

If not mistaken, 325 price shd be lower than 523. that price difference enough to buy u a bodykit and upgrade to a reasonable rim.

If you are perceiving status, then no doubt, it will be 523, not to say the 3 ser is in anyway inferior.

For more thrilling ride, 325 will be a better choice,obviously as it come with 218 horses. You might wish to know the current 3 is nearly it mid term life span unless of coz you don mind the facelift which i reckon will be mid 08.

For best of both world, get the 530

HI Bros,

Just wanna say I appreciate all the comments coming in.

Yes, I have heard about the 08 face lift for E90. Probably will get the face lifted version.

Thanks,
Eric Lee

mrericlee;275023 said:
HI Bros,

Just wanna say I appreciate all the comments coming in.

Yes, I have heard about the 08 face lift for E90. Probably will get the face lifted version.

Thanks,
Eric Lee

yup, if you don mind waiting, shd wait for the facelift version since it's just a matter of months. You will love the new led light, corona ring and the sleek stick and most impt of all, the refresh look shd tahan you for another 3 year. gd luck.

Turbo;275026 said:
yup, if you don mind waiting, shd wait for the facelift version since it's just a matter of months. You will love the new led light, corona ring and the sleek stick and most impt of all, the refresh look shd tahan you for another 3 year. gd luck.

I saw some pics off the internet. Seems like a front bumber change... and rear lights where the trunk cover is has some changes. Hope it looks good!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back