BMW F15 X5 first impressions

Re: BMW F15 X5 first impressions

I will do a write up when I go test drive the Aventador...

detach8;1071161 said:
I just drove past, so I decided to turn into VW, then Volvo, then PML. Your SE said she was texting you... before I called for her. YOU BUYING LIAO!?!?! U alr test drive until song song!

My eyes are blurred... for a moment I read "she was sexting you............ test drive until song song!"

Pls do. I love the car. Looks damn bad ass...

But make sure yr arm is long enough to pull the door down when u are seated at the driver seat :)

MW;1071169 said:
I will do a write up when I go test drive the Aventador...

MTechnic;1071230 said:
Pls do. I love the car. Looks damn bad ass...

But make sure yr arm is long enough to pull the door down when u are seated at the driver seat :)

Peepur who drive Aventadors don't need long arms because their swinging dicks will ensure the valet/butler/serf help them close the door, all the time, every time. ATAS!!!

wobbles;1071237 said:
Peepur who drive Aventadors don't need long arms because their swinging dicks will ensure the valet/butler/serf help them close the door, all the time, every time. ATAS!!!

Npnt... **yawn**

Arm or dick? Be specific leh...I need to shave 1st one ok. Arm then no need

Great write up of the new X5. Well it was actually more than just abt X5. Good sense of humour to boot ala Neil Humphrey which I do like!! Back to the car. I am driving an X5 right now ( xdrive 3.5i). I like the performance of the car but the biggest bugbear is its rather unsettled ride esp when the road conditions are rough ala some of SG roads like now esp in and around the city areas where I travel most. I find the car fun for driver but back passengers do have a rather disconcerting ride and the overall car quality ( vibration, shudders are pretty pronounced). In fact I changed to a nonflat tyres to address the rough and shuddering ride esp over rougher surfaces) but it did not improve much I must admit. Anyhow in your write up you did not quite elaborate on these aspect of the ride quality. I think yr test drive route seems a bit special (!) and hence you probably had a good opportunity to feel how the car response a bit more over a rather varied route. I did read that BMW US try to address some of the shortcomings I mentioned. Wld you be kind enough to elaborate a bit more on the ride bit as I am rather keen to see how you feel about it. Was reluctant to try the new car as from the experience that I had so far I don't have plan to replace my car with another X5 esp so as well when I read that the new car in quite a few substance is pretty much the old car except with the improvements that you detailed pretty well in your write up. Internal setup is much improved (seats and material) Note that I do accept that SUV ride are not generally better than saloon but the current X5 is just a little too disconcerting for me. I have driven over the same rough roads I mentioned above in my better half BMW saloon and the ride was much better. Appreciate your input Sir! Thanks and cheers

Hi there JF,

Thanks for the kind words about the write up. I take it you were referring to the old E70 X5 xDrive 35i, when you said the suspension was somewhat unsettled? That was, in truth, my personal experience as well, when we had the use of an E70 X5 xDrive 35i (damn BMW & their ridiculouslyextendedlyfreakishlylong car nomenclatures!) by way of an extended 72 hour "test drive", courtesy of the previous version of PML's 7PP+ program.

The new F15 felt a lot more planted on the roads, but then again, that was from a driver's perspective. When my wife took over the wheel and I moved to the 2nd row (and this was while we were coming down from Kent Ridge), I didn't feel the need to reach for the air-sickness bag.

To be fair, there was an unmistakable whiff of body roll - but, not an overpowering pong of such. Then again, physics (and this is with the standard Air suspension "Comfort" set up in the base models xDrive 30d & xDrive 35i variants) can only do so much when it comes to resisting 2500kg or thereabouts worth of mass. Up the ante a little, and opt for an xDrive50i, then you get both Comfort and Dynamic adaptive suspensions with (they promised) active anti roll technology. Beats me what that'll do to the ride, because I didn't get a chance to test drive the 50i (wasn't in the market for one).

So, the long and short of it is:

(a) Yes, it rides better and feels more planted than the old E70 X5
(b) Yes, you can still feel the car's heft through sharp corners, despite rear air suspensions
(c) No, there wasn't any shudder or vibrations felt at normal driving/cruising (although, honestly, this is a brand new test drive car, so I can't vouch for the build quality in time to come)

I'm still not buying it though ... to be honest, I'm waiting for the new XC90 to come out, before I make a decision to part with my money. Yes, you may bring out the knives now.

Volvo is for life. Wottodo. Stuck wif it. Haha.

Meek;1075089 said:
Volvo is for life. Wottodo. Stuck wif it. Haha.

Test driven volvo cars and the only letdown was their gearbox which is sluggish similar to those new dual clutch found at new benz. Volvo has the most comfy seats for long haul.

Currently, 8sp zf gearbox is the best. As quick as audi dsg but without the juddering.

ccc;1075092 said:
Test driven volvo cars and the only letdown was their gearbox which is sluggish similar to those new dual clutch found at new benz. Volvo has the most comfy seats for long haul.

Currently, 8sp zf gearbox is the best. As quick as audi dsg but without the juddering.

Actually, I agree with you - the 3rd row seats in the current XC90 Volvo are way more comfortable than the X5's. The only let down was the sluggish gearbox & the lack of "pull" from the 2.5L engine. Of course, there's far fewer gadgetry whiz-bang in the Volvo, as compared to the X5, but the new Xc90 might have something to say about that :).

wobbles;1075101 said:
Actually, I agree with you - the 3rd row seats in the current XC90 Volvo are way more comfortable than the X5's. The only let down was the sluggish gearbox & the lack of "pull" from the 2.5L engine. Of course, there's far fewer gadgetry whiz-bang in the Volvo, as compared to the X5, but the new Xc90 might have something to say about that :).

Oh ya forget to mention that bmw still has the best steering feel.

For 7 seater suv, perhaps comfy should be top on the list.

Buy another zippy coupe like m235 to satisfy the young spirited heart. Hehe

Hi Wobbles! Thanks for your feedbacks. Appreciate it. Maybe I might just go down and give it a try when I can find the time!. Seen some trailers of the new XC90. If they keep most of what was the "concept car" it will look great. Maybe a good point to wait a little before I go back to a saloon. Cheers.

Deleted - dupe post (what's wrong here?)

Last edited by a moderator:

I got a chance to take a short spin in the X5 xDrive 35i. Even with the award winning 35i engine it does feel sluggish off the line and I would think the diesel engines would complement the heavy X5 w/xDrive 4WD better, not forgetting the improved fuel economy.

It is a big, fat, heavy and wallowy car and not meant to be a sports car in any way, but you still want it to jump off the start line with ease so that blue sonata taxi does not cut in front of you and slow down after that. Afterall, in Singapore it's not 0-100 that matters, it's 0-traffic light.

If you're going to be driving your X5 often/daily and do not intend to drive it up north in the near term, go test drive a 30d (3L I6 Turbo Diesel) and report back. I have not had a chance to try the diesels yet but reckon it would be a good drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quick update. After hemming and hawing, and waiting for the COE to nose-dive (to no avail), I finally pulled the trigger last week and booked my X5 xDrive35i. Was this close to signing for the 30d, but running out of fuel halfway between Singapore and Penang put me off somewhat.

The main purpose of this big fat wafting barge is for long drives up north with the whole kampung gang stuffed into the 7 seats. Wouldn't wanna worry about Euro dunno what number diesel fuel clogging up the particulate filters up in Malaysia! The BMW Stealership did a good job in frightening me into signing for the petrol version.

Will put some photos up when the car is in next week. Can't wait!

Of course, now that I've finally signed for the X5, the COE will plunge to $15,000 @ the next bidding, KNNCCB Garhmen :lol2:

Congrats wobbles! The F15 X5 is a nice cruiser I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewclair
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back