BMW hit 135mph after throttle cable jammed

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Freaky news!

=============================

IT WAS a BMW with a top speed of 135mph, but the owner Kevin Nicolle never knew quite how fast that was until last Sunday, shortly after he discovered that his accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor.

In the 30 minutes that followed, Mr Nicolle sped through three counties, outran a fleet of police cars and finally careened on to a roundabout, shouting to a policewoman operator to call an ambulance because "I ain't surviving this."

Disaster struck as Mr Nicolle (25), was driving his pride and joy through the North Yorkshire dales along the A1, on his way home to Portsmouth in south west England. As he passed the village of Thirsk, he took his foot off the accelerator - but the car speeded up.

"The pedal was stuck to the floor," he said.

http://www.unison.ie/worldnews/stories.php3?ca=27&si=1579152

Re: BMW hit 135mph after throttle cable jammed

"Freaky", is an understatement...

It just goes to show, that man's monster creations do, on occassions, bite back...

next time anyone is caught speeding here, refer the police to this thread.... afterall the new bmws are known for their software bugs... heheheh

Can't she like stamp on the brakes, pull handbrake or plug the key?

Exactly! Just turn off the ignition and everything will be fine.

If I am not wrong they did not mentioned which model right?

Why can't turn off ignition? anyone tried to turn off the ignition while on the accelerator?

bro, y not u try den share it wit us...
hehehehe..

I have switched off the ignition while the car is running to test the brakes before. It can be done but you risk locking up the steering wheel. When the engine is not running you don't have power steering and brake pumps.

Err... drive straight to the Speedway Oval track and goes round and round until he ran out of fuel would be another option ...me thinkz.

For a time the brakes held the 125 horsepower engine to 70mph. The policewoman on the end of the line said that they would attempt a "rolling stop": boxing in the car with police vehicles to gradually slow it down.

It was too late. The brakes began to burn out and the car started going faster and faster.

Brakes gone.... ignition turning off...hmm..maybe it didn;t werk? maybe it was one of those new keyless things? i dunno

I tried b4 on an E90 with the start-stop button, you hold on to it and the car will turn off even when you are moving.

Turning off the ignition is both idiotic and disastrous !! This would switch off the hydraulics for the steering !! How are you gonna steer the car to safety ? Should try engine braking first if distance on the road allows. Then gradually slow down and shift to neautral. If not, try to graze against the side railings to slow down the vehicle..........

i think she should have forced the downshift 1st....

yes, the gearbox will blow.... but then again, life is more precious....

hitting or grazing anything at speeds of 135mph is insane...... one might never survive it.

eddie said:
i think she should have forced the downshift 1st....

yes, the gearbox will blow.... but then again, life is more precious....

hitting or grazing anything at speeds of 135mph is insane...... one might never survive it.

Not to worry dude, if the car crashes, she will be cocooned with airbags all around her.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868co
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back