BMW losing ground?? ...

Tanzy

Legendary 10 Years
Depends on what magazine and review you read. Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame is a vehement BMW hater, drives a SL55, but thinks that the Z4 is a better car than the new SLK and he really dislikes the Z4.

Those cars ranked above the BMW are all more comfortable than it. All built better than the BMW, except the Benz. Probably more practical too since they have bigger cabin space too, especially the FWD cars.

Other than the dynamics of the drive for a BMW, there really isn't anything else. If I really want a good drive, I'll buy a more hardcore JDM tin can. If I want comfort, then I'll get a Benz. BMW seems like a compromise. Audi's Quattro system is edging dangerously close to BMW's middle ground. It is built well, comfortable and getting better to drive.

As it is, I don't know if my next car will be a BMW or not even if I can afford it.

Tanzy,

Strong points you put up there...

Yup.. BMW tries to walk the balance between comfort and performance, which will continue to attract a loyal following. Of course, BMWs always look good no matter what you say. That sporty "zing" is omni-present.

But I agree Audi has upped the stakes... the A6 is really something.. But I have yet to drive a quattro though.

JDM tin can maybe furiously fast but comfort will not match a conti.

Merc are comfy but absolutely soul-less.

If you are tired of your Z4, do pass it over to me... heeheehee

SMYUEN,

Taking a local point of view, i.e. ridiculous car prices and 10 year life span, let's say I have money for a new V8 M3 and want a daily car that can be used for the track every month. Should I buy that new V8 M3 from PML or should I get an Audi 1.8T cab plus a JDM monster (e.g. Evo, WRX, RX8 or Integra). Then I can do all the body work and 19" rims on the Audi and keep the JDM stock externally but mod the hell out of the internals.

If I take the latter option, I get two cars, which might very well be cheaper to run and maintain than the single M3. I still get comfort and style yet have a blindingly quick machine too. What's more I can make the JDM a true track machine because I don't have to worry about daily street drivability.

SMYUEN said:
Tanzy,

Strong points you put up there...

Yup.. BMW tries to walk the balance between comfort and performance, which will continue to attract a loyal following. Of course, BMWs always look good no matter what you say. That sporty "zing" is omni-present.

But I agree Audi has upped the stakes... the A6 is really something.. But I have yet to drive a quattro though.

JDM tin can maybe furiously fast but comfort will not match a conti.

Merc are comfy but absolutely soul-less.

If you are tired of your Z4, do pass it over to me... heeheehee

i have that feeling also, audi A6 is a very nicey put together package.
after seeing our friend welbo's audi A4 cab in CH. it perform very well on the b-roads. i think just as much fun as our BMW.

taxied on his car once i would say the audi interior is a cut above BMW.

:wavey: :wavey:

cheers

Tanzy,

Yup you have a point. But an M3 is an M3.. its different. Similarly an audi will never have the aura of a BMW no matter what. Just like BMW will never have the princely and stately look of a merc.

I would just buy one good car that can be used for all occasions.

tbt,

You are right on the audi. Was very impressed with the interior of the A6.. Beats the E60 anytime.. but the driving position still a bit too sedate for me. Rear legroom is enormous! Impressive..

But how? Are we going to dump BMW?

SMYUEN said:
But how? Are we going to dump BMW?

i also don't know, but :thinking:

bt

Personally I have owned a B5 Passat and have sat in the new B5.5 comparitively i think it is a matter of taste. The VAG cars tend to go for the "less loud" concept which has that classiness. An item that should go well with a BM owner.

I have tried 3s, 4s, V6s and once a V8. Truth be told I still think the straight 6 rules in terms of refinement. Although the V8 was really awesome. (the pull of the engine kept distracting me from the refinement so quite biased)

When it all comes to the crunch, as long as you are happy and not losing too much due to depreciation, stick with your ride. In a tax unfriendly Singapore that values what you arrive in rather than you as a person, the BM still has the final punch......

I have tried the old A6 Quattro 2.4, 1.8T and A4 2.0.

The Quattro was good but the old A6 ride was lousy. The E60 ride though a bit bumpy is still much better than the old A6 and the A4. Drive-wise? E60 beat them hands down.

Engine-wise? The A6 2.4 is really no match for the E60 straight 6 2.2; though both are a bit under powered the straight 6 sounds so much better and sweeter.

Interior-wise A6 is slightly better. They are good at making it look expensive. Take a look at the older batch of A4, and you can see how easily the switches can be scratched and it would be ugly after that.

Merc? Sorry never been a fan ...

When the E90 comes out, it will top the list....take my word for it.. :wavey:

TripleM,

Yeah bro.... I think so too... I am beginning to like its looks... can wait for the coupe/cabrio!!

Btw, nice butt you got there!!!

:thumbsup:

rex7_vtec said:
Well, nothing stays on top forever right?

Exactly, wot goes up must come down (at some point....)

SMYUEN,

Btw, nice butt you got there!!!

Thanks bro and it's not photshopped except the no plate hehe

TripleM,

My M3 itch is getting worse by the limit. I need help....

:verysad:

rex7_vtec said:
Well, nothing stays on top forever right?

True... I hope the E90 will kick their butts again..

Hmm..so much on butts today.. I must be sleep deprived....

Snail_Mobile,

Yeah... I also hope so.. but where to find $$$$?

Radon39 said:
Doc,

u on proctoscope duty issit??? :laughlik: :laughlik:

Oi... me small fry where got do procto-what-scope?

I am just a pair of hands trying to keep people alive.

:)

Dec2004 Motoring Cover:

New 3 Series
Forget about the current model - we tell you why you should wait for next year's most important BMW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
speedvay
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back