BMW PML ... part II, is this the begining of a nightmare?

GFC-Boss

Let see .... what is your opinion here.

Details of story in

VOLVOSG :: View topic - BMW & PML .... part II .... begining of a nightmare?

Briefly:
..... when I picked my car at 11.30am, guess what? The “Servotronic Failure” sign lighted up. The steering was tight, not entirely without power steer but tighter than usual. I checked the OBC, it says to contact service centre immediately. I turned off the engine and re-start, same thing happened. I called my SC, he quickly arranged for a Service Consultant to attend to me. As the car can still be driven, he made arrangement for me to send the car to Alexandra as Dunearn is not equipped to solve the problem. Earliest appointment next day 8.40am, Wednesday. I drove back picked my kids and went shopping. When I got back to my parked car 4 hours later at the shopping centre, the ‘Servotronic Failure’ sign has disappeared. Car is back to normal. Oh my god !!! …I was praying that this is NOT going to be a nightmare. To me, when something goes off by itself it is more serious than if it remains as a fault. I called my SC, he has arranged for a Senior Service Consultant to look at it ASAP. I read that as tomorrow 8.40am.

Wednesday, I drove to Alex. Registered with the receptionist, all she need was to scan my key. Yes, the new BMW key as all the details of the car. All she need is to slot the key into the key reader. Pretty high tech here. She gave me a number. Waited 3 minutes and it was my turn, SSC came and immediately auntie get auntie to serve me coffee. He then called Dunearn to get more details of my car’s fault. I was really unhappy as my car is only 4 days old with less than 200km on the clock when this happened. He then told me they need to diagnose the problem and it will take a while. He arranged for a taxi for my trip home but I wanted to have breakfast at IKEA, so they gave me 2 taxi vouchers. One for home and one to be back to PML. I took my breakfast and called for the taxi, it’s a Mercedes Presido. I was at least PML has class. At home while doing my office e-mailing, I got a called at 2.30pm. Apparently, the problem cannot be solved and they are going to replace the entire mother board. Wow! This is really serious for a 250km car and will take a while more to re-program. Another problem, to re-program they had to test and wind down the window as well. Hence, my recently done window tinting might be destroyed …^%^%$&$%..... KNS! My SC was quick to call me, he said don’t worry of such things. PML will get everything fixed at their cost. Sounds reasonable. But I thought, what the hell am I getting into now? Bought a new BMW and leave miserably ‘again’. I then decided to call Mr. Rock again. He wasn’t in and I left a message with the secretary.

At 4.30pm, my SC sms-ed the car is ready. Tested by technician and everything is OK (apparently it was subsequently tested by the Workshop manager as well). I called the cab, and Presido appeared. 5 minutes into the journey, Simon Rock called. We spoke on the security guard matter and he gave me the assurance that Sime Darby is now working on it. Then I asked him, “….as the head of BMW representative can you honestly tell me that I’m not falling for another problematic BMW?....”. Hmm…. he did his homework, he knew my car is in the workshop. His exact words, “….I’m going to be honest, I won’t say BMW is trouble free …… but the E60 523iA is a better model and problems have ironed out”. Honest indeed. He added, “… that is why we have the new comprehensive warranty and after sales”. But he believes, mine could be PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) problem. Something to do with local human work force again, damm! I though their security guard is bad enough. Then he said my car is ready but he wants to give me an added assurance, he will get his top German engineer to look into my car. Similar to SM, PML now has an in-house German engineer. As the engineer is on a different assignment, he will see my car tomorrow. Foreign talent is better than the local talent here? Anyway, Simon arranged with his Customer Relation Manager to send me a 523i to my home while I wait for mine to be tested. However, since I’m already on my way to PML I told him I will pick up the replacement 523i. Arrived and I was greeted by the receptionist, SCC and CRM both waiting for me. Got me a 2,234km new 523i, washed and vacuumed.

Re: BMW PML ... part II, is this the begining of a nightmare?

but how come you got a 2243km car which is brand new??? and ur one is only 250km???
Am i wrong or is there somethign inbtw the sentences?

... meant to be sarcastic.

.... a 2,234km 'new' replacement car while mine is 250km. PML is delivering my car in hour's time to my place while picking up their 2,234km 'new' car ....

Good luck. Hope the problem has been ironed out. It sucks especially when it's got something to do with the electronics.

GFC-Boss.. think we met in the PML feedback session at back in 2002 when Simon just came on board and the lunch he hosted right after that. After the e46 320i first year nightmare for the 3 years i had I with it I am still with them and i have had the e60 for 3 years now. Some issues here and there but mostly fixable. Pretty happy so far!
Best wishes with the e60! Since Simon is on your case.. you should be fine!

hi GFC, sorry to hear your plight but i suppose since Simon's on it, it will be back perfect pretty soon...just wondering how you managed to get those taxi vouchers? is it part of the enhanced PML experience or is it just that you drive a higher end beemer?

Good luck Alvin! And welcome back to the BMW fold... (after sowing your seeds at MB and Volvo.SG, heh!) ;)

gadgets;160062 said:
hi GFC, sorry to hear your plight but i suppose since Simon's on it, it will be back perfect pretty soon...just wondering how you managed to get those taxi vouchers? is it part of the enhanced PML experience or is it just that you drive a higher end beemer?

Taxi vouchers? ... not too sure. But I do hear the SCSA mentioned to the receptionist something like ... "....... new car warranty".

Continuation ….

At 1pm, my SC informed me my car is ready. Then SCRM (Senior Customer Relation Manager) called to inform that Corsten Simon has tested the car, everything is fine. It’s only a small problem with the programming and hence, for precaution reasons PML decided to change the mother board. My car will be cleaned and polished and will be delivered to my office. Unfortunately, my mobile battery went kaput. I called back to inform them it’s better that I pick the car at PML as I will be moving from places to places for meetings and can’t be contacted.

I arrived PML Alexandra at 3.45pm. Parked the maroon 523i and glanced at my silver grey 523i. Spoke to SCSA (Senior Customer Service Advisor), the person handling my issue. Within minutes, came SCRM and he introduced WM (Workshop Manager). The WM is very new, just came on board less than a month from Porsche (and prior to that Opel). My car is all ready, smooth and shining. I checked the entire car, started the engine, check the OBC etc.

I then met Simon for a chat. We spoke on the security guard issue, apparently a ‘big plan’ was made in the morning on this. I cannot reveal what had been plan but it was comforting to know that Simon took the issue seriously and implemented changes. He thanked me for the feedback. We then spoke on market shares, promotions and marketing strategy. I congratulated him on the ‘new’ after sales service as I find it a vast improvement from year 2002 when he just came on board. He mentioned that he spent a lot of money to improve their service, particularly after sales, including employing a new heavy weight from Lexus. This gentleman has a room next to Simon. From the body language, it looks like PML has change their emphasis quite a bit since the departure of Mark Singleton. We then touched on the E60 and again he mentioned that my is a one-off issue where they could have pick it up during the PDI. I told him the E60 handles very well for its size, and he offered to let me have the 530i for a night. I gently declined the offer as I know myself too well, I don’t want to have sleepless night after test driving it. I told him I will call him in 18 months time. He presented a gift to me and walked me to my car.

I took the car for a spin despite my heavy schedule ( I guess I really want to put this behind my back ), went to East Coast then West Coast. While I was behind the wheel, I felt that this whole incident could be a blessing in disguise as I actually learnt a few new tricks from Simon. The after sales service they provided is simply excellent. I thought they might target it at me or perhaps because I bought a 5 series or perhaps it’s my position in my organization but then I do I see a lot of happy customers being served while waiting for their BMW. At the end of it we know all great products do fail, it is how the situation is handled and how sincere we are to our customers. It was great to share and exchange views with Simon and I really appreciate it.

For now, cars perform well …… I love my 2 tone interior Ashburn and black … the comfy seats, driving position, near silence interior, silence silky smooth engine … and the handling.

P/S Before this incident, to me, the greatest after sales and service is SM. SM is far ahead of PML, C&C, etc. However, looks like others are catching real fast, especially if the organizations have deep pocket.

congrats GFC!

searched PML's website and found this "What are the benefits of BMW Mobile Service?" i suppose this was what it meant. The PML BMW website

but importantly, lets hope Simon and that Lexus guy maintains this feat; i.e. gifts/ personal attention/ and what not to all impartially, be it to a small fly/ big fly, one with a small car/ big car, etc. at the end of the day, its still our hard earned money spent on an ultimate driving machine, regardless of its model

Car is performing beautifully ! ... no probs since.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redtrumpet

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back