BMW Vs S40 T5

Mav

If looking at badge, BMW.

If looking at badge n performance, S40 T5.

If looking at performance and PRICE (ie. not badge), Subaru Legacy GT....

:inlove:

Which bummer are you looking at? Oops I mean bimmer :thumbsup:

Not that impressed with T5. Tested it today and found it lacking in many areas. Sound insulation and etc

S40 has serious shortage of interior storage space... but looks good with the right colour and body kit :) The T5 leaves 320i in the dust in a straight line...

I agree with Mav, if not looking for badge, take a look at the Legacy GT. A very complete package (but not RWD nor NA).

Re: BMW Vs S40 T5

Turbo said:
Hi pals,

Given a choice, wat would you prefer, a bimmer or T5. kind of impressed with T5 performance :inlove:

Any comments ......brand,resale value,performance,look,status,image, etc etc.............

If you compare to T5 I presume you talking about the 3. Then 330i!
For the same performance you want to get out of a bimmer's NA engine you need to fork out more for higher cc engine than the T5 blown engine
for sure.

For brand: BMW
For resale: BMW
For performance: BMW but higher cc engine
For look: Depends on your taste, the current e46 already looking tired. wait the new 3 in march
For status: subjective, you can see bimmers everywhere nowadays on sg roads. remember those days when a 320i cost $200K, it was niche market!
For image: subjective and ditto

emiffy said:
S40 has serious shortage of interior storage space... but looks good with the right colour and body kit :) The T5 leaves 320i in the dust in a straight line...

I agree with Mav, if not looking for badge, take a look at the Legacy GT. A very complete package (but not RWD nor NA).

Not RWD but AWD.... Not NA but TC.... :inlove:

My family currently has a 5 series and a Subaru Legacy GT. When we were sourcing for the 2nd car, the 320i, T5, among other cars were all in our considerations.

Finally, we went for the LGT becos of many reasons. These includes:

1) Comfort,
2) Excellent driver feel,
3) Big bootspace
4) Big inerior space
5) Quietness of soundproofing,
6) Performance,
7) AWD,
8 ) Sound system,
9) Finishing,
10) Reliability,
11) Comfortable seats,
12) Lower road tax etc.

and of course a much LOWER PRICE!!!

8)

Re: BMW Vs S40 T5

zag said:
For look: Depends on your taste, the current e46 already looking tired. wait the new 3 in march

True... But it is a lot cheaper than the new model as PML is clearing stock....

;)

confirm....so much cheaper..

Ya me feel bimmer will have more + pt than T5 but speed wise T5 is superb, that i obvious i can see, look like still be handing onto a bimmer :)

Turbo said:
Ya me feel bimmer will have more + pt than T5 but speed wise T5 is superb, that i obvious i can see, look like still be handing onto a bimmer :)

Speed wise, personally, I think the LGT is better. One thing I noticed about the T5 is it is quite front heavy when cornering due to the FWD. Don't quite like the feel of it.

325i or 330i will be a better performance buy given the 3 series chasis.

8)

emiffy said:

True.... but singapore roads is not just staight lines. If you (a 320i driver) pick a T5 at the traffic light to do a drag-race-for-fun from tradffic-light to the next, it does not mean that T5 will definitely beat the 320i. RWD is far more superior than FWD hands-down at cornering / road bends. Moreover, there is a turbo lag to consider for the T5. :shoot:

it really depends on what u r comparing.

318 vs T5? almost same price. perfomance of coz T5 but....practicality, 318. in terms of fuel consumption, road tax etc.

T5 looks more like a good second car. when u already own a bmw 5 series? ;)

trogen said:
emiffy said:

True.... but singapore roads is not just staight lines. If you (a 320i driver) pick a T5 at the traffic light to do a drag-race-for-fun from tradffic-light to the next, it does not mean that T5 will definitely beat the 320i. RWD is far more superior than FWD hands-down at cornering / road bends. Moreover, there is a turbo lag to consider for the T5. :shoot:

In a straight line drag betwe T5 and 320i, I think it is a no brainer and the T5 will win hands down. 220bhp vs 170bhp.

On a track, the 320 will handle better but that is provided it can catch up with the T5 on the straight first and then overtake at the bend some more. Handling goes to 320i but power goes to T5. Assuming for the same $$$, I will take the T5 anyday. When the turbo comes in, u will SMILE and the turbo lag is not that much at all. But then, why would I want to buy a T5 when I can get the Legacy GT for a song ;)

Mav said:
we went for the LGT becos of many reasons. These includes:

1) Comfort,
2) Excellent driver feel,
3) Big bootspace
4) Big inerior space
5) Quietness of soundproofing,
6) Performance,
7) AWD,
8 ) Sound system,
9) Finishing,
10) Reliability,
11) Comfortable seats,
12) Lower road tax etc.

and of course a much LOWER PRICE!!! 8)

Bro, u forgot to mention sun-roof, shifting of gears from steering wheel, Momo steering wheel, carbon interior trim, twin-pipe? :thumbsup:

On a track, the 320 will handle better but that is provided it can catch up with the T5 on the straight first and then overtake at the bend some more. Handling goes to 320i but power goes to T5. Assuming for the same $$$, I will take the T5 anyday. When the turbo comes in, u will SMILE and the turbo lag is not that much at all. But then, why would I want to buy a T5 when I can get the Legacy GT for a song ;)[/quote]

legacy no image lei. and if dun modified very plain looking. how is the fuel consumption like?

Moreover, there is a turbo lag to consider for the T5

theres actually no noticeable lag with the T5 and the power is there right down from about 2k rpm.

i was close to getting the subaru GT, but ultimately, even though the GT feels more powerful and handles better, the T5 offers much more useable torque and i found it more fun for day to day driving.

for the price, the GT is definitely a bargain and has a lot to offer. but ultimately i went for the T5 because it had the better combination - refinement, build quality and performance. dont forget for the extra price you get all the little goodies - phone, cruise control, auto rainwipers, memory seats, steering controls etc, rear dimming mirrors etc that the GT doesnt have.

interior space is not so good on the T5 but that wasnt a major consideration for me. however rear legroom is not really that bad, its fairly good, but not if your about 6 ft as headroom is limited.

as for comparing the T5 to the beemer, i think you have to look at it from a price perspective. sure the T5 will lose out to the 330s, although in a straight line, it will probably be quite close, but dollar for dollar, its about the same as a new 318/ second hand 320 and for that your getting a lot for your money.

brand,image,. i think for these, BM has the best brand/image without a doubt. volvo had a good good name, subaru the last.
looks wise , i think they are all good looking cars in their own way. the subaru/volvo are definitely rarer sights on the road and perhaps as a result more eye catching.

resale im not sure. certainly on a new bm/ volvo you will be talking bigger depreciation than the subaru.

one other thing you may want to consider is after sales service. there are mixed reviews about all three. so far, i have no complaints about SM's service myself though . they do make an effort to take care of their customers.

mistraele said:
theres actually no noticeable lag with the T5 and the power is there right down from about 2k rpm.

any comment about the fuel consumption for the T5 ? since its turbo kicks in as low as 2K rpm, i believe that the fuel consumption could be relatively high even on day-to day driving mode.

as for comparing the T5 to the beemer, i think you have to look at it from a price perspective. sure the T5 will lose out to the 330s, although in a straight line, it will probably be quite close, but dollar for dollar, its about the same as a new 318/ second hand 320 and for that your getting a lot for your money.

You are right, T5 price range is closer to 318i and therefore i think roadtax, fuel consumption, insurance all play a big part when comparing the two. It will be performance vs image. if choose performance, then can consider RX8, Subaru WRX sti etc too. they are around that price range and good cars too.

is never ending. it really depends on ur need.
i guess a M3 will solve all the problems. brand/image/power/seats 4 all roll in one.

if you dont chiong, turbos actually improve the efficiency of your engine. your comsumption should go down.

whats the 0-100 and bhp of the t5?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
df999today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back