BMW X3 2018 (G01) - strange clunking noise at low speed

Tonyleejt

Hello everyone,

I'm Tony and I'm a first time BMW owner. Just collected the X3 about a month ago.

All was going well until about 1 week in, this strange clunking noise started materializing. It doesn't materialize all the time.....but certain conditions seem to set it off.
Ever since then, I've been trawling the forums worldwide for answers (haven't found it yet).
I've sent the car in twice to PML and they were unable to identify the source.

These are the conditions that seem to set it off;
1. On a upslope (like in a car park), and the car drive off slowly from a stationary stop
2. Sometimes at a traffic stop and the car drive off from a stationary stop

The noise stops once the car picks up speed.

The noise emanates from the left side of the car and sometimes, the front seat and left rear seat passenger can feel the 'clunk' on the floor. I do suspect it has something to do with the transfer case.

I have the video of the noise but I do not know how to attach a video to a thread.

Will appreciate any thoughts on this.

Many thanks! Good day to all.

Hello, newbie to BMW and the forum. Got my X3 in Nov 2018.

Am hearing the same sound that @Tonyleejt posted.

Could I check if there is a solution to the problem? I have not send the X3 in yet as the clunking sound doesn't happen all the time (but does comes on under the 2 conditions that @Tonyleejt listed).

Many thanks.

Hello, newbie to BMW and the forum. Got my X3 in Nov 2018.

Am hearing the same sound that @Tonyleejt posted.

Could I check if there is a solution to the problem? I have not send the X3 in yet as the clunking sound doesn't happen all the time (but does comes on under the 2 conditions that @Tonyleejt listed).

Many thanks.

Hi Cym,

PML managed to isolate the source of the noise. It was from the output shaft assembly. So they replaced the whole thing.

BUT........after 2 months of trouble free driving, the sound came back (just last week)!.......sigh.........

I am waiting for their response. Do let me know how it goes because if this is a batchwide production issue, we should pursue the lemon law and get a replacement. Strength in numbers....:)

Hi Tony, thanks for sharing. Appreciate it. I will find a time to go PML and get the problem looked into. Current period is too busy so probably do it after CNY. Will keep you posted after that.

The noise is infrequent but does comes on under the 2 conditions you wrote in your original message. I go to Novena Square 2 quite frequently and up the slope to the Carpark, the clunking sound never fail to appear :(

Thanks again for sharing. My first BMW after years of Lexus. Must say I am a bit disappointed. Never had any problem at all for Lexus!

Hi Tony, thanks for sharing. Appreciate it. I will find a time to go PML and get the problem looked into. Current period is too busy so probably do it after CNY. Will keep you posted after that.

The noise is infrequent but does comes on under the 2 conditions you wrote in your original message. I go to Novena Square 2 quite frequently and up the slope to the Carpark, the clunking sound never fail to appear :(

No worries! I will also post any updates here.

Do look for Muhamed Rafi or the Service Manager Aaron Tan at PML Alexandra. They have been handling my case.

Thanks again for sharing. My first BMW after years of Lexus. Must say I am a bit disappointed. Never had any problem at all for Lexus!

Yeah, tell me about it......:confused::confused:

Hi! Guys , try playing with the steering wheel, with the car engine off, and see if you get the sound in the video. If you do get a clanking sound then you have a Steering Thrust Plate issue. That's how I fixed my F23 X3

Was this ever resolved as my 3.0d x3 f25 is making the same noise. Had 2 diffrent garages look at this but can’t replicate the issue. Had all the suspension steering and sub frame Component torque checked but nothing found lose that would cause this issue

HI! Martingg, you can order the replacement thrust piece from PML with the following p/no: (32 10 6 891 974) from PML it only cost S$56 dollars and you can get outside mechnic to replace it, PML will charge you S#00 for replacement, outside cheaper.

Attachments

• Thrust piece.JPG
    Thrust piece.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Thrust piece location.JPG
    Thrust piece location.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 520
  • BMW Repairs Steering Thrust kit.jpg
    BMW Repairs Steering Thrust kit.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 443
Th
HI! Martingg, you can order the replacement thrust piece from PML with the following p/no: (32 10 6 891 974) from PML it only cost S$56 dollars and you can get outside mechnic to replace it, PML will charge you S#00 for replacement, outside cheaper.

Hi Cym,

PML managed to isolate the source of the noise. It was from the output shaft assembly. So they replaced the whole thing.

BUT........after 2 months of trouble free driving, the sound came back (just last week)!.......sigh.........

I am waiting for their response. Do let me know how it goes because if this is a batchwide production issue, we should pursue the lemon law and get a replacement. Strength in numbers....:)

Hi @Cym & @Tonyleejt,

I saw your post in this forum and have encountered the same clunking noise issue at the rear output shaft of my X3 G01 which I collected brand new a year ago. They have replaced with an improvised shaft but the clunking noise returned after a month later.

Would like to seek your advise if your car continues to have those noises and what are the next step of action that they have done for you. I wanted to resolve this and hope to be able to reach out to you guys soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helo210
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back