BOOK ON BMW - "DRIVEN"

axl said:
Yes, my d*ck is small and I feel inferior to 99% of the guys out there.

Refrain from self-pity, bro. There is nothing much you can do when nature cursed your physique. But you can stay strong by adopting this school of thinking:

"You don't need a big key to pick a small lock. All it takes is technique and skills."

BTW, no chick will ever declare they have a big lock waiting to be picked, will they?

Cheer up. I will buy you a drink tonight, okay?

Uhm...

To borrow a slogan from the MINI advertisements. "You don't have to be big to be happy"

Whatever that means... ;)

Hi SMYUEN,

Done with "Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit" and here's my take on it ...

The book chronicles the brief history of Lexus and its beginnings from the Toyota Motor Company. Essentially, it attempts to present Lexus' strategy to penetrate the American luxury car segment and to steal the pie from the Germans (e.g. Mercedes, BMW, Audi) and the American classics (e.g. GM's Cadillac, Chevy, Sature and Ford's Ford, Lincoln).

The first half of the book outlines the creation of Lexus' LS400 and the company's foray into the USA market (i.e. channel strategy, marketing, manufacturing). The second half provides a cursory treatement of their other models (GS, IS, RX, LX, SC ... pretty much in this order) and their plans to enter some other markets (Japan, China, Asia, Germany).

I felt that the book did a reasonably good job of sketching the players (i.e. the Lexus executives) and their respective roles in the shaping the company, designing the vehicles and manufacturing them. However, I thought that the book would have benefited from a more detailed treatment of the Lexus line-up (i.e. the specifications and relative strengths and weaknesses of their vehicles).

On the whole, I enjoyed "Driven" more because of the breadth of coverage - ranging from BMW's rich history to futuristic hybrid vehicles. Also, I somehow had the impression that the book was rather sterile... It was as though the author was writing from afar without opinions or affection for the topic...

I hope this helps! :)

Razor said:
Hi SMYUEN,

Done with "Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit" and here's my take on it ...

The book chronicles the brief history of Lexus and its beginnings from the Toyota Motor Company. Essentially, it attempts to present Lexus' strategy to penetrate the American luxury car segment and to steal the pie from the Germans (e.g. Mercedes, BMW, Audi) and the American classics (e.g. GM's Cadillac, Chevy, Sature and Ford's Ford, Lincoln).

The first half of the book outlines the creation of Lexus' LS400 and the company's foray into the USA market (i.e. channel strategy, marketing, manufacturing). The second half provides a cursory treatement of their other models (GS, IS, RX, LX, SC ... pretty much in this order) and their plans to enter some other markets (Japan, China, Asia, Germany).

I felt that the book did a reasonably good job of sketching the players (i.e. the Lexus executives) and their respective roles in the shaping the company, designing the vehicles and manufacturing them. However, I thought that the book would have benefited from a more detailed treatment of the Lexus line-up (i.e. the specifications and relative strengths and weaknesses of their vehicles).

On the whole, I enjoyed "Driven" more because of the breadth of coverage - ranging from BMW's rich history to futuristic hybrid vehicles. Also, I somehow had the impression that the book was rather sterile... It was as though the author was writing from afar without opinions or affection for the topic...

I hope this helps! :)

Hi!

Thanks for the nice synopsis! Will finish my Driven first!

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ko66london
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back