Brake does not depress when starting in morning

redline15

In the morning when starting the car, I notice the brake doesn't depress very much. This only happened in the past 2 weeks. Once the engine starts up, the brake can depress fully and is fine throughout the day. I read this could be due to a slow leak in the brake vacuum system.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this and what's the likely cause? I don't have time to bring the car to the WS this few weeks. Hopefully it won't result in anything serious.

Brake does not depress when starting in morning

Yes, you read correctly.

If you have time, look at the oil drip tray under the exhaust manifold (leading out of the engine), and all the way to the back of the oil drip tray. Is there a small ten-cent pool of blackish/brownish colored liquid?

Anyway, get it checked when convenient, eg. next servicing. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Brake does not depress when starting in morning

redline15;1072893 said:
In the morning when starting the car, I notice the brake doesn't depress very much. This only happened in the past 2 weeks. Once the engine starts up, the brake can depress fully and is fine throughout the day. I read this could be due to a slow leak in the brake vacuum system.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this and what's the likely cause? I don't have time to bring the car to the WS this few weeks. Hopefully it won't result in anything serious.

Sounds like brake boaster pump problem

Vacuum pump issue most likely. The gaskets on the vacuum pumps are known to give way.

alvinado;1072925 said:
Vacuum pump issue most likely. The gaskets on the vacuum pumps are known to give way.

Mine occasionally had the same problem. Any idea what's the downtime and damage?

Either you change the entire vacuum pump or change 2 gaskets. Price will really vary a lot depending on what option you choose.

Have the same issue too...now at least I know the cause...:D

The main thing is never to scrimp on the workshop (not that u will pay a lot more at the site sponsors' workshop anyway). Go to a non-BMW expert, u might end up with a whole lot of problems.

I did, and the self-proclaimed experts (which was a huge dealer workshop) really f'ed up my ride previously. Cost of undoing the damage was one thing, but the inconvenience was priceless.

redline15;1072893 said:

Have u solved the problem???

I am guessing that this is the part that u might need.

View attachment 61839

Cheers!!!

This is a good tread because I sound off the same problem shared here to a site sponsored workshop and I was advised by the work shop that it was early signs of loss of brake vacuum. And was advice to change brake booster, pump and valve set. Now the brake depressing problem is resolved.

Aaron_BMW;1086992 said:
Have u solved the problem???

I am guessing that this is the part that u might need.

View attachment 61839

Cheers!!!

Actually, I noticed my wife continues to step on the brakes after she switches off the engine. Her foot can remain on the brakes for a minute while she collects her stuff before she leave the car.

Then when I start the car a couple of hours later, the brake is hard to depress. I suspect its because she leaves her foot on the brakes. If I were to park the car the night before, there isn't this problem. I'm not sure what's the mechanics behind it, but I didn't do anything except to remind my wife she doesn't need to continue stepping the brakes once she puts the gear into Park and switches off the engine :)

dashBMW;1087101 said:
This is a good tread because I sound off the same problem shared here to a site sponsored workshop and I was advised by the work shop that it was early signs of loss of brake vacuum. And was advice to change brake booster, pump and valve set. Now the brake depressing problem is resolved.

Just for reference, what's the $$ damage?

redline15;1087334 said:
Actually, I noticed my wife continues to step on the brakes after she switches off the engine. Her foot can remain on the brakes for a minute while she collects her stuff before she leave the car.

Then when I start the car a couple of hours later, the brake is hard to depress. I suspect its because she leaves her foot on the brakes. If I were to park the car the night before, there isn't this problem. I'm not sure what's the mechanics behind it, but I didn't do anything except to remind my wife she doesn't need to continue stepping the brakes once she puts the gear into Park and switches off the engine :)

So she is the cause of the problem?
Ha ha

women are the cause of all problems (Lol just joking)

p.s I was advised by the workshop NOT to step on brakes while turning off the engine, as the vacuum pump will not work when the engine is off. Thus creating a hard brake to depress. I can confirm that what he says is not theory but fact.

alvinado;1087357 said:
women are the cause of all problems (Lol just joking)

p.s I was advised by the workshop NOT to step on brakes while turning off the engine, as the vacuum pump will not work when the engine is off. Thus creating a hard brake to depress. I can confirm that what he says is not theory but fact.

Yeah... I have to remind her to take her foot off the brakes once she put the gear into park before switching off the engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcfd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back