brake light problem....

rudees

Hey there bros n' sis,
got a question to ask. I'm currently driving a 93 318i and the brake lights are giving me problems:furious: ......... firstly the lights are on but when I brake, the lights don't light up, only the 3rd brake light will light up, secondly, now even the third brake light is not working. i don't even drive the car now as it is very dangerous as people don't know if I'm going or stopping. What could be the problem here pls advice as I'm sick of taking a pack MRT train every morning, oh n' I hope i posted this on the right thread. Thanks everyone............

Re: brake light problem....

check the bulbs. they maybe fused already. you can change them from 2 to 5 bucks. depending on which workshop lah.

like bro benji said... check the bulbs... if ALL SPOILT... i suspect is fuse ba.. wun so zhun all bulbs spoil ... .... best way.. is to go to workshop... any accessories shop or workshop shld be able to do it... wa.... u really a safe guy :) Thumbs Up for u... no brake light = don't drive... hehe.. if is me , i sure chiong to nearest workshop and get them fixed...

the usual culprits is the connectors for the rear lights...its a design flaw to me. changed the connectors countless times until i give up and used an aftermarket set instead. however, your 3rd brake light failure seems a bit worrying to me cos normally the sides can fail but the 3rd shouldn't. better get it checked out

haha steven, mine did fail on me a few months back. it's the bulb lah. fused already. wear and tear. got it changed at rodney's. 2 bucks only. haha

hopefully its bulb cos its definitely cheaper, the stupid connectors cost me abt10 bucks each for brand new ones if i remembered correctly.
so rudees, do a bulb check see whether got any burn out then the connectors. if both still don't work, there's a possiblity that u need to replace brake switch or something wrong with the circuit. there's alot of causes, just need to spend time to trial n error and identify it. come join us for kopi lo, we help u see see look look. really cannot, ask benji ben bring u go um2 find rodney.

sszone;335077 said:
just a moment, i forgot to ask 1 very impt thing...izzit just the brake lights failing? how abt the small lights, reverse lights?

izzt gd dat when brake litght fail will brakin....cos when u cornin...people behind thought u go lau L...dun neeed to brake n cornin..........kekeke

sszone;335052 said:
the usual culprits is the connectors for the rear lights...its a design flaw to me. changed the connectors countless times until i give up and used an aftermarket set instead. however, your 3rd brake light failure seems a bit worrying to me cos normally the sides can fail but the 3rd shouldn't. better get it checked out

at least your connectors only cost 10 bucks.

for e46, the entire panel has to be changed. happened to me end last year.

the circuits were fried - melted inside.

definitely cost a lot more than $10.

yeah e46 ones are dumb.

sometimes its a bad earth. I have modded mine with a new earth lead

but for BMW's, it uses an 18w bulb for both brake and tail lights, the car then adjusts the current for what is needed, brake or tail. So if a tail light is blown, the brake light wont work on either side sometimes

lastly, if the third brake light is gone, it's either a fuse, most likely if the bulbs are blown in the lights as it is using too much current to turn on the third brake light and the poor little fuse couldnt tahan.
OR its your brake light switch at the pedal.

OT a bit...

hey dude, you going to nurburgring?

i doubt it. busy busy at work stuff. Thats if im going at all.

ok bros
my reverse lights and signal lights are ok except for the brakes, i juz hate to drive knowing that the person behind me don't know that i'm braking. yesterday the 3rd brakes light were ok then suddenly today not working......sigh......

kopibengz;335079 said:
izzt gd dat when brake litght fail will brakin....cos when u cornin...people behind thought u go lau L...dun neeed to brake n cornin..........kekeke

like tokyo drift or initial D drifitng ah bro? haha :lol2:

so far the most LauL thing i saw my fren do is pull his brandbrake on expressway and scare the shit outta the bugger who keep tailgating him and edging him for race.
maybe cos he drive Evo so got ppl want to challenge....old car like mine nobody bother to look at....bengzzz yours i think will also got ppl wanna race with u, lowered low low, somemore with fierce splitters and bling bling headlights :woowooo:

rudee, it could also be due to the fuses blown....check out the fuse housing box...pop the bonnet, there's this rectangular box closer to the front passenger side in the engine bay. turn over its cover, there should be a diagram, identify the fuse controlling it.

hi rudee, since i already got started on the fuse box possibility so might as well go down take pic for u. as per my car diagram, its fuse or relay no.46 for the brake lights....dunno abt yours. better pray its fuse spoilt or bulb spoilt cos its less painful on the pocket...haha

e36fusebox02687.jpg

sszone;335237 said:
hi rudee, since i already got started on the fuse box possibility so might as well go down take pic for u. as per my car diagram, its fuse or relay no.46 for the brake lights....dunno abt yours. better pray its fuse spoilt or bulb spoilt cos its less painful on the pocket...haha

e36fusebox02687.jpg

Sszone showing off his Strut Bar to you.............:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

no lah, the HKS mushroom filter show off better....strut bar cheap cheap from Malaysia...lucky got jin teck dabao for me when he went for his zang jui there....hehe

i suspect it should be the fuse, i did everything like what sszone told me too, i found that i don't have an extra fuse for that so when i go to the workshop to rectify the prob i'm also praying hard it's not somethine else, cuz if it is more then that i chialat.....this is the least of my car prob bros....the list of things that needs to be change is getting longer after i add this one in.

aiyoh, can just go to car accessories shop to buy the fuse....just a couple of bucks.
sorry ah, me too diy liaozzz....will try rectifiy prob if i can before i go workshop, especially small ones...u meet honest workshops, its ok. u meet those dishonest ones, they will bullshit u that its some big prob....spend $$$ then hor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin6869blogspotcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back