Business Opps?

opulentgroup

Hi All,

I got a close friend who is retiring soon, he has spent the last 30 years in the construction industry and is leaving as a c-level personnel in a listed firm.

He is currently pursuing the thought of running a small business, small enough to afford him time for his hobbies and golf, but not so small to not be able to meet his monthly family expense.

Anyone has any idea that you could share, he aims to be able to make nett monthly about $8k to $10k that is only a quarter of what he is drawing, but he has no debt obligation, just living expense.

thanks.

Re: Business Opps?

Hmmm. fairly generic question...

To be honest -
Lots of ppl wouldn't mind making 8-10k nett.
And have time for golf, family and other hobbies.

starting a up a business, no matter how small.
usually involves lots of sweat, pain and disappointment.

it's probably alot easier to rack up 8-10k nett in monthly expenses/losses.
than in nett profit.

how much equity or cash does he have?

buy some condo's and rent out.

$5mil cash. But that he is not willing to move, unless its in concrete real estate.

Condo's anyone know where are good place, for high yield, he talked about geylang apartments

err wats so difficult? 3mio in a bond or a 5% yielding stock makes u 150k a yr.....mission accomplish with 2mio cash to spare n no need to work..

totoseow;488986 said:
err wats so difficult? 3mio in a bond or a 5% yielding stock makes u 150k a yr.....mission accomplish with 2mio cash to spare n no need to work..

i agree.
put aside idea of starting own business.

Corp bonds, or high yielding undervalued blue chips.
e.g. Temasek 10yr Bonds just issued last week. 4.3%pa

Do as toto said.
then can play 72 holes of golf a day, sleep the balance 8h.

agree. how many pple will mind 8k-10k a month?

start small biz and wana play golf? dun mean to be rude but less he has 0.5 mio of revenue confirmed, and have 40% nett after hiring someone to run the business for him. think he will not enjoy his retirement. my o/h a month in 6 digits liao.

agree with toto and nite. buy bonds. dun mind the risk, throw another 1mio into any equity and wait few years.
niteblu;488960 said:

To be honest -

than in nett profit.

n the above is an ultra conservative proposal.

with 5 mio i will generate for u 8% returns conservatively...thats 400k a year...

dun waste time with running biz.defeats the whole point of taking it easy...

buying property is an aggressive trade...u r risking all for capital gains with low yield and even -ver carry in most situations now..

totoseow;489049 said:
n the above is an ultra conservative proposal.

with 5 mio i will generate for u 8% returns conservatively...thats 400k a year...

dun waste time with running biz.defeats the whole point of taking it easy...

buying property is an aggressive trade...u r risking all for capital gains with low yield and even -ver carry in most situations now..

u sure 8%? u accept cash? all in $2 notes.

toto, maybe you can share what asset mix? u in this line?

also for bros in the financial line, those foreign asset management firm, $1mil enough to open an account? I am not in my friends league, and he seems to be a person, who has accumulated his money, but doesnt know how to grow it/

toto if got 1 mil cash then do what? buy what bond... ?

sg520;489063 said:
u sure 8%? u accept cash? all in $2 notes.
park., meaning u can generate 9-10%? even bankers dun dare promise more than 4% now.

opulentgroup;489070 said:
toto, maybe you can share what asset mix? u in this line?

also for bros in the financial line, those foreign asset management firm, $1mil enough to open an account? I am not in my friends league, and he seems to be a person, who has accumulated his money, but doesnt know how to grow it/
1mio should be enuff. UBS and CS highest min among banks and it was at 1mio before meltdown. can suggest to your friend, walk into and bank, ask PBs to contact him. now is investor's choice.

important, he needs to be clear what his objectives are. how long is he going to stay invested. short, mid long term? 5 years considered short. let PBs listen to him and comeback with solutions. go with the one he feels most comfortable in terms of credibility, fund performance and understanding his needs. just bear in mind, all PBs want to make comm of the fees. fees can be negotiated down. easy peasy.

for professional reasons, i cant recommend banks nor bankers. maybe the bros here can do that.

niteblu;488960 said:

To be honest -

than in nett profit.

totally agreed with niteblu.......

+1

cheers

totoseow;488958 said:
loanshark?
yes, tat is one good one.
I heard one, cannot confirm.
Deposit $100,000 with cheng wu & grap a legal money lender licence.
Can give up to 4% interest per mth. Employ pple who release from prison to collect the debt for you. Yellow ribbon job. You can loan bankrupt pple up to $4,999 but anything above $5K will lose ur licence. So if u can loan out $250,000 to pple who need money & rejected by banks... ho say 4% is $10,000 per mth... but Lender run ? hmmm up the lorry..

illegal loanshark too risky.. u need good runner or ur ka kia must drive fast car.. but pls employ Nanyang fine art student to paint door.. more class

Many emgerging bonds give 8% return p.a. but they are in USD so there's currency risk. Of course must choose properly else the company kaput u will loose all ur $$.

5m in hard cash and worry not making 100k a year???

i strongly advise u tell your fren to go borders to spend 3k loading up whatever investment books flash his eyes and spend the next 3-6 months finishing them.

then im sure he will have good idea how to invest his own $$$$.

then again, is it really that hard to churn out 10% return in a year??? i really doubt so.

dun take me too seriously. lol

cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nohudoithuong2

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups