• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Buying a high mileage 2.2L e46

beem

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2003 2.2L E46 with 150K mileage done on the car....the price is very attractive. A MODIC check indicated nothing wrong with the car. Car's engine is smooth, transmission good, steering feel tight. Only things needed to change is arm bush and rear bush. Suspension and absorber still okay.

What are your thoughts? I'm afraid the gearbox needs to be rebuilt and the engine's wear and tear would be enormous....

Any idea how much money needs to be dumped into this car when it ages.....or just totally forget about it...my average mileage per year would be around 15K...

Car was mostly used on highway driving...

Re: Buying a high mileage 2.2L e46

wah very high mileage..gearbox wil have prob soon, almost reaching its lifespan (unless u wanna buy, then swap to manual)
.find another low mileage one better..

Do a search on the web to find various surveys on how different cars fare after warrentee expires. No question its a nice car, but sometimes they can cost a small fortune to keep feeling like new.

Buy on condition, not on mileage.
Gearbox will probably go soon, check if ATF has been changed before. Factor in autobox rebuild.

Misc stuff like bushings, shocks, etc are relatively cheap to change.

ATF has not been changed before....i plan to factor in the torque converter pricing.

mileage is important bc it will lead to increased wear and tear thus higher cost of maintainence. 150k in 3yrs is very high and the owner must have been travellin often to msia. the other drawback is that the car body has very little value once the mileage crosses 100k. i suggest u relook at other options, unless of course the car is going very close to scrap value or abt 10k belw mkt price. then at least if the repair cost is high u can scrap the car..cheers

those engines are bullet proof if properly maintained. nothing to worry about on that front.

louis;180255 said:
those engines are bullet proof if properly maintained. nothing to worry about on that front.

i agree 200% on that. FAultless if u maintain it time to time. Its the other stuff like radiator and gearbox u ought to worry abt on the pretext that engine is still good.

diablo_728;180254 said:
mileage is important bc it will lead to increased wear and tear thus higher cost of maintainence. 150k in 3yrs is very high and the owner must have been travellin often to msia. the other drawback is that the car body has very little value once the mileage crosses 100k. i suggest u relook at other options, unless of course the car is going very close to scrap value or abt 10k belw mkt price. then at least if the repair cost is high u can scrap the car..cheers

This is a very normal perspective of our local drivers. In Europe, they would have prefer to buy a BMW with higher mileage, becos it have proven to reliable and able to withstand the change of weather conditions...

I agree this is what locals usually would prefer as it gives the impression its "new". As what diablo said, the price is lower than market price..so...maybe i'll give it a shot and negotiate further to factor in any gearbox repairs...

33;180260 said:
This is a very normal perspective of our local drivers. In Europe, they would have prefer to buy a BMW with higher mileage, becos it have proven to reliable and able to withstand the change of weather conditions...

hur hur, 33, you must be one of those who goes to market and buys the vege with the most worms and holes in the leaves.... if not good, worm won't eat. tio bo?

beem;180304 said:
I agree this is what locals usually would prefer as it gives the impression its "new". As what diablo said, the price is lower than market price..so...maybe i'll give it a shot and negotiate further to factor in any gearbox repairs...

go for the kill and quote really low (maybe >10K less) cos they cant export the car and not many locals will be willing to buy...so the dealer (i assume) is stuck between a rock and a hard place now...:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

otherwise there are plenty of nice e46 to buy in the market...take your time to buy...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helo210
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back