Cabriolet waterproofing

motorknut

I bought the BMW oem waterproofing liquid for soft tops, but my first attempt failed miserably. The whole roof soaks up water even worse now. I dunno if it's cos i used too little of the final mixture (250ml) or due to insufficient sun drying. I was working on a Z4.

Any owners have advice for me?? Would really appreciate it, cos i'm gonna try again over the weekend. Thanks.

Re: Cabriolet waterproofing

hi nut,
the waterproof is good for only small rain, if heavy rain and prolong in the rain the top still will be soaking wet but will not drip inside the cabin. if drip inside the cabin means big stick liaoz.

as per the instruction on the bottle is suppose to use 1 whole bottle each time... the last i use half / half coz too ex to use all...but the next round i do i will use all. waterproofing can do 3 ot 4 months 1 time. or even longer if your car is not always expose to rain etc...

hellboyII;398676 said:
hi nut,
the waterproof is good for only small rain, if heavy rain and prolong in the rain the top still will be soaking wet but will not drip inside the cabin. if drip inside the cabin means big stick liaoz.

as per the instruction on the bottle is suppose to use 1 whole bottle each time... the last i use half / half coz too ex to use all...but the next round i do i will use all. waterproofing can do 3 ot 4 months 1 time. or even longer if your car is not always expose to rain etc...

My roof doesn't leak, it just stopped repelling water already.

You use the entire bottle?? i thought just mix 3 capfuls to 1 litre?? do you use yours straight out of the bottle? I only intend to do twice a year, weekly i just vacuum with horsehair attachment.

motorknut;398789 said:
My roof doesn't leak, it just stopped repelling water already.

You use the entire bottle?? i thought just mix 3 capfuls to 1 litre?? do you use yours straight out of the bottle? I only intend to do twice a year, weekly i just vacuum with horsehair attachment.

1st time i use half bottle, 2nd time use the other half, the next time i go im gng to use the whole bottle.

but can last long so maybe i 6 month do 1 time.

I have also tried using 3M fabric protector. It's more effective.

sunrise;398839 said:
I have also tried using 3M fabric protector. It's more effective.

Hi Sunrise, is that the red and white canister found at DIY stores? No problems with colour effect on your BMW? I was considering that since it's foam, much easier to apply than the liquid stuff. but read some other car brands had discoloration after using it, it was chrysler i think.

Yes it is. I think they have heavy duty and normal ones. I used the HD once on my blue roof. No discolouration observed but don't apply too much.

thanks for all the feedback guys.

but before I run out and buy the 3M stuff, I still have a 90% full bottle of the BMW impregnating agent (is it just me or does that sound pervy?)

so if anybody has some tips on proper way to apply it, it'd be much appreciated. all the bottle says is mix 3 capfuls to 1 litre of water. I thought that was just a mixing gauge, and only prepped 0.5L.

I dunno if I'm using too little of the final mix - 250ml - or if it just wasn't completely dried before I went and washed the rest of my car, probably taking some of the coat off.

Hi Bro motorknut, this is wat i always do.....maybe u can try, hope it works for u
wash my canvass top 1st, after tat press 4-5 squirt of BMW impregnating agent into a spraying
bottle ( those tat u use to spray flowers/plants ) mixing it wt a little bit of water. Spray onto canvass in shade & use a soft sponge to spread the liquid evenly making sure most of it are absorb into canvass, then drive out into sun to let dry. It even help to tighten the canvass & stop most of the creaking sound.
Cheers..!!!

chris27;402229 said:
Hi Bro motorknut, this is wat i always do.....maybe u can try, hope it works for u
wash my canvass top 1st, after tat press 4-5 squirt of BMW impregnating agent into a spraying
bottle ( those tat u use to spray flowers/plants ) mixing it wt a little bit of water. Spray onto canvass in shade & use a soft sponge to spread the liquid evenly making sure most of it are absorb into canvass, then drive out into sun to let dry. It even help to tighten the canvass & stop most of the creaking sound.
Cheers..!!!

thanks for the tip. I tried redo-ing the top, making sure i soak in plenty of the mixture, but not too much to have it drip on the paintwork. used close to 350ml of mixture this time.

i quite like using a sponge ( i cut a small piece off those compressed sponges u get at fix it shops) cos i can dab on the smaller areas near the rear windscreen in a controlled manner. this time i driedd it out in the sun, and it looked pretty good. at first.

i find when big splashes of water land, it deflects water v well. but if its fine droplets, it starts to soak in. think i'll try the 3m alternative next time. from the feedback here, sounds like a better bet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubprof

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back