Can exhaust really suck in water?

yky

I was driving through a bad flood at Paya Lebar ( where else! ) and was sure that the exhaust tip was below water. I can hear the exhaust bubbling behind. Damn scared but managed to crawl to dry land without stalling as I kept the foot on the accelerator pedal and kept the revs above 2K. It was fortunate that the traffic, albeit slow, was still moving.

I heard so much about talk of water getting sucked into the exhaust system in such circumstance or is it just a myth? If so, can the water choke the cats and even the engine?

Can anyone comment on the best way to drive through a bad flood without fear of water entering the exhaust ?

Re: Can exhaust really suck in water?

no way it cat suck back in when your engine is running, but if you shut down your engine then can suck in.

ah..i had to drive thru that same area!!! (was makaning at Geylang dim sum)
scary man... i also tried to keep my engine revving to push the water out of exhaust

i wait a while for the car in front to clear the deepest areas before i whack one shot go thru... dun wanto get stuck in the middle of the water....

(i saw ppl standing on the bus stop seats cos the flood waters were too high...reached up till the edge of the bus stop seats..crazy stuff)

Yes, it was about 3 nights ago. Scary, thanks to the never ending circle line ( or PLE? ) works.
So it means that as long the engine is on, even at idle rpm, there will be no sucking back, right?

The engine can never suck in water through the exhaust. Even if the engine stalls in the water, the water level can only flow to the level outside. Lets say that the engine and exhaust cools due to the water, the water will only flow upwards a little. Hydrostatic lock occurs when the engine takes in water from the intake.

No worries about exhausts in floods. You much rather worry about those CAIs that plumb the air filter down into the front bumper.

Cheers

Cheers

So what is the cause of stock cars stalling in floods ( besides the bumper level CAIs that is )?

The stalling of cars in floods is usually due to wet ignition systems. With coil over plugs found nowsadays, this problem has been reduced to very rare occurances. The cars that stall are those with distrubutors.

Cheers

Won't your cat and muffler die if water goes in? If you have a cat or muffer in the first place.... heh

Your CAT and muffler will nt die if water goes in. As long as you start your car soon after, the water will be expelled.

During normal operation, combustion processes will produce a small amount of water vapour and you can see this on cold mornings and the exhaust from cars infront of yours produce a small cloud of "smoke" that evaporates about 2 feet away from the pipe.

Relax on water and exhausts. Much better to prevent water from entering the air intake for those cars that pipe the air intake downwards to the bumper.

Water will only enter the engine through the air intake. In my experience, the best way to tackle flood water is slowly! Try to drive slowly and steadily so that the front of the car creates a "bow" wave that pushes the water away. Having said that, I do recall one lady berating me about why her engine was ruined by flood water. When I asked how deep the water was, she replied "It was only just coming over the bonnet!"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betso888netph

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back