Cant decide which F10 to get Need help..

Don Lim 99

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a preown F10 but I cant decide what model to get
520i , 523i or 528i... need help on the pro and con for it model and maintenance..
pls advice as I am a newbie in the forum and BMW.

Thanks in advance..

I got the 523i... a ton of problems... a bit regret

Mileage is 47k at 5.5 years.. I don't know if the mileage was tampered with.

523i is 2.5l engine? If so then higher road tax.

Between 520i and 528i, if price is not too far off, might as well go with 528i?

Actually I don't mind is 2.5l or 2.0l engine, I am afraid of the problem after purchase.. engine oil leaking is normal for BMW. another than that any problem. Like Gearbox ,engine.. ETC...

Yes they will allow you to send it to your preferred workshop to "verify" if it's in good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 523 since 2010. Not much issue. Changed radiator and ignition coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i hear F10 will have error code when changing Brembo Or AP brake in the rear.. Any of the bro. hear slove this problem? Or can only change the front only.

i hear F10 will have error code when changing Brembo Or AP brake in the rear.. Any of the bro. hear slove this problem? Or can only change the front only.

K-Sport rear BBK allows the stock EPB actuator to be integrated.

I got the 523i... a ton of problems... a bit regret

Mileage is 47k at 5.5 years.. I don't know if the mileage was tampered with.
Hello Sir, what issues did you encounter with your F10 523i?

To Don: comparing between the three models you are considering, I am also making the same considerations - and have recently decided on the 523i.

Why not 520i?
Since already getting second hand, might as well get a higher engine spec as the car has the same kerb weight which means with the 520i, which is only belting at an estimated 181bhp (or less due to engine wear & tear) which means it could be slightly under-powered given that I am a less than svelte body shape (please refer to my avatar).

If power-weight ratio is my concern, then why not the 528i?
245bhp does seem very enticing, but it is still a 2.0 litre twin-scroll turbo, and it also comes with a lot of cool features such as soft-close doors and sunroof (on some models). But that also means more electrical things that could potentially break down, and I'll have to get the turbo charge pipes, engine mountings, etc. checked out as well. Also, the 2.0 litre engine also potentially has the timing chain wear issue that I might have to think about since I am getting a pre-owned.

So why the 523i?
Firstly, it's the last of the N.A. inline-6 engines - all present models are turbo-charged inline-4, or worse, 3-cylinder engines. To me, that means straightforward power with (possibly) less mechanical fuss. Granted, I don't own one yet (I'm still shopping around) but given the current prices on the 2nd-hand market, the 528i is easily asking for a couple grand more than the 523i with similar OMVs - so why pay more to lose more money at scrap especially when it's not practical for us to keep our rides beyond 10 years?

Case in point

Oct 2012 528i going for 114k with 90k COE & 46.5K ARF: http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=649008&DL=2113 (Dereg value: 23K)
Oct 2012 523i going for 106k with 87k COE & 50K ARF: http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=660119&DL=2958 (Dereg value: 25k)

Just my humble opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiee88ro
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back