Car cant move!

mlyeu

My 2 yr old 520i LCI started as per normal. Placed gear into Reverse and tried to move but couldnt. Put it into Drive, also cannot. Placed it into Neutral, got out and close the door to push the car also cannot. Looked like the rear brake/wheel locked up? or jammed? In the end, called the BMW mobile service to towed it back to PML. Have not heard from PML workshop yet but intend to call them later. Has anyone experience this or know what is at fault?

Re: Car cant move!

When in gear (R, D or DS/M), can you feel any movement at all when brake is released? Think most probably gearbox stuck in P.

Just an update.
Got my car back from PML last night.
PML says...It's caused by me washing my car the night before CNY and ended up not using my car for the next 4 days. Rust had build up on the disc and bonded with brake pads. They said the brake calipers could have released if I had gone forward slowly a loud pop to be expected when the disc is broken free of the pad. But since my car was parked with my front against the wall I couldnt do it. They said reversed would not worked the same.

I didnt ask further as I found it hard to believe that rust can so strong ? Does it make any sense?
Anyway no repair was done and they charged me $44 bucks for their service.

the rust is gone now and everything back to normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Also find it hard to believe. Did you see the discs being rust covered before the car went to PML?

If my understanding is correct, the parking brake is separate from the disc brake on the four wheels. The parking is actually a drum brake located inside the wheel hub of the rear disc, which should be pretty much water proof from car washing (not sure about flood though). So the disc brake calipers should be biting on the discs when the car is in P and handbrake applied, only the parking drum brake pads will be in contact with the drum inner surface.

Think PML also blur in what happened.

mlyeu;612335 said:
Just an update.
PML says...It's caused by me washing my car the night before CNY and ended up not using my car for the next 4 days. Rust had build up on the disc and bonded with brake pads. They said the brake calipers could have released if I had gone forward slowly a loud pop to be expected when the disc is broken free of the pad. But since my car was parked with my front against the wall I couldnt do it. They said reversed would not worked the same.

I didnt ask further as I found it hard to believe that rust can so strong ? Does it make any sense?

This is truth. I experienced this on my corolla (now 320i). The pop sound is scarily loud & u would hv tot something has broken.

156F1;612363 said:
Also find it hard to believe. Did you see the discs being rust covered before the car went to PML?

If my understanding is correct, the parking brake is separate from the disc brake on the four wheels. The parking is actually a drum brake located inside the wheel hub of the rear disc, which should be pretty much water proof from car washing (not sure about flood though). So the disc brake calipers should be biting on the discs when the car is in P and handbrake applied, only the parking drum brake pads will be in contact with the drum inner surface.

Think PML also blur in what happened.

Only saw the normal layer of rust after the disc come in contact with water during washing. Nothing unusual.

mlyeu;612335 said:
Just an update.

Doesn't sound believeable. Suggest you get another opinion..........

Such situation is true, I have experienced this before. The water caused the handbrake shoe to stick together or something like that. If U release ur handbrake lever, the brake shoe is still engaged so the car cannot move. And yes, if u engage gear and accelerate to force ur wheel to turn, there will indeed be a loud pop sound when its released.

Its pretty common actually. Ask around any experienced mechanic and they should know bout this too. Nothing to worry about,

delrosa81;612461 said:
Such situation is true, I have experienced this before. The water caused the handbrake shoe to stick together or something like that. If U release ur handbrake lever, the brake shoe is still engaged so the car cannot move. And yes, if u engage gear and accelerate to force ur wheel to turn, there will indeed be a loud pop sound when its released.

Its pretty common actually. Ask around any experienced mechanic and they should know bout this too. Nothing to worry about,

Handbrake - Maybe.

But PML is saying brake pad (not shoe) sticking onto the disk (not drum) due to rust ....... who stepped on the brake pedal all night for it to bond ?

aiya ... i 'suspect' pml means the same thing but explain in the wrong way.
pml style ... you say laksa they explain mee siam mai hum

Red_Bean_Bun;612465 said:
Handbrake - Maybe.

But PML is saying brake pad (not shoe) sticking onto the disk (not drum) due to rust ....... who stepped on the brake pedal all night for it to bond ?

wt_know;612468 said:

If that's the case ......

Wah lau .....

wt_know;612468 said:

haa haa yeah man, most prob :p

in dealing with pml, expect the unexpected. then, you are fine !

Red_Bean_Bun;612470 said:
If that's the case ......

Wah lau .....

Somehow the pads got 'stuck' onto the rotors after washing and leaving the car park for days can jam up the brakes and cause the car unable to move fwd esp if you dun throttle off when moving..it happen to my rear performance brakes..when the brake pad and rotor break free a loud 'pong' sound was heard and give me a scare and i realise its the pads got stuck onto the rotors due to water stains that dried up on the rotors and the pads surface..

Its pretty normal so after a wash drive your car n excercise yr brakes to clear off the water before you park it to prevent similar occurrance. :)

why not push to 'P' and do not pull handbrake.
this could prevent the 'sticky' brake shoe on drum problem.
now i would appreciate my groomer for not pulling handbrake after washing, grooming and park the car for hours before collection :)

not only after car wash... because experienced similar issue before cny where car was parked after a heavy downpour.

Same thing happened to me and one BMW forumer confirmed its due to the rear wheel brake lock jamming due to water log. I noticed it only happens when i wash the car.

I think water collects in the rear brake shoes and it locks up. It will release with a loud pop when i step on the accelerator but u have to be carefull as the car literally shoots forward.

I think next time after washing the car just drive it for 5 mins around the block to discharge the water? Maybe that will help? Ferget abouy bringing it to PML...they r quite useless and a waste of time and money...

mlyeu;612335 said:
Just an update.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbetcominfo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back