Car dealers raise concerns that lemon law may increase business costs

ac323

Staff member
The Singapore Vehicle Traders Association (SVTA) has raised concerns that the lemon law will increase the business costs of its members, especially for used car dealers who are worried that buyers may make frivolous claims for defects.

SVTA counts about 390 car dealers dealing in both brand new and used cars as its members.

Although the lemon law kicked in on September 1, not many car dealers are aware of how it works.

President of SVTA Neo Tiam Ting said: "Car dealers are not very clear what should they do if the consumer comes to them and says that something is spoilt and that they want to claim it under lemon law.

"They are not very clear whether we need to pay them, or compensate them, or repair it."

The dealers said that some consumers may be driven to do so when COE prices plummet unexpectedly, and buyers feel they overpaid for their cars.

As a safeguard, car dealers have been encouraged to send the used cars for evaluation checks to avoid fraudulent claims by consumers.

However, doing this will drive up their costs, especially as there are now more items on the check list.

According to SVTA, such checks now cost between S$168 and S$200, an increase of between S$25 and S$32 per car.

Mr Neo added: "In our evaluation report, we now have added more things to check. So when we hand over the car to the consumer, we go through more thorough visual and mechanism checks."

Mr Neo said that customers may ask for a refund or even for the car to be replaced and asked: "Who is the independent (body) to judge what's a fair amount if there's really a complaint of a lemon car?"

"The worst case is when it comes to replacements. We can't find a car which is the same year, same month, same COE, same mileage, same condition," he added.

But the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) says the lemon law is important for those who bought second-hand vehicles as they may not be covered by a warranty.

CASE president Lim Biow Chuan said: "Does it mean despite paying a hefty sum for the second-hand car and the car breaks down the next day, there's nothing he can do about it?

"I think that cannot be because the consumer does have rights and the lemon law provisions are meant to assist the consumer to go back to the retailer to say 'look, even though this is a second-hand car, I expect that certain parts of this car would be in a workable condition'."

The Ministry of Trade and Industry and CASE has held some 40 seminars and roadshows to brief consumers and retailers about the new lemon law. An additional 15 sessions are expected to be rolled out in the next two months.

CASE said that it encourages car dealers who may have questions about the lemon law to attend these sessions.

Re: Car dealers raise concerns that lemon law may increase business costs

We interrupt this programme to bring you a special
NEWS FLASH!
for dodgy used-car dealers

why is defect a frivolous claim?

Mockngbrd;887087 said:
why is defect a frivolous claim?

Cos many kiam kanas, like some here who drive BRAND NEW BMWs will kpkb on every thing such as wiper water not powerful and want a brand new car

All these years bad car dealers also make frivolous claims that there are no defects...accident free, tweaked mileage, owner's 99th car bla bla bla...

Where's Ms Lim?

kenntona;887106 said:
Where's Ms Lim?

in spa, she got an appt with you tonite?

S2k said:
in spa, she got an appt with you tonite?

She got time for spa? She got so many cars to sell !!!

Under the lemon Law if i bought a used E90 with no defect when signing paper, however 2 weeks later i discover that the engine consume engine oil due to the wore piston rings (hidden problem). Can i return the car or ask the dealer to pay for the engine overhaul cost ??

I think wear and tear items are not included.....

kenntona;887124 said:
I think wear and tear items are not included.....
Yes wear and tear are not included, however a wored piston ring will not happen in 2 weeks time. The car dealer will not tell you that the car consume engine oil and you need to top up engine oil every 2 weeks even he knew the problem. He will hide from you in order to sell the car which is a lemon.

$200 for an STA inspection report is chum change when compared to the supposedly 10 - 20K margins these dealers make....

COME ON!!!!!

"CASE president Lim Biow Chuan said: "Does it mean despite paying a hefty sum for the second-hand car and the car breaks down the next day, there's nothing he can do about it?"

I think President Lim kanna before a bad experience buying a 2nd hand car..but thumbs up for Lemon Law..2nd hand buyers need to protect themselves from some car dealers. Some of these car dealers not honest one...

I don't hear Ken complaining about increased business cost when the cost of aluminium pole went up.

C3P0 said:
I don't hear Ken complaining about increased business cost when the cost of aluminium pole went up.

Carbon fiber now, stronger, lighter..... Robson's !!!

osim said:
Yes wear and tear are not included, however a wored piston ring will not happen in 2 weeks time. The car dealer will not tell you that the car consume engine oil and you need to top up engine oil every 2 weeks even he knew the problem. He will hide from you in order to sell the car which is a lemon.

Now, we are talking about something that a normal car dealer (or its usual workshop) could not have known...... piston ring, HPFP, differential, gearbox....... I am not sure how are the dealers gonna find out these before "eating" the car....

kevinbmw;887155 said:
"CASE president Lim Biow Chuan said: "Does it mean despite paying a hefty sum for the second-hand car and the car breaks down the next day, there's nothing he can do about it?"

I think President Lim kanna before a bad experience buying a 2nd hand car..but thumbs up for Lemon Law..2nd hand buyers need to protect themselves from some car dealers. Some of these car dealers not honest one...

all dealers aren't honest, its just how much smoke they wanna generate. A certain amt of smoke is normally acceptable

That's it... next time when u sell the car to 2nd hand car dealer, they will said you car probably lemon and take in at paper value. Alamak, so how if you sell car yourself?

Hmmm...can imagine now that car within 3 year warranty less lemon, and cars that have 5 years warranty has more resale value. After warranty, lemon value...

Used conti car will not come cheap, because the 2nd hand car dealer will factor in the car replacement parts in case of lemon, which is common in conti car. Japs cars will be safer bet and parts is cheaper.

In few months time, maybe some insurers will also have lemon insurance for 2nd hand car dealers if they meet certain criteria, so all car 2nd hand car dealers will have to buy, in case consumers came back to claim against them. Risky business for insurer. Repair workshop and stock parts dealer business upgrade from good to better ya.

Our lemon law is very complicated and may in itself be a lemon

How many of us here are guilty of trading-in worn / malfunctioning cars? Does lemon law applies?

How many of us inform the dealer if we knew the problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
66vnworld
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back