Car Jerks when coming to a stop

James1500

I know this issue has been discussed at length. My 11/06 E60 is currently facing the same issue, i.e. Jerks before coming to a complete stop. Even when the car is stationary, shifting to Manual Transmission and downshift from M2 to M1 will cause the car to lurch forward.

I send my vehicle into PML and was diagnose as faulty transmission assembly. They say the only way to solve is to change my entire gearbox for $8k. The SA also quoted that a software reset was done to no avail.

Can anyone good bros out there advise me what to do? Should I check out the car and go for 2nd opinion? Or any good and reliable transmission workshop anyone would recommend?

Please Help....

James

Re: Car Jerks when coming to a stop

forget about pml since the warranty is already over.
with $8k, you can find better solution at outside workshop.

just a suggestion
a. check with BVO to see any cheaper alternative. the thread that discussed in length some change oil, change filter, upgrade software, etc makes a lot better already.

b. check with TWM -> if need for a recon transmission

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi James,

I encountered similar jerk forward for E90.. Its an auto gear & was due to gear shift delay from 2 to 3 according to the TWM service manager.

U could check with them as I find them quite knowledgable..

Hw to resolve wld need to seek their advise

Cheers

hi bro i just bought a 3 yrs old E66 (730Li) recently with low mileage of 25000km. i hv the same "jerk" problem and after PML cleared the adaptation memory (cost about $140 including 1litre of gear box oil top up) my car is ok now. the other option is to ask PML to upgrade the gear system / clutch software (cost about $250+). that should also help to solve the problem. regards allen

Hi bro, I am facing the same problem with my dad's E60 YOM2005. The car comes to a jerky stop whenever the car comes to a rest. Brought the car to PML in Kg Arang and the car was diagnosed with "valve body fault" and "mechatronics problem" when the car was brought for a second opinion at Juzz for Cars.

The car was then brought to PML for some computer reset but the problem still persists as informed by the adviser.:whythis:

So I guess the only 3 options are: i). To change to a new gear box(most expensive but assured of solving the problem)
ii). To just change the "valve body" at half the price but if its a gear box fault then sorry, a new gear box would still have to be purchased.:screwedu:
iii), To ignore the problem and drive till you either sell the car or let the part fail:furious:

Honestly, option 1 might seem the most assured way but problem is what will be next after this is done as the wear and tear of the hoses and connecting pipes and all will be more apparent once the car hits 70-80K plus in mileage..:furious:

Bro,

The jerking of the gearbox can be isolated to Faulty Control Valve body or also known as Mechatronic which J4C diagnosed. I've sent my car to TWM End Sep 10 for them to work on my Valve control body. Apparently, from what I gathered, they down my gearbox once, put it back, tested and failed the test. 2nd attempt was initiated, and this time round it was all OK.

After I took back my car on 5th Oct 10, I had the same problem again on the 6th onwards. However, this time round, the jerkiness is far more subtle but again I don't think any car should behave this way so I resend in my car last Sunday for them to work on the Valve Control Body and estimate collection on Fri/Sat. I hoped all will be well again.

Cost was $1.7k plus which was borne by the dealer. For the repeated repairs, I don't pay a single cent. Just damn sian to kepe going up and down.

I'll update again.

James

James1500;584638 said:
Bro,

The jerking of the gearbox can be isolated to Faulty Control Valve body or also known as Mechatronic which J4C diagnosed. I've sent my car to TWM End Sep 10 for them to work on my Valve control body. Apparently, from what I gathered, they down my gearbox once, put it back, tested and failed the test. 2nd attempt was initiated, and this time round it was all OK.

After I took back my car on 5th Oct 10, I had the same problem again on the 6th onwards. However, this time round, the jerkiness is far more subtle but again I don't think any car should behave this way so I resend in my car last Sunday for them to work on the Valve Control Body and estimate collection on Fri/Sat. I hoped all will be well again.

Cost was $1.7k plus which was borne by the dealer. For the repeated repairs, I don't pay a single cent. Just damn sian to kepe going up and down.

I'll update again.

Hi James,

thanks very much for the feedback shared!:) From what I have gathered from PML, the valve body CANNOT be checked for faults and therefore I have to decide on whether to have the gear box changed for a safer mind or just have the valve body changed but if ends up being a gear box failure then I got to waste money and have the gear box changed again.!!!:whythis:

Honestly, not too good to put the prices quoted by PML but an approximate sum for a new gear box is in the region of 5 figure whereas a valve body change will set me back by half...:furious:

well..hope everything is okie for your car then!

Alvin :)

Alvin,

Honestly, whatever PML says, take it with a pinch of salt. Go for second opinion. Optionally you can try Kian Tiong at Sin Ming Autocare, level 1. Look for Mike, he has a cheaper solution which will cost around $4-5k.

Just remember, once your car is no longer under warranty, dun bother to go PML.. That's my take.

James

Same problem on my Dec 2005 525. Software update did not work so PML told me I needed to change gearbox at $10k. Eventually ended up changing just the mechatronic unit at $1.3k. Problem fixed.

Singapore Brummie;584944 said:
Same problem on my Dec 2005 525. Software update did not work so PML told me I needed to change gearbox at $10k. Eventually ended up changing just the mechatronic unit at $1.3k. Problem fixed.

Where did you get it done bro? I may need them.

How much does a software update for the E60 cost at PML?

I think its quite decently priced below $200 if I am not mistaken..

highbury;585010 said:
How much does a software update for the E60 cost at PML?

hi bro, paid about 200+ for a software update at PML, but that included a top up of the ATF as well :wavey:

Same problem on my Dec 2005 525 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting2005 525end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Software update did not work so PML told me I needed to change gearbox at $10k. Eventually ended up changing just the mechatronic unit at $1.3k. Problem fi:pxed.

hi bro, mind sharing with me the contact as well?the price seems quite reasonable:p

Why must pay for software update? :shoot:

my E90 just experienced this problem and I sent my car to PML, hoping that the update of software can solve the problem but unfortunately, they told me that my "Footwell module" is spoilt and need to be replace for $850 before any programming can be done....
Did any bro out there experience this same ssue and did you managed to find a cheaper solution? I'm still under TWM warranty, so does this covered in the warranty? :(

allow me to digress....seems a v common issue with bmw cars? just wondering if its the same w Audi or other like cars....also i think this may be the reason why PML offers 3 yr warranty..anything longer these issues will surface...anybody tried Audi service before? am thinking maybe next ride my family gets should go for Audi...tat is none of such PML-like rubbish

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvipbeauty

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back