Car Remote failed and the whole car just went to sleep

Lipp

Hi Bro and Sis,

I have a 09' E90. Recently my remote key failed and couldn't get the car started. I opened the door with manual key and tried slot in my key to try and start the engine but it does not respond at all. I guess it may be electrical failure instead of just the remote key failure (tried on both set). I finally get it working after I open the boot and bonnet (but I did not do anything to it except open and close). Drive to both PML and and outside workshop and it came back nothing. Diagnostic check that all are well. Damn.... I have been living with this problem for the past week. Every day must open the bonnet and close it to wake the car up, hahaha....

Anyone have come across this problem before? Have you got it fixed?

Summary;
1) No matter how hard you press or stand at whichever direction, the remote just don work.
2) Manual open the door, slot the remote key, it just won't start.
3) Like most people do when car broke down, open the bonnet and look see (but don't know what's wrong). Close it, tried the remote again and BINGO... it works.
4) Manage to start the engine and drove to destination without problem. No fault signal or whatsoever.
5) Everyday this issue will happen and for the past week, it is the most times I have open a bonnet since owning a car, haiz...
6) Brought to workshops and it was given a clean bill of health. What the heck... It just behave well when I'm not with her.

Going to send back to workshop for a full day diagnosis and hopefully issue could be detected. If not... I don't know what to do anymore.

If anyone encounter such issue and manage to get it resolve, please share with me. I would greatly appreciate your kindness.

Thanks,
Lipp

Re: Car Remote failed and the whole car just went to sleep

Perhaps, some electrical contact is loose; which gets shaken into place by the vibration induced by opening and reclosing of the boot and or the bonnet. I would guess each is closed with a bit of a thump, right?

Try checking the battery contacts to see if they have shaken loose.

I like your sense of humour in your post. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what I thought that some connector might have came loose. Physical check by workshop on the connector yield nothing wrong. I will be sending in for a thorough check soon if things don't improve this week. Worst is you know there's a problem but still couldn't detect the cause.

Try changing your remote battery and see as it is a cheap way to try to see if it is the cause. On my F30, when the comfort access don't work, I notice it seem to indicate low remote batt as once I changed it, everything back to normal.

Hi,

some how I encountered quite a similar issue as yours. But mine is slightly worse as half way I drive, the whole car electric cut off for like 1-2secounds, headlight gone, speedo off, radio off, and when it regain electricity, abs warning came and active steering warning came... when to workshop and check, but workshop say the fault they can see is only abs as my brake fluid is very dirty. so got it changed and thought nothing will happen. who knows this problem came even more frequent, everytime I drive, I got it. once I off the car, the whole car power cut off and my key got stuck in the keyhole. need to wait for a while, open boot, open bonnet then the power came alive again... recently went to upgrade my audio system and the shop recommend me to change my car battery as the battery is about 2yrs old, so I changed it. And it sort of solve this problem, I am not experiencing this problem anymore and everything back to normal... It didn't struck me to change battery as the car still can crank quite fast and easy after it regain the power... so you might want to try this option if your battery has crossed 1.5yrs...

MSportTune, Thanks for the suggestion. Something worth to try out.

Silverdreamz, battery was checked and it was still good. It should be more than a year old but I guess it is worth considering to change it should there be a high possibility of fault. I will get the mechanic to consider this. Thanks!

Same thing happens with your other remote key ?

Ask the workshop to check if the frequency can be identified and what is the signal strength along the way for a start ...

MSportTune;1117515 said:
Try changing your remote battery and see as it is a cheap way to try to see if it is the cause. On my F30, when the comfort access don't work, I notice it seem to indicate low remote batt as once I changed it, everything back to normal.

Yes, try change the remote battery 1st. B'cos car with comfort access battery will run flat. Mine is a E60 w/o comfort access, juz slot in the key it will automatically charge by itself.

My workshop did a full check on the wiring, battery, ECU, etc.... He did two things and for close to a week now, car working as per normal.

a) connector to battery a "little" loose so he tighten it.
b) run coding for the car.

Finger cross and hopefully it solve my problem. Thanks peoples for your kind advises. Cheers!

the wiring to your brake and licence plate in the boot lid has micro cracking.
resulting in the whole car shorted
thats why you have to open/close to "unshort" first before you can start the car

dont believe me ? go to a dark place at night (no street lamp)
open and close the boot lid SLOWLY... you will notice that at certain angle of closing, there is a flickering of the lamp inside the boot

go to PML to change that section of wires that are exposed at the hinge of the boot when you open it ... if i rmbr correctly, costs about 150 +/-

dont ask me how i know.
starbucks grande coffee on you if i am correct

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuesankhau

Latest posts