"Check Brake Lights" Warning

sierrasg

The "Check Brake Lights" warning on my e39 came on a couple of weeks back. Upon checking, found that the LHS brake light blew and I opted to replace both brake lights at PML.

It was a straightforward replacement that took about a minute to change and cost less than 5 dollars. The warning also disappeared.

Problems started recently. Intermittently, the "Check Brake Lights" warning would appear and disappear after some minutes.

Nothing was actually wrong with the brakelights - both were bright and worked perfectly. I took both lights out and checked if they were fitted properly a couple of times. Nothing was visually amiss.

Anyone encountered similar problems and what's the best way to resolve this?

Thanks,
Alvin.

Check your 3rd brake light bulb too. Should be due for replacement. Will be fine after that.

Check your 3rd brake light.... that could be the culprit. The contact could be loose there. Personally experienced this before. Next time when the "warning" comes on, check the 3rd brake light instead of just checking for the standard brrake lights.

Hi there! Both of you are absolutely correct!

Took the car to PML to check and purchase spares if necessary. The bulb was fine, but for some reasons, the bulb holder in contact with the bulb melted. Ok... slightly deformed is a more accurate description but scary.....

It probably caused electrical problems due to the melting. Had to replace both for a total of $6.

Just a side thought. If this could happen to a brake light bulb, I would be concerned if there are parts that are not protected from heat (eg. in the engine bay).

it's common. the bulb holder for e46 also has a bad habit of circuit problems after some time of use.

Re: "Check Brake Lights" Warning

sierrasg said:
The "Check Brake Lights" warning on my e39 came on a couple of weeks back. Upon checking, found that the LHS brake light blew and I opted to replace both brake lights at PML.

It was a straightforward replacement that took about a minute to change and cost less than 5 dollars. The warning also disappeared.

Problems started recently. Intermittently, the "Check Brake Lights" warning would appear and disappear after some minutes.

Nothing was actually wrong with the brakelights - both were bright and worked perfectly. I took both lights out and checked if they were fitted properly a couple of times. Nothing was visually amiss.

Anyone encountered similar problems and what's the best way to resolve this?

Thanks,
Alvin.

my e46 have e similar intermitent problem.. i found it very disturbing but used to it and didnt bother it much until my rear signal went haywired.. check e signal bulb no problem..
but the plastic connector connected to the panel was burned and melted.. :(

went to pml got it change for foc as my car have not pass the 3yr warranty :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500aeac
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back