Chipping your 3.0l BMW

Racebred

Core Group Members
you may get about 10bhp or so, depending on what chip you buy, you WILL consume more fuel, but your top speed may no change much, maybe 2-5kmh

depending on what other mods you would like to do to your car. it's good to mentally plan out what sort of mods you want to do, so you may compliment them all. maybe you can do a search within our forum for the past topics on ecu chipping that we discussed.

Just in case RB was not clear as to what mods compliment the ecu... please see below:

a. cold air induction
b. exhaust
c. headers
d. pulleys

and the list goes on...

Trigger, who quoted you 18bhp? Sounds too good to be true. What chip is that? I'm interested too.

Trigger, there are a lot of chips out there... and they all claim 15+ hp... but not all of them deliver... so be careful

Ermm.. heard that the OBIT chip is not bad.. some of the guys here have it in the cars already... SMYuen, please say something...

I am actually running a reprogrammed BMW ECU right now, but its for a completely different purpose.

I had Hiop reprogramming done by J4C on my $46 320i last year. There was definite improvement in engine response and torque. Definite. Not psychological. It was felt by others driving the car as well.
I don't know about OBIT though.

A mundane question.

Does anyone knows if PML actually and unknowingly erases and replaces the modified ignition/fuel mapping when your 'chipped' or reprogrammed car goes in for servicing as I know that they sometimes do software upgrading at the same time ( without informing the customer ) as part of the servicing package?

Usually they would't! PML will only touch your ECU when reprogramming is needed. For normal service, they will not touch your ECU at all.

no, you have to tell them.

some of them siao on, will upgrade software as and when they receive them from BMWAG.

same goes for your drop-in filter, your own Dot 5.1.... if you never tell them, and their computer records states that 2 yrs you havent change brake fluid, they will replace fluid for you and your expensive Dot 5.1 literally down the drain.

same goes for maybe nitrogen gas in your tyres, etc...

Thats right.. I try tell not to touch the ECU on my car... btw, does anyone know if the SMG computer unit is a seperate unit from the ECU or combined?

Hmmm... like that I might go and have PML update the SMG software on my car.. hehe

MRacer77 said:
Ermm.. heard that the OBIT chip is not bad.. some of the guys here have it in the cars already... SMYuen, please say something...

I am actually running a reprogrammed BMW ECU right now, but its for a completely different purpose.

Hi,

sorry I am late in responding... heehee

Anyway, like I mentioned - dyno wiase absolute gains nothing to cry about after OBIT - but certainly very linear power curve and horizontal torque curve.

By butt feel (though many will pay scant respect to..) - I am sure there is a difference. On the N-S last trip to cameron - so much more comfortable keeping pace with cars in front. Very quick rev climbs, very steady delivery. Day to day driving - much more engine poke. Much more torque available at all revs. Sort of "optimising" engine performance rather than "increasing" engine performance.

All in all, i am happy with what I paid for even though figures dont tell much. It is the overall driving experience that has improved tremedously.

Cheers!

:wavey:

SMYUEN said:
MRacer77 said:

Hi,

sorry I am late in responding... heehee

Anyway, like I mentioned - dyno wiase absolute gains nothing to cry about after OBIT - but certainly very linear power curve and horizontal torque curve.

By butt feel (though many will pay scant respect to..) - I am sure there is a difference. On the N-S last trip to cameron - so much more comfortable keeping pace with cars in front. Very quick rev climbs, very steady delivery. Day to day driving - much more engine poke. Much more torque available at all revs. Sort of "optimising" engine performance rather than "increasing" engine performance.

All in all, i am happy with what I paid for even though figures dont tell much. It is the overall driving experience that has improved tremedously.

Cheers!

:wavey:

Hi SMYUEN,

Heard from someone that ORBIT has some problem with gear hunting? Is it true?

Cheers..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back