Claybar or Paint Cleaner?

Re: Claybar or Paint Cleaner?

nah, not many ppl are into this in the forum....u will end up with just the few of us...haha. its a time-consuming plus tiring process so most folks round here would rather pay to get it done than DIY.

if you pay they don't clean the paint thoroughly (though there are exceptions). They put gloss over the car. So unfulfilling.

Just wanted to add a few comments...

Thorough surface preparation is of utmost importance for any sealants to last and protect. Here’s what I would suggest to achieve it at the DIY level.

1. You can try dish washing detergent for the first time before you plan to wax the car. Dawn Dish Washing Liquid is a good example and you can get it from Cold Storage.

Note that you do not have to use it for subsequent washes but perhaps a year later when you want to re-prep the surface again. This solution will remove everything previously put on the car for a brand new start! The wash should make the surface squeaky clean. This is the correct & desirable result

2. Clay bar should not be a chore but rather a "glide and feel" job. Use normal shampoo (no Dawn) with a sponge/ mitt or put it into a spray bottle; OR spray on QD, and load up the surface until it is really wet and/or soapy. Glide the claybar with your palm, fingers slightly clenched and move in an up & down; side to side motion, pausing to feel the surface with the other hand (fingers). You do not have to "rub" the claybar in order to remove surface contaminants.

Let’s look at this from this angle. If you have a splinter on one of your fingers, do you try to use a tweezer to gently remove or vacuum to suck out completely? We will not try to rub out the splinter or attempt to 'chop' the edges with a knife, with the remaining part still lodged under the skin, right?

So it’s important to clay bar before using any paint cleanser or AIO products. The latter process will ‘chop’ off contaminants if it were not taken out in the first place with clay bar.

Clay bars will not remove clear coats, unless one purposefully uses abrasives in line with the clay. “Dry” claying might also ruin the clear coat – introducing scratches and discoloration, to some extent.

Hope this helps.

hey guys, i just popped by Carrefoure yesterday....bought myself the meguiar's one step compound and the ultimate quik detailer....there are a few detailers by meguiar's so naturally i bought the better one available. anyway, 1 piece of good news, u can get 8 bucks off when u spend 80 bucks at Carrefoure on anything so it was quite a nice surprise when the cashier told me abt it and gave me the 8 bucks rebate that i didn't expect.....ended up going back to buy 2 tins of baby milk powder....haha

can you buy the clay bar at Carrefour? I do not remember seeing it there. Autobacs only carries soft 99 claybar... so where to buy meguiar's claybar?

Both...

Clay bar the surface...then cleaner..

I have tried using QD as a lube for the clay bar, but what i hate about it is the mess it creates. Furthermore, I experienced the "not enough lube" problem all the time using QD, resulting in clay residue on the car. After a lot of experimenting, I've found that just using a strong dilution of car-wash (with water) is perfect for me as a clay lube. Great lubrication and no clay residue on the car.
Nowadays, i wash each panel using the two bucket method, i clay the panel, and then rewash at one go.

four4s;287356 said:
I have tried using QD as a lube for the clay bar, but what i hate about it is the mess it creates. Furthermore, I experienced the "not enough lube" problem all the time using QD, resulting in clay residue on the car. After a lot of experimenting, I've found that just using a strong dilution of car-wash (with water) is perfect for me as a clay lube. Great lubrication and no clay residue on the car.
Nowadays, i wash each panel using the two bucket method, i clay the panel, and then rewash at one go.

good that ure using car shampoo water....QD is for QD..some QDs contains oil.so abstain from it at all cost when concerns Claying.

Prepare some diluted car shampoo in a spray bottle and go along with it while ure claying.

went down to GIant found QD+Clay pack BUT MINUS the clay!!!... asked the store and they said the clay bar isnt there.. noow I am still trying to figue this one out.. :)

LOLz! That's a elusive claybar, this Meguiar!

Just to affirm my finding that the old version bar for Meg's is crap, I took it out and found it to be CRAP and can't really use properly without leaving clay residue on the paint.

Only the latest version works fine!

I found 3M clay at NTUC XTRA at AMK Hub. tried it seems good and no residue used zymol diluted with water as lubricant, worked great... will clay the whole car over this weekend

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uk88ceo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back