Component Speaker Recommendation?

Re: Component Speaker Recommendation?

If yo're not really anal abt these things and to keep costs down..just slap on the amps which can be mounted onto the back of yr rear seat via e boot. If u wan to u could actually mount the sub facing into the rear seat (if u take out yr rear seat u will see a bmw logo in e centre which u can cut around (i didnt do that tho) or just get a custom 12 or 15in sub box and dump it in e boot. To get more bass into the cabin u can cut out a bit of the steel frame in the middle of where yr rear speakers sit (thats what i did). Ken got nice set up...and clean ! woot

Amps - hmm u could try Steg..pretty good and compact size!

lai ah...lelong lelong.... i got 2 better-than-average amps for sale....plus a 12" dual coil sub with customsied sub box as well...all to let go at cheap cheap price.

PM me for more details.

back to the thread...
it all depends on budget, allow some flexibility to increase it though...
e46...can fit DLS nicely without modding, but modding the door does improve the sound quality.
Focal's better sets have big magnets so....definitely need modding the door. The thinner models may not be good enough for some of us (but highly subjective). And DLS and Focal's characteristics are totally different.

if u want nice carpentry, then prepare to pay more... if u dun need, then save on it and spend on the hardware.

I would strongly suggest mounting the tweets on the A-pillar, but if u are running passive, chances are, it wouldnt matter that much if u tape it on the dashboard. Don't let the IU block it though, like wat Kenntona said.

i would suggest u keep the amp for the subwoofer separate though.

Breyton;395146 said:
Yeah, didn't take the risk when I was running up to KL (was going up and down every week) - I just plonked the spare tyre in the boot like any other cargo during those trips.

LOL! Yeah...i'm definately gonna wanna keep the spare tyre in that case :) Will need the cargo space for luggage and stuff.

Rastaman;395154 said:
If yo're not really anal abt these things and to keep costs down..just slap on the amps which can be mounted onto the back of yr rear seat via e boot. If u wan to u could actually mount the sub facing into the rear seat (if u take out yr rear seat u will see a bmw logo in e centre which u can cut around (i didnt do that tho) or just get a custom 12 or 15in sub box and dump it in e boot. To get more bass into the cabin u can cut out a bit of the steel frame in the middle of where yr rear speakers sit (thats what i did). Ken got nice set up...and clean ! woot

Amps - hmm u could try Steg..pretty good and compact size!

I'm actually more anal about aesthetics then i am about sound quality believe it or not. I'd rather a decent enough setup that is well incorporated into the car...

Guess i'll have to try and join u guys for one of your meetups to checkout the setups and get better ideas :)

oneHeadlight;395157 said:
lai ah...lelong lelong.... i got 2 better-than-average amps for sale....plus a 12" dual coil sub with customsied sub box as well...all to let go at cheap cheap price.

PM me for more details.

back to the thread...
it all depends on budget, allow some flexibility to increase it though...
e46...can fit DLS nicely without modding, but modding the door does improve the sound quality.
Focal's better sets have big magnets so....definitely need modding the door. The thinner models may not be good enough for some of us (but highly subjective). And DLS and Focal's characteristics are totally different.

if u want nice carpentry, then prepare to pay more... if u dun need, then save on it and spend on the hardware.

I would strongly suggest mounting the tweets on the A-pillar, but if u are running passive, chances are, it wouldnt matter that much if u tape it on the dashboard. Don't let the IU block it though, like wat Kenntona said.

i would suggest u keep the amp for the subwoofer separate though.

Got a picture of the customised sub box? :) Might be keen...

As for the speakers, what kinda price range should i be looking at? As i shared earlier, i don't necessarily need high end. I've noted from past post that the Focals and all run the range of close to a grand or more. Is that about right for the DLS as well? Cant say i'm aware of the different characteristics between the 2 speakers tho.

As for nice carpentry...i'm mainly concerned about the carpentry for the sub box and how it'll incorporate to the trunk and how the amps are gonna be mounted. As for the tweeters, i'll probably stick to the existing enclosures for now. I don't believe the IU should be in the way in it's current position though.

Any real reason to separate the amps though? The reason i'm thinkin the 4 channel with the last 2 channels bridged is to save on space. Plus, what's the diff in having 2 separate 2 channels?

Sorry for the twenty questions. Interesting info i'm getting on here.

Lastly, anyone has any leads on JL Audio equipment? My buddy in the states swears by em.

if money no object.... go full JL Audio haha...anyway, they have a super slim 12" sub.

i will try take a pic of my sub... it is sloped at the rear (my previous ride is e46, ya so..it was "sloped for e46" )

if u dun need fanciful carpentry, meaning u dun really care how it looks...installers will simply mount an amp board behind your rear seat, and then mount the amps, fuse etc on them, but will hide the wires/RCAs etc. This is the cheapest manner.

don't mount the tweets in the door, rather it be on the dashboard. just double side tape it. Altho going higher on the A pillar is a better method.

regarding having an independent amp for subs...thats theoretically better, since subs draw alot of power... it gets techincal as well, depending on the amp class (AB, or D etc). It depends on the amp as well....stable at wat ohm etc...the sub too... so to make things short, the experts used an independent amp for the sub. :)

i honestly have lost track abit on the retail prices... since i normally get better than retail prices too, so cant comment much. Certain brands are good...but not all the models are good.

most important is to have a budget...

Haha...ok so JL Audio is up there in the 'high end' range eh? I guess if i were lookin for equipment that's gonna be a keeper, it wouldnt be such a bad idea to invest in JLs eh? :) And yeah, i've read about the slimline 12" sub. I heard it's got some massive output for it's thin profile...i also saw the price :p

Sure, a pic of the sub box would be great. Does it take up the whole width of the back or just a small part of it? pics would answer this i guess.

Ok...so by ur explanation and by my tendency to want to preserve aesthetics, i'm gonna need decent carpentry :p So u really think mounting the tweets on the door would be a bad idea? Stickin em on the dash is gonna look funny..worse case is i gotta consider the A pillars i guess

I get what you're saying on the independent amp for subs etc. But wouldnt this be mitigated somewhat if i use the right combination? ie. Go with 4 ohm Components that's close to the RMS outputs of the Amps first 2 channels and similarly find a suitable sub capable of handling the bridged output of the last 2 channels of the amp at 4 ohms too? The compromise i can see is that the subs will be driven by a type AB as opposed to a D (which i know is more prefered). Most amps would specify at which ohms their stable and i know that most amps when bridged often prefer a 4 ohm load, so the only other compromise there would be that i'd be sacrificing more power output on a 2 ohm load. Again the aesthetics factors plays a large role in this. Its just trickier to find space to mount 2 amps versus one.

As for the budget...yeah...i'm still on the fence with that one...it's either go with a simple setup and low budget or go nuts with a keeper of a system that i can take with me all the way :) Decisions decisions :p

ok..we are pretty much certain u know more than the basics... and that means u surely can tell the good from the bad, at least in your own opinion.

JL Audio makes some of the best stuff, and i think most people would find it hard to counter that. BUT fewer people talk about their component speakers...its usually their subs and their amps that takes more credit. I would absolutely be delighted if u are willing to try the slimline 12" sub... havent heard one so far, and i believe i could quite easily gather a queue to listen to it. :)

ICE is something u can keep.... if u are willing to spend, then spend it. Help the economy in the process anyway. I think u can take the approach of finding a pair of speakers u really like, and work your budget from there. Good speakers needs good amps, and not so good speakers probably doesnt need that good amps (i think). Its no point if say, u get a $500 pair of CDTs (with all due respect) and then power them with Genesis amps.

as for the amp for the sub. Actually...contrary to what u said, if i read correctly since its pretty late...u shud go for class AB amp for the sub. But class AB amps cost more. Class D is more efficient, but lacks control.
one of the key reasons of getting a dedicated amp for the sub is due to power draw.
subs generally need at least 300rms. If u get a 4 ch amp...and u bridge 2ch into 1 for the sub, at 4ohm... u need to know the power ratings and the sub. Driving subs at 4ohm is a waste...since at 2ohms u can get more bang for buck.
And there are cases which amps blew because it couldnt cope with the power draw. Of cos the fuse would help etc.. there are alot of variables.
of cos u are running passive...so there aint alot to talk in terms of setting gain etc... it comes into play more if u are running active. Even on passive, how the amp allows u to control settings affects things. Then again , depends on your expectations, which depends on your willingness to spend...see...its complex !

i have 3 amps mounted on my amp board..which is exposed..has no fanciful carpentry, lighting etc... cos its just something i cant be bothered with. Aesthetics inside my boot doesnt concern me to be honest...as long it serves its function.

i would strongly suggest u mount the tweets on the A pillar, doesnt cost alot...and makes a world of difference. And go ahead mod the door...really.

oh...i think if u wanna listen to a proper focal setup...go PM geeknick hehe...

Thanks for taking the time to respond...and at 2.30 in the morn no less? :p

I'm afraid most of my knowledge comes from reading up and sponging off a good friend of mine. Not much practical experience other then my previous car setup and it too was a simple passive setup.

Regarding the JLs, any idea which installer deals with them and where i can get them if i wanted to go that route? Would it make much sense to get them directly from the US? I figured support would be an issue in that case. The slimline TW13s definately look sweet! Though i am not quite sold on getting one at this point...price is still pretty steep :p

Regarding the amp type preference, my bad, when i meant that it was prefered, it shoulda come with a caveat...that Ds are mostly prefered by SPL lovers and not so big with the SQ folks. Like u put it, it gives most bang for buck. I guess i prefer some 'BOOM' once in a while :p

Very good point raised on the pairing of speakers and amps. I'm slowly leaning towards a mid end type setup seeing that i'll be going passive and am not overly critical about achieving excellent sound quality...and besides, anything would be better then the crappy stock system. Will definately consider the tweeter mounts on the A-pillar.

there is a great difference between SQ and SPL....but that is not to say SQ will not have the ummph in sub-bass. Its such a cliche, but of cos its your preference. I personally would never let the sub-bass drown the other freq, which is what usually happens in SPL setups.

u probably would incur alot of $$ if u decide to go JL audio.... most installers push certain brands, so may or may not attend to you unless u get them to import. Unless u know the in-the-knows well, who are willing to share some lobangs with u...which tend to lower the costs alot.

oneHeadlight;395372 said:
there is a great difference between SQ and SPL....but that is not to say SQ will not have the ummph in sub-bass. Its such a cliche, but of cos its your preference. I personally would never let the sub-bass drown the other freq, which is what usually happens in SPL setups.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not looking at an SPL setup by any means. I think i'm pretty set on the goal of mainly improving the existing setup. I just enjoy the process of researching and learning new things :)

:) ....glad that u are enjoying the process....cos it tends to trouble most people...

Southpaw,

So have you completed your setup? Very keen to know the outcome because i am in the same boat as you, except that i know nuts about ICE.

Hi klseah,

Well, i've pretty much decided on the various parts i would want. Now the problem is actually finding them :(

Lookin for the JL Audio HD 600/4 to power the front component speakers and subwoofer. And am seriously considering the 13TW5 shallow sub from JL Audio (if i can find em :p)

As for components...am still undecided...but am considering one of the morel components...but then again, i haven't quite heard how they sound yet so that's not confirmed. I'm waiting to get my amp so that i can test em out on various speakers and see which ones i like best.

I guess until all this goes into the car, plans can possibly change...but that's kinda what i have in mind at the moment :)

I don't quite know what the installation charges are gonna be at this point seeing that i may not be getting the parts from the shops themselves. But i'm hoping to keep it in the region of 3k. The amplifier and sub alone are already taking up more then half of this budget. :p

Oh this ones for you, oneheadlight...one thing interesting to note is that the JL Audio HD amplifiers are in fact full range class D amps. They have this new single cycle control switching technology thingiemajig that supposedly yields more accurate amplification output. And all in a sweet compact form factor. i like! :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lentoria28

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back