Considering renew COE. Share your ideas to make an old F10 look and feel new again!

Dear all
I am planning to get a renew coe 523i.
Can anyone recommend a workshop so that I can request the dealer/owner to send in the car for inspection/evaluation?

Usually how long is the downtime & how does it differ from those evaluation service by STA?
I am also assuming the evaluation by outside workshop is more affordable and/or more comprehensive and "honest" than STA ?

Pick ANY of our site sponsors they are ALL BMW experts and can give you a honest answer.
Downtime if you make an appointment should not be longer then 45 mins to 1 hour for the inspection plus test drive.
Prices for pre-purchase inspections should be the same or not far off from one another.
Don't knock STA they are impartial and fair nothing dishonest about them and they see MANY kinds of cars.

Keep in mind that the renewed COE road tax goes up annually by 10% to a max of 5 years totaling 150% of your current road tax which is VERY expensive. Add another 3-5k a year in estimated repairs/servicing and see if it still makes sense vs buying a new Jap car for the same depreciation.

Hi I am new to BMW. I am considering to sell my C class for a F10. Either 520i or 523i. Any guru here able to advise what to look up for? And what is the common issues with F10.

Is there any big ticket item to fix I need to look out for before buying?

I am eyeing 2011/2012 f10 and renew when pqp is lower.

Thanks in advance.

Hi I am new to BMW. I am considering to sell my C class for a F10. Either 520i or 523i. Any guru here able to advise what to look up for? And what is the common issues with F10.

Thanks in advance.
Refer to this thread
https://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/threa...-liao-mileage-235-000km-should-i-renew.91050/

RSSID has provided an extensive list of items to look out for for renewing COE cars and it should apply for ALL MAKES of vehicles, not just for BMWs.

good luck in your search!

Thanks in advance.

The following is only an opinion of mine as I've considered both those models before as well and done quite a bit of research.
That being said feel free to disagree with the MANY points below as open discussion is why this forum was setup.
Many people buy the F10 for many different reasons i'm just a person whos interested in the performance side of things but with an eye on my limited budget, hence no 535i or M

Personally I'd skip both the 520 and 523.

The 520 (N20 Engine) is just underpowered even though it shares the same 4 cylinder as the better valued 528i. The depreciation is a little lower depending on what you can find. But being underpowered also means you're using more gas to get to speed and maintain that speed so its not as good on fuel economy vs performance.

The 523 has very little going for it other then the supposedly silky smooth inline 6 cylinder. Its a 2.5L (pay more road tax) burns more fuel, less power gains when modified, heavier, and slower then the 528i.

Basically ALL F10s all share the same inherent flaws that accompany ANY aging bmw, and unless you
1. Are satisfied with the performance (HP) you get for the next 10 years
2. Looking at a specific depreciation within that range

I wouldn't rec either one over the 528i.

Benefits of the 528i (N20 Engine)
1. Easier to mod with HUGE power gains and improvements
2. 2.0L engine albeit sounds like a bloody diesel engine at startup and standing outside of the car.
3. Less road tax
4. Lighter and did I mention MORE (HP)

Things to look out for in ANY N20 2.0L engine

1. Timing chain guide . Made of plastic and known to crack sending bits of plastic into the oil sump, worst case it blocks the oil pickup line starving the engine of oil and boom no more engine. Or just as bad the tensioner breaks, the engine jumps time, pistons hit valves or a cylinder goes through the block, but end result is also a big BOOM !
Replacement of the updated chain and guide and tensioner is required. Parts not expensive but labour is. Known to fail just about the 100,000 mile mark i.e 160,000kms or less.

2. Did I mention its an old aging bmw ? Leaks leaks leaks EVERYWHERE and everything, essentially its an old BMW and its got a reputation to uphold.

3. ALL the fluids have GOT to be replaced brake fluid especially as it absorbs water vapour in the air, radiator fluid has to be flushed out etc etc etc you get the idea.

4. Under carriage bushings and both engine and transmission mounts.

5. Electrical problems up the whazoo bring a scan tool with you to check for faults many out there and you're going to be using it FREQUENTLY so a good one goes a long way. Lookup blue driver or CARLY (BMW specific)

6. PRE purchase inspection is a MUST, dealer doesn't allow for it just walk away, no shortage of F10s in the market.

7. Lemon law is implied but get it written into the contract with specifics like engine transmission and a/c to be covered.

8. Get friendly with a workshop and stick to it. You're going to be on 1st name basis with them if you're going to carry a BMW past 10 years.

Check my thread for whats been done so far on my 528i pics and prices mods etc avail
https://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/threads/f10-528i-mods-and-maintenance-pics.87979/

I wish you the best coming from a MERC it'll be a huge difference (expense) in ownership experience if I haven't scared you yet go lookup youtube F10 problems or issues.

In the words of scotty kilmer, welcome to your biggest money pit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sco...hUKEwjKkq6Y_pbqAhWwjEsFHaD9Da4Q_AUoAnoECAEQAg

Hi all, been reading up a lot on BMW 528i as I saw a "rainbow 528i" on SGM, planning to sell my 2017 CLA for this renew F10... not sure If this car belongs to any owner here.

Hi all, been reading up a lot on BMW 528i as I saw a "rainbow 528i" on SGM, planning to sell my 2017 CLA for this renew F10... not sure If this car belongs to any owner here.

CLA not treating you right ? If you wanna buy a aging BMW you're going to have to put up with all its problems and there are plenty of them.
My 528i 8 years old now has gone through at least 2 set of engine mounts and gearbox mounts. Oil leaks galore, failed soft closing door lock and soon cooling issues as the plastics have now changed colour to brown instead of black.

My family's W204 C class drive for 10 years 1 set of engine mounts and 1 coolant expansion tank only. Not discouraging you here but go in with both eyes WIDE open and know what its going to cost you not only in $ but in time doing all the repairs.

CLA not treating you right ? If you wanna buy a aging BMW you're going to have to put up with all its problems and there are plenty of them.
My 528i 8 years old now has gone through at least 2 set of engine mounts and gearbox mounts. Oil leaks galore, failed soft closing door lock and soon cooling issues as the plastics have now changed colour to brown instead of black.

My family's W204 C class drive for 10 years 1 set of engine mounts and 1 coolant expansion tank only. Not discouraging you here but go in with both eyes WIDE open and know what its going to cost you not only in $ but in time doing all the repairs.

Haha so true, hence the price difference between a BMW and a corresponding 'same class" Merc....

Haha so true, hence the price difference between a BMW and a corresponding 'same class" Merc....

Planning to get a renew 528i that comes with 10-year coe, and will set aside some money for repairs hopefully it will last for years, of cos breaking down due to some part along the way is inevitable, mainly the space of the car and power is what I'm looking at... can't afford for newer cars :X

Get a 8 or 9 year old 528i. Don't let the dealers makan you in that sense. Dealers will offer a paltry paper plus 8 or 9k for body from private sellers top up 1xcoe then make 20k on you.
Drive it for the remaining 1 or 2 years then decide if you want to put up with all the issues. If not simply scrap it and be done with the marque.
Frankly speaking electric is the future a brand new tesla will be about 15k depre and be faster and better then the 528i

Planning to get a renew 528i that comes with 10-year coe, and will set aside some money for repairs hopefully it will last for years, of cos breaking down due to some part along the way is inevitable, mainly the space of the car and power is what I'm looking at... can't afford for newer cars :X

I think if your shop does a good job in maintaining the car, checking for error codes each time you bring it there, then you shouldnt get any sudden breakdowns.
Unless ECU suddenly stop working which happened for me.

I was looking at those renewed ones and also those facelifted ones (2013) ones to me it looks nicer with the lead headlights, but the price.. *Faint* thinking renew might be a cheaper option.

Get a 8 or 9 year old 528i. Don't let the dealers makan you in that sense. Dealers will offer a paltry paper plus 8 or 9k for body from private sellers top up 1xcoe then make 20k on you.
Drive it for the remaining 1 or 2 years then decide if you want to put up with all the issues. If not simply scrap it and be done with the marque.
Frankly speaking electric is the future a brand new tesla will be about 15k depre and be faster and better then the 528i

The price is not cheap too, as they know likely we would want to take and renew
I'm actually looking for those with black interior including their top, not much unit has it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ngcchinacom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back