Conversion to manual for E36 316i(A)

GearOSv2

Hi all,

Been reading alot on this forum. Truly a car enthusiasts forum with nice people like Joon who is giving lots of nice writeouts.

I know it's not that easy to convert an auto car to manual car. However, I don't really find any straight answer to my own question.

1) Is it that troublesome to get it convert? I saw a thread where they say need PML letter, but then somewhere down the thread, PML says they don't do that. So what is the correct way? Freelance garage? Jaybee bro? Will I get into trouble with Viacom if I convert it from auto? Will they ask lots of question or don't even allow me to renew my road tax?

2) What's a typical FC like for a E36 316i(M)? (sorry, didn't try to search the forum because it's soooo slllooooowwwww, haha)

3) Anyone knows the history of this: Used BMW 316IA Car for Sale from Singapore, Lucky Win - sgCarMart If let's say 1) is not troublesome at all, do you think it's wise to get this and have it converted to manual? :) Or should I wait for old bird like Bison, JT, Joon (I doubt he will ever 'upgrade') their ride and I take over from them, hahaha.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Conversion to manual for E36 316i(A)

316iM FC is range from 10 -11km/l for a 215/45/17 (m43)
If you are looking for a 316im M43, give an to offer Bison or myself:lol2:. Seems that only 2 of us driving a m43 manual here in this forum.

jin teck;428868 said:
316iM FC is range from 10 -11km/l for a 215/45/17 (m43)
If you are looking for a 316im M43, give an to offer Bison or myself:lol2:. Seems that only 2 of us driving a m43 manual here in this forum.

Errr.. allooo.. I oper 2 stick satay plus 1 kopi-o-kow... ai hog mai??.....:nehnehhh:

316 auto good. No need to convert. Otherwise belong to same gang as ah teck, jawzsg and bison....No good, bad influence, ...they all drive beri fast....

C3PO, we only follow Chairman Jawzsg n hogging the road.

iscoupe is still selling his ride leh!
go for the coupe, no regrets....

I regretted though for letting one go too soon!!! heh...

Actually.. conversion to manual is not difficult, for the E36 it's extremely easy.

I'm goin to try to answer your questions.. if you have further questions DO NOT PM ME, instead ask here. My PM Box is always full I've given up answering them.

Legally I'm not sure about converted cars.. it's a grey area.. I've never had a problem with mine and I just drive it in for inspection.. but my car is stock, no spoilers no stickers with full stock exhaust.. so I'll leave that up to you.

As for the conversion itself, I did all the work personally, so I don't know what the local workshops charge, it shouldn't take more than a day or so, but most mechanics make it sound more difficult than it really is. There is a lot of misinformation out there spread around the forums. I've done the conversion myself so this is what I discovered.

All E36's are factory manuals. They are built on a manual chassis and the cars designated to be auto are left without a transmission until the final stage of production where the auto is retrofitted. So the Auto->Manual conversion is more of an automatic-delete than a real conversion. The parts you need are:

1. Clutch pedal (bolts right up to the pedal cluster, you can also buy a manual brake pedal or cut your auto one)
2. Clutch lines (you'll need to hardline that runs from the firewall to the engine and 2 soft lines, you don't need a clutch reservoir coz on BMW's share a clutch/brake reservoir)
3. Manual transmission + mounts + driveshaft
4. Shifter linkage

Parts-wise cost me about $300 (without transmission) Everything else you can use back, ECU is the same, engine harness is the same. Electrically, you only need to do 2 things, bypass the starter relay and connect the reverse lights, 1/2hr job.

I don't know about 4cyl fuel consumption, but on my engine I can get almost 10km/L normal driving which surprised me for such a big engine... I recommend manual conversion for all E36's :)

joon;428965 said:
Actually.. conversion to manual is not difficult, for the E36 it's extremely easy.

I'm goin to try to answer your questions.. if you have further questions DO NOT PM ME, instead ask here. My PM Box is always full I've given up answering them.

Legally I'm not sure about converted cars.. it's a grey area.. I've never had a problem with mine and I just drive it in for inspection.. but my car is stock, no spoilers no stickers with full stock exhaust.. so I'll leave that up to you.

As for the conversion itself, I did all the work personally, so I don't know what the local workshops charge, it shouldn't take more than a day or so, but most mechanics make it sound more difficult than it really is. There is a lot of misinformation out there spread around the forums. I've done the conversion myself so this is what I discovered.

All E36's are factory manuals. They are built on a manual chassis and the cars designated to be auto are left without a transmission until the final stage of production where the auto is retrofitted. So the Auto->Manual conversion is more of an automatic-delete than a real conversion. The parts you need are:

1. Clutch pedal (bolts right up to the pedal cluster, you can also buy a manual brake pedal or cut your auto one)
2. Clutch lines (you'll need to hardline that runs from the firewall to the engine and 2 soft lines, you don't need a clutch reservoir coz on BMW's share a clutch/brake reservoir)
3. Manual transmission + mounts + driveshaft
4. Shifter linkage

Parts-wise cost me about $300 (without transmission) Everything else you can use back, ECU is the same, engine harness is the same. Electrically, you only need to do 2 things, bypass the starter relay and connect the reverse lights, 1/2hr job.

I don't know about 4cyl fuel consumption, but on my engine I can get almost 10km/L normal driving which surprised me for such a big engine... I recommend manual conversion for all E36's :)

:goodup: Well ......Said....By far the best technical answer i come across again....by you Joon...!!!! .KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!:)

Hi Joon,

Thanks for the insight. I really need to salute you. You are my idol. hahaha everything also do yourself :) I enjoyed reading all your post on custom brake and M3 half cut installation. True DIY spirit as some forumer had mentioned.

Okay. As I am not technically sound. I think I will just give up the idea and wait patiently for a manual to show up. Unless I really got lots of time to do my own research.

I will go ebay find the dvd you mentioned before and see how it goes.

If really no more manual for me to buy then mayb i will get a auto to convert :)

Cheers,
Kimu

Get a jack and do it! Actually you need more than that..haha

link to diy: Home

i'm drivin 316iM .. runnin on 225/40/18 tyres... fc abt 9.5- 10.5 ...i'd say pretty decent :)

"Parts-wise cost me about $300 (without transmission) Everything else you can use back, ECU is the same, engine harness is the same. Electrically, you only need to do 2 things, bypass the starter relay and connect the reverse lights, 1/2hr job."

Hi guys, new here. Further to Joon's explanation, how much does the manual transmission roughly cost?

If this conversion holds true for a 316, am i right to deduce that it can also be done for an E36 318?

yes because i have done it (4 times over, for different cars..)

and i'm parting out my E36 M40b18, so if u're loking for parts, let me know. i'll post up a seperate thread on this.

Car's going ot be de-reg end of Feb, so i'm tearing it apart, see if anyone can use the parts.

senseless LTA rules + COE prices prohibit me from keeping it. and i'm still really sore about that, cos the car's running reliably and trouble free for the last 7 years i owned it.

ah well...

anyway, if u arent already convinced, as Joon mentions, it really is a no-brained kinda of "retrofit"...

my 316i used to avg 11 KM/ltr
the 318i is doing 10KM/ltr.... no matter how i drive it..:)

cheers

michael

Satine;612967 said:
If this conversion holds true for a 316, am i right to deduce that it can also be done for an E36 318?

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the response. Most appreciated.

Propel informed me that the 320,325,328 and M3 engines can all use the 320 manual gearbox...how true is this?

Actually i get only 8km/l to 10 km/l on a manual 316iM (M40)
I am running with 225/45/17 all around with oem wheels

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vin7777comco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back