Dilemna: Repair or Leave it

richlee7

Hi. Just got a huge damage on my bootlid n bumper when wifey reversed into a tree...:(

Trouble is: i actuali intend to change car within the next 2 months. Problem is: changing/repairing will cost at least a 4 figure.

Should i:
- repair n change car as original planned schedule (does it help in getting more for trade-in or scrapping if it is flawless?...)
- leave it and change car as original planned schedule (does it mean my trade-in will be less?...)

Any advise will be good for me to make a wise decision... thanks much!

Re: Dilemna: Repair or Leave it

Think in the place of a used-car salesman..... would he not be keen to slash price on your car if he can find fault(s), especially in a market like this?

It is really a decision between (1) repairing it and trade at higher price or (2) simply get out at whatever bids out there.

In (1), can the trade-in price be higher than the repair cost? Are the damage serious enough (visually) to deter buyers?

must add this one too:
can it be fixed in M'sia at a cheaper price?
they do amazing stuffs on those body work repair...

in this market i think trade in value is going to be bad either way but if you fix before you sell then it avoids him making the arguement that the car has been in an accident blah blah

one option maybe to get a quote over the phone and then go down to show the car. if he reduces his offer then you can determine whether the cost of the repair exceeds the discount he asks for. if the cost of the repair is less, then repair and go to another dealer...

i think better to repair it if its not too ex or else be prepared for kok n bull story from the dealer....plus all the oscar-winnng acting that the integrity of your car chasis might be compromised, how much blah blah blah to repair....probably try to knock off another few ks from what he wanna pay u...hehe

sorry, this is my personal experience from dealers and potential car buyers, hope i didn't offend anyone.

hi richlee 7, can share what model u driving and year of car? At today's price, selling a used car would be terrible - be prepared for a great loss. If its near end of its life, then better to just scrap it rather than paying for the repair since u never can tell the price u can get. If its still mid-life, then better to repair. Got to work out the sums to see which is the better option.

Best way is the get a quote - multiple, for trading in "current state" and comparing it against the repair quote and do a CBA... :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebai799com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back