Dirty Rims

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SL2 said:
I've noticed that after cleaning my rims in the morning, they get dirty almost immediately after I drive to the office :( . Not too sure if it has something to do with our stop pads..My previous Toyota didn't have that problem at all. For the time being, I'm cleaning the rims at least twice a day but I can't see myself doing this in the long run...imagine cleaning the rims after I drive everytime in office attire :drool: ??? Besides, the soot is not easy to remove too. Can anyone offer tips on how to remove this problem?
It's very typical of the stock brake pads to give out alot of brake dust.

Hmm, Axl used to use some dustless brakepads called "Green stuff".

They're pretty dustless, and since Axl proclaims to be the biggest bum on earth, he doesn't need to wash his ex- 19" BBS rims for a few weeks at a go.

On the downside... you may experience squealing and irritating brake noises when you use performance brakepads.

The stock brake pads do stop you very well tho!

It's the pads. I know overseas they have Axxis pads that almost eliminates brake pads not too sure which brands available locally have the same effect.

ryan said:

They're pretty dustless, and since Axl proclaims to be the biggest bum on earth, he doesn't need to wash his ex- 19" BBS rims for a few weeks at a go.

On the downside... you may experience squealing and irritating brake noises when you use performance brakepads.

I thought the pads make squeling noises only when they aren't installed properly?

SL,

Dirt means your brakes are working; a little gentle on the breaks will help to reduce the dirt….and easy on your pocket.

Your Toyota is how old? May be running on Drums instead of Disc Breaks.

Vitis Vinifera said:
SL,

Dirt means your brakes are working; a little gentle on the breaks will help to reduce the dirt….and easy on your pocket.

Your Toyota is how old? May be running on Drums instead of Disc Breaks.

but for bimmer, brake dust is notorious. No contest. Gave up cleaning them already and let the rims look gun metal finishing.
go look around... those with rims darken by brake dust are mostly bimmers. not sure other conti like MBs or VW are the same but i notice Lexus rim are cleaner.

Last time there was all the rage about this thing called "Simple Green". Somebody even told me you can prepare a diluted solution in a squirt bottle and spray on your rims as and when you like, and the brake dust will just FLOW off your rims! Is that so?!?!

Re: Dirty Rims

SL2 said:
I've noticed that after cleaning my rims in the morning, they get dirty almost immediately after I drive to the office :( . Not too sure if it has something to do with our stop pads..My previous Toyota didn't have that problem at all. For the time being, I'm cleaning the rims at least twice a day but I can't see myself doing this in the long run...imagine cleaning the rims after I drive everytime in office attire :drool: ??? Besides, the soot is not easy to remove too. Can anyone offer tips on how to remove this problem?

Hi ! SL2.

I face the same problem and I keep washing my rims :(

I have posted this questions in this forum before. The advice was to change to a bigger rims 18" and above with simple design :)

Sometime, after washing the car I just do not wish to drive it. But after a while you will just get used to it :)

You may purchase a bottle of Rims Cleaner from PML. This product is quite good and smell nice but you have to be careful not to spray on your car paint work.

Re: Dirty Rims

SL2 said:

Hi ! SL2.

If you go for BMW Advance Driver Training (ADT). You will notice the 330i rims are not so dusty as compare to our car. The way we ramped the 330i and the rims still look O.K. :whattheh:

I did question the instructor but they just brush my question and reply it is original brake pad :(

I believed there are brake pad with lesser brake dust or may be I am wrong.

hi....where can i buy the pads....
how much??
thanks !!

ryan said:
SL2 said:
It's very typical of the stock brake pads to give out alot of brake dust.

zag said:
[
but for bimmer, brake dust is notorious. No contest. Gave up cleaning them already and let the rims look gun metal finishing.
go look around... those with rims darken by brake dust are mostly bimmers. not sure other conti like MBs or VW are the same but i notice Lexus rim are cleaner.

My bimmer not too bad leh, only wash once a week. My wifey's Volvo too. About the same condition after 1 week.

I know brake dusts are inevitable so I usually clean using sponge and cloth and toothbrush ! yes toothbrush ! I used to clean them once a week till my dog started peeing on my rims till theres a stain which took me about 30 mins to rid ... and thats just 1 rim.... 3 more to go

I'm about to give up cleaning them ... :verysad:

Be thankful for brake dust -- it means your brakes are working.

Change to a simpler design, like star spoke 43. :)

E46 said:
I know brake dusts are inevitable so I usually clean using sponge and cloth and toothbrush ! yes toothbrush ! I used to clean them once a week till my dog started peeing on my rims till theres a stain which took me about 30 mins to rid ... and thats just 1 rim.... 3 more to go

Dude

Is your dog feeling insecure or something? Normally, a dog pees on something to mark its territory so that other dogs know that the territory belongs to the dog. I recommend that you have a chat with your dog and let it know that it has nothing to feel insure about.

Failing which, why don't you pay a visit to your regular pet shop and check if they have a dog-repellent?

jaskin said:
It's the pads. I know overseas they have Axxis pads that almost eliminates brake pads not too sure which brands available locally have the same effect.

Hi,
The Axxis brake pad you are talking about is the Axxis Deluxe (blue color packaging) made by Bendix Mintex Australia.
That is the normal brake pad and yes, the brake dust is very low

The performance one is called Axxis Ultimate which uses kevlar/ceramic compounds that can sustain high temp (up to 950F). This one is not considered low dust brake pads but considerably lower than what stock brake pads would produce.

Another low dust brand is called A-Gritz. Many of us have used it before and it's pretty good too.

Cheers

Hi Triple M,

Are tehre any places in Singapore where we can get Axxis pads? Regarding A-Gritz how does it fair when driven aggressively e.g at a track

Hi Jaskin
I dont think anyone brings in Axxis brake pads in Singapore
I did some search and found nothing.
In the end I ordered the Axxis Ultimate directly from the US for my M3 and the pads are arriving pretty soon. These pads are the closest to racing pads and yet very streetable. I will give my review here once fitted and run-in....so watch out this space.

As far as the A-Gritz that I told you about, it's a normal brake pads for street driving. U can get em at BVO. I am not entirely sure if there is A-Gritz for track use.

Even if there is, it's not really recommended if you dont track your car coz high performance brake pads use harder compounds which can produce squealing noise and may not be rotors friendly to normal rotors.
This type of pads is best used with cross-drilled or slotted disc rotors

Cheers

Hi Triple M,

Do you have the addy for BVO? I gotta get mine changed...I really can't stand driving a polished car with dirty rims... :hmmidont:

Cheers!

The Mixmaster said:
E46 said:

Dude

Is your dog feeling insecure or something? Normally, a dog pees on something to mark its territory so that other dogs know that the territory belongs to the dog. I recommend that you have a chat with your dog and let it know that it has nothing to feel insure about.

Failing which, why don't you pay a visit to your regular pet shop and check if they have a dog-repellent?

Think I might do that ... But I have this feeling its pissed at me for not bringing him out for a walk. But hey I'm always the one walking the dog !

Gonna start arrowing within the household to do this ...

By the way, you have tips on how to keep your car interior clean while fetching the dog to the park ? I tried cleaning his paws and combing all the fur but it seems futile. So I end up cleaning and polishing the entire interior after a walk.

Pretty tiring I must say.. I tried place newspapers on the seats but he keeps jumping around pressing my hazard light ... kicking my gears ... boy one of these days I'm gonna get in trouble big time. Does carrefour sell seat covers where you can wear over the seat or something?

SL2 said:
I gotta get mine changed...I really can't stand driving a polished car with dirty rims...

Steven bro, stick to the stock pads for the time being. (1) They have good "bite" on the rotors; (2) You might not want to complicate your warranty clause (I am not too sure about brake pads). The brake dust phenom is prominent in BMWs and MBs. Just gotta bear with more cleaning and dusting.

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noblehospitals
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back