DIY Custom Airbox for 90mm MAF

joon

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DIY Custom Airbox for 90mm MAF

Using a univeral open pod type of filter will require me to shroud it, so I'll need to construct some kind of heatshield which I'm still lazy to do.. with a shrouded airbox a heatshield isn't necessary, it's a low-cost, high-performance intake solution

My next experiment I'll use a 7" filter with the BPi velocity stack, still building a heatshield for that

ttee;457398 said:
Is there any reason you do not use universal air filters?
images

Universal air filters

That's good shit, Peter.

I'm out of town tomorrow, for a couple of weeks.
But we should lim kopi with dric some time when i'm back....

brilliant!

nice mod, was wondering when u'd be posting this since i chanced upon it bimmerforums.

Just curious, is that your expansion tank there right where the LHD E36s have the brake master cylinder? You went for a fluidyne radiator?

The Euro E36 RHD M3's have their expansion tank next to the fusebox, the Euro LHD M3's have the expansion tank where our RHD brake booster is located. The M3 expansion tank is self-bleeding, it will purge the air in the water circuit by itself.

The normal E36 tank next to the radiator is actually below the water level in the engine, so you'll need to constantly bleed it. I never like that arrangement because as the water pump cavitates at high rpm you'll bound to get some air into the system.. the M3 layout requires more plumbing though. I thought of posting a DIY on it, but it requires drilling and modifying the shock towers

I'm using an aluminum radiator.. not sure what brand it is, I got it from one of the US retailers Bimmerzone, works pretty good.. it's the same price as a new M3 radiator from Eng Soon

jason3s;457645 said:
nice mod, was wondering when u'd be posting this since i chanced upon it bimmerforums.

Just curious, is that your expansion tank there right where the LHD E36s have the brake master cylinder? You went for a fluidyne radiator?

My advice would be to remove the fan.. it will NOT improve airflow.. it's a huge obstruction, it will not add any improvement and it only adds turbulence, don't believe all the 'cyclone' intake bullshit... it would be better to construct a scoop or duct to channel outside air into the intake area, this is the way the race cars do it.. the F1 cars do it.. if properly constructed it can generate positive pressure on the intake at high speed

ttee;457775 said:
I added a 6 inch fan (without connecting to power) in front of my air filter to helps increase air flow at high RPM, Not very useful for local driving.. It seemed to be working well when I travel in M'asia. Quite smooth. I have been doing this since August last year. I call this my mini supercharger :lol:

joon;457786 said:
My advice would be to remove the fan.. it will NOT improve airflow.. it's a huge obstruction, it will not add any improvement and it only adds turbulence, don't believe all the 'cyclone' intake bullshit... it would be better to construct a scoop or duct to channel outside air into the intake area, this is the way the race cars do it.. the F1 cars do it.. if properly constructed it can generate positive pressure on the intake at high speed

Totally agree. The fan is an obstruction. Your best bet would be to create a large enough duct to channel the air in. You'll be suprised how much pulling/sucking force the throttle body has so if not for all the dirt dust and grime on the roads, I'd be running my intake in open format without any filter....LOL :screwedu: Kinda like my GT45 turbocharger setup in my ride back in Uni days...open system for drag race events. Best!

Joon

Since you're at it.....I am sure you have seen R2D's brilliant work on the 2 air scoops attached right behind the kidney grills.....

So, what's your take on that? How much improvement (in your opinion) should one expect in a relatively affordable simple mod like the R2D scoops?

I'm a tech Noob.....

Just for discussion....

Cheers!

1. Any mod that attempts to reduce intake air temperature (IAT) is a good thing.

2. How much improvement it makes will depend on your IAT delta i.e. the difference between your current IAT and the new (hopefully reduced) IAT with the mod

3. Some people can see as much as 5% gain on the dyno, and others, none at all. So it all depends on the setup

4. I think it's a worthwhile mod :)

TobyNik;491174 said:
Joon

Since you're at it.....I am sure you have seen R2D's brilliant work on the 2 air scoops attached right behind the kidney grills.....

So, what's your take on that? How much improvement (in your opinion) should one expect in a relatively affordable simple mod like the R2D scoops?

I'm a tech Noob.....

Just for discussion....

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868co
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back